Question...would you inform or not (not the typical situation presented here)

RRobaldo

Ok, it finally happened...

A few days ago I bumped into the car in front of me. The owner of that vehicle and myself exited our cars to quickly assess the damage. Very Minor ding on her bumper... then per Florida law, we agreed to drive to the nearest parking lot. (in Fl, cars which are not disabled must exit the roadway)

She (the other driver) immediately called 911 rather than take the simple route and just exchange insurance information(she wanted to "punish" me for hitting her car - more on that later).

So I had to wait for the Police to arrive...

I was outside my car inspecting the damage when the police arrived. The officer asked what happened, I explained my side, the other driver gave her side, we both told pretty much the same story so the officer faulted me for the accident and gave me a ticket. Pretty much what I expected.

Now, MANY of you, even most of the ones who claim "never talk to police" have said that you will inform if you are ever asked to exit the vehicle. Well, I was out of the vehicle dealing with a police officer in official business.

Florida is not a must inform state and I did not inform. All went well, but I was wondering in retrospect that since I was involved in official police business if I perhaps SHOULD have informed.:eek:

I can only imagine what could have happened if my shirt lifted and the officer got a glimpse and "freaked out"...

Oh, and that "rest of the story" from above... As her reward for "punishing" me by calling the police, the other driver was ticketed TOO for expired tags! Karma's a beatch ain't it?! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Now, MANY of you, even most of the ones who claim "never talk to police" have said that you will inform if you are ever asked to exit the vehicle. Well, I was out of the vehicle dealing with a police officer in official business.

Since I am the one who usually makes that statement I will respond. If I am asked to exit the vehicle during a traffic stop I can assume that things have gone south and I am going to be patted down. Under those circumstances I would definetely inform.

Florida is not a must inform state and I did not inform. All went well, but I was wondering in retrospect that since I was involved in official police business if I perhaps SHOULD have informed.:eek:

It seems the bolded part of that paragraph answered the question

I can only imagine what could have happened if my shirt lifted and the officer got a glimpse and "freaked out"...

Maybe you need to work on your concealment then

The gun is irrelevant to the discussion of the traffic accident. Informing in said situation is pointless.

If he asked to pat you down, then definitely let him know where he can find your gun.

You should have immediately showed the officer your permit to carry, informed him of where your gun was and asked how he would like you to proceed. That would have proved to him that you were a good guy, showed respect, and put the officer at ease. I would also suggest a sticky note on the back of your permit with the serial number of your firearm on it so they can run the serial number easily without having to squint to read it from your gun. You never know, maybe you would not have gotten the ticket.

As it was, you were disrespectful to the officer and the officer was in danger the entire time due to your undeclared gun.

^^^^The entire preceding post might be sarcasm.

The gun is irrelevant to the discussion of the traffic accident. Informing in said situation is pointless.

The gun is irrelevant to any traffic stop for speeding, running a stop sign, burned out light....

Well I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, only I was the one hit. I thought it through as I waited for the police to arrive. I pocket carry a LCP so no way it would become "open" but that's legal here too. I just figured since I was going to be in and out of the car alot I would simply inform him. So when the other driver went back to his car, I showed the officer my license and carry permit and stated, I have this (permit), and all that goes with it in the car's center console. Not even looking up from what he was doing, he replied okay and walked away. So I guess he didn't care in the least. It's a personal choice and depending on the circumstances I may choose differently the next time.

Why, after all we have gone thru to have CCW’s (I know, it is our right, I fully understand this) do we balk at the idea of telling a Police Officer, we have a CCW? It is not going to infringe on my day to politely inform the arriving officer I am armed and not dangerous to his or her safety. In such states that have the constitutionally correct law of concealed carry without a permit, if you are not a prohibited possessor of a firearm, why not inform and then discuss relevant issues with him/her/they, such as why you were stopped?

Why, after all we have gone thru to have CCW’s (I know, it is our right, I fully understand this) do we balk at the idea of telling a Police Officer, we have a CCW? It is not going to infringe on my day to politely inform the arriving officer I am armed and not dangerous to his or her safety. In such states that have the constitutionally correct law of concealed carry without a permit, if you are not a prohibited possessor of a firearm, why not inform and then discuss relevant issues with him/her/they, such as why you were stopped?

I have no desire to extend the length of the traffic stop to discuss my firearm. It is completely irrelevant. I don't understand why people to whom concealment is so important to them desire to disclose it at the drop of a hat to a complete stranger only because that stranger is wearing a uniform and badge.

NavyLCDR, you are my forum hero!

melvincut.jpg

Well, it seems as usual everyone is split on this. As it was I did not inform and it was a non-event. So I guess I shouldn't second guess myself. I did the right thing by not informing. Or at the very least, I did NOT do something wrong.

Dang! I have grapefruit juice running down my nose at 4AM...!!!:redface:

I have no traffic violation encounter so far (so I guess I am too young to have one)so my only police encounters were those friendly chats in front of our house, so I don't really need to tell them I am armed...

I have no desire to extend the length of the traffic stop to discuss my firearm. It is completely irrelevant. I don't understand why people to whom concealment is so important to them desire to disclose it at the drop of a hat to a complete stranger only because that stranger is wearing a uniform and badge.

http://www.tipsandjobs.com/jeffdunhamvideo/images/melvincut.jpg

^^^^ I'm with him on this one even with the picture :)

To inform or not?
If the law requires it, YES!
If not then NO!
We give up our rights by our actions, the lobby in your state worked hard for the gun rights you have in the state you live in. Some times at great expense. Elected officials, lawyers and lobbyist all worked on the exact wording and in a moment’s notice with lights flashing and you get a brain storm and have a better idea?
I know of a few cases where the person did inform and the law did not require it, and these people will tell you that was a bad idea. One guy gave the cop his drivers license and CCW card, he thought he was going to get arrested, up against the car, taking his weapon, clearing it. He thought he was being treated like a bad guy.
Another case the officer wanted the gun and tried to clear it but did not know how, muzzle not pointed in save direction finally the owner of the gun took it from the office and cleared it.
Now all of this happened because people did not trust the law, they thought if I do more than the law calls for it will go better, I will be more legal, and all of this is bull.
Now I will say if you are going to be arrested and a pat down is coming the officer might be more relaxed if you let them know, but that is not a guarantee.

Wrong logic. The logic you should be employing is that evinced in the "Don't Talk to the Police" videos. There is nothing good that can come from your divulging to a cop that you are CCW. It will either be neutral (cop not caring) or bad (you just found out where Daniel Harless got a new job). The good you impute to divulging and the bad that you impute to not divulging are both mere possibilities. The odds are swung strongly in favour of not divulging. This is, of course, moot in states with a mandatory divulging law.

And bwegner, a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy (O-4) outranks a Captain in the Army (O-3).

In NC we're required to inform in ANY official interaction. If we're just chatting, like I do all the time with state park rangers, we're under no obligation to inform.

Normally, yes, but...

I am normally in favor of informing the officer right away, but here you had the lady (other driver) and no idea how she might respond. She might panic and claim to feel threatened by the mere presence of a firearm. If you get a minute alone with the officer and politely let him know, it's probably a good thing and usually the reaction will be as mentioned above: "okay", and on with business. I long for the day, hopefully not far off, when the officer will assume that most law-abiding citizens are armed and there will be no need to inform, as though it were a strange thing to be carrying.

No bad experience here...

I was pulled over about 6 months after getting a permit to carry in MN. It was for speeding. I handed him my license with my permit to carry on top of it. I wasn't going that much over and I had my wife and kid in the car at the time. He asked me if I had a weapon and I said yes. He asked where is was located and I told him. He then said, just leave it there and I will be right back. When he came back he told me that he was just going to give me a warning and that he appreciated that I informed him that I was carrying a weapon. I went on my merry way...

Derek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back