Question About State Reciprocity?

kudzu

What is state CCW license reciprocity based on - that is, on what basis do states establish reciprocity agreements?

What is state CCW license reciprocity based on - that is, on what basis do states establish reciprocity agreements?

Sometimes it's based on nothing at all, sometimes it's based on hours of training that is the same as or similar to the states' own requirements -- classroom instruction or range time or both. For instance, let's say you live in Nevada. You can send paperwork to PA and they mail a NR (non-resident) CCW back to you. Or, you can take a similar amount and type of training as would be required in UT, and apply for a NR UT CCW, but the instruction has to be given and signed by a UT certified instructor. These are just a few scenarios and are for discussion purposes only. I'm sure there are others who may have more specific information.

While each state has their own requirements for reciprocity the most common would be 'like' training and to an extent mutual reciprocity. In SC they must have 'like' training. An example is GA residents are not required to have training so SC won't recognize them.

Oregon doesn't give reciprocity to anyone and as I understand it Washington gives reciprocity to states that will accept the Washington license. Remember everything is in a state of constant flux, and what is true today may not be in the near future. Best to contact the state you want to know about to find out before you go there.

Keith

For Minnesota it is training that meets or exceeds MN requirements. Unfortunately Minnesota training, though good, does meet the training of some states and thus MN recognizes the TX permit (training greater than ours) but TX does not recognize ours.(MN training not meeting TX standards) Lots of quirks though. Pennsylvania recognizes MN so I was a able to get a non-resident PA permit which TX does recognize.

There is a big push in Louisiana to no longer honor non-resident CCW Permits from Florida. Firearms training is the primary issue. Last year the "top cop" in Louisiana issued a document saying that Florida non-resident CCW Permit would no longer by honored by Louisiana, affective immediately, but for some reason his order was rescinded within a day or so after it being put out. Now those of us in Louisiana who have Florida non-res. permits are waiting for the the State Legislature to meet this coming March to find out how all this is going to play out.

For Minnesota it is training that meets or exceeds MN requirements. Unfortunately Minnesota training, though good, does meet the training of some states and thus MN recognizes the TX permit (training greater than ours) but TX does not recognize ours.(MN training not meeting TX standards) Lots of quirks though. Pennsylvania recognizes MN so I was a able to get a non-resident PA permit which TX does recognize.

Which is odd because I used to live in PA and they had no requirement for a written or shooting test like I had to do here. And the fee five years ago when I left was something like nineteen dollars.

Ok, so I get a bit confused on the issue of reciprocity sometimes. I see that you all are talking about training requirements by the states needing to be equal or better in some cases, and that you keep mentioning TX as one that requires equal or better for reciprocity. However, it appears that TX accepts the WA permit and WA has no requirement for training. Somehow this doesn't all jive. Am I the only one confused?

Keith

Ok, so I get a bit confused on the issue of reciprocity sometimes. I see that you all are talking about training requirements by the states needing to be equal or better in some cases, and that you keep mentioning TX as one that requires equal or better for reciprocity. However, it appears that TX accepts the WA permit and WA has no requirement for training. Somehow this doesn't all jive. Am I the only one confused?

Keith

As best I can tell Texas has two ways of recognizing permits. One is reciprocal by which the state's laws are looked at to see if Texas feels they are adequate. The other is unilateral where the governor issues a proclamation saying Texas recognizes the permits from those states. Washington is one of the proclamation states. You can read more about it here:

Link Removed

I looked this up on the TX DPS website and under the agreement with PA (my old state) the TX Atty Gnrl cited only PA's shall-issue permits and their throrough background checks as the reasons. Apparently it did not matter at all that PA has no required training nor a written test nor a shooting test, all of which TX requires of our citizens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back