Question about carrying in vehicle across non-recip states

:help: If I lock the action open on our firearms and put them in our metal (army issue) locking ammo case, do I have to store the mags and ammo separately, and if so, where? In the tool (tire iron) compartment? We have a mini van; no trunk.

We have to make an emergency trip from TN (where we both hold CCWs), thru VA, across MD, and into NJ. Hopefully we can stay in PA and apply for our non-res while there. But will the ammo case cover us as we cross MD and NJ?

Need to know ASAP, have to leave tomorrow night!! You can email response to jesus_iscomin at yahoo dot com

Thanks
NIKKI

Travel through NJ

I know that you're covered under Federal Law while traveling through NJ, but don't know the particulars. NJ law says that you have to have the ammo and the weapon in separate sealed containers both inaccessible to the driver. I have an SUV and put the ammo in my gun bag and keep my beretta in the box it came in. It doesn't need to be locked, just in a sealed container.

One other thing to keep in mind in NJ, under State law, you are not allowed to make any detours - only travel between home & range, etc.... is permitted. So if you are pulled over, I'd keep a copy of the Federal Statute in your possession as cops here don't think anyone but them should be armed.

Good luck.

New Jersey is the one state where I sure as heck would NOT make any suggestions to you despite the fact that we travel all the time and in fact travel through NJ reguarly.

Let me tell you how scarey NJ is for me as a travelling man. I hesitate at even taking my firearms through the state. Period. I have a minivan and have not one, but TWO, safes installed in the rear of the van (in the seat well where the seats fold into). Both wee things from Harbour Freight $50-$100 each. It is my understanding that the ammo is also a big issue - especially hollowpoints, which I gather are a felony for simple possession (you get less for carrying crack in your pocket). I read a story about a NY teacher whose husband left a SINGLE round floating around in the tire well in the back of their van. She got stopped and it was spotted. Felony.

NJ state laws are almost impossible for me to find and decipher. Anyone?

So. In the end? We unloaded and packed the gun in one safe, the magazine in the other safe and put our rounds in a double shipping padded envelope and mailed them to our next stop by Express Mail. I wrapped that package so well it would have taken a razer knife to open it (which it did). I used heavy duty plastic wrapping tape and taped the envelope 100%. Twice. And then I used fibreglass tape and went both ways around the padded envelope before putting the shipping label on and another coat of clear packing tape.

In the end I drove through NJ with gun in one safe, mag in other safe, ZERO ammo. I had to stop to visit cousins and had a real problem with that too.... I would rather not have stopped but driven right through but what can you do? The law is intended to permit you to transport an unloaded firearm from one state where you may legally possess same to another state where you may legally possess same and the issue of stopping to sleep along the way is grey. NJ has different ideas methinks.

If it is a short trip to NJ my advice (take it with a grain of salt) would be to leave the firearms behind. If you are doing extensive travelling like we do? Two safes or lock boxes, bolted down and locked with some serious BATFE style padlocks (pistons on the safe door) in the rearmost section of the van and ZERO; I repeat ZERO ammo onboard.

Perhaps someone from NJ experienced in these matters would care to comment but without the benefit of legal counsel that is my position on NJ. A crying shame as I have witnessed a running gun battle in Atlantic City in past years - a first on US soil for me. We took cover behind a USPS mailbox until we could beat a hasty retreat to concrete cover and GONZO! Didn't realize I could run that fast nor that I could hold my water that well.

I sure would like to be able to use one of my several CCW permits to carry in any state I travel through, same as my drivers license. It's a shame to take all this force on force (lethal force) training and practice and then find myself looking down the barrel of a big honkin' revolver with nothing to fight back with except my 5 D cell Maglite flashlight. (Ever look down the barrel of a .357? - awesome sight. And again, I never figured I would be able to hold my water.)

We have been very very lucky over the years (or very unlucky depending on how you look at it) and it is time for common sense to prevail and for our constitutional rights to be upheld the way they were intended when written - not some political yahoo's present day interpretation.

Having said all of that. Come on up here north of the 49th. and see what the gun laws are like. Abysmal. We have perhaps 4 or 5 years before we move back stateside in retirement and I sure hope we will be able to exercise our rights in all states by then. Even NJ.

When I travel (between Michigan and Arizona) Illinois is the ONLY no carry state that affects me. I had already contacted the attorney generals for every other state for a copy of their CCW regulations. Some refer to their respective website, Ohio sent a booklet which details the law in respect for CCW holders. When I traveled to the east coast, Pennsylvania's AG returned my call, what a surprise! I agree with having a "hard copy" for reference (at bare minimum). I have an Arizona CCW and a Michigan CCW (both resident permits) as I have homes in both states. But since I have a Michigan driver's license, I use my Michigan CCW for carry purposes outside Arizona. Since Arizona is "open carry" it doesn't really matter. If there isn't a reason you aren't allowed to open carry in AZ, you can. The only thing that bothers me - different laws for different states. I would like to see the federal government step in and FORCE all 50 states to adopt a uniform concealed carry policy. After all, we've earned the RIGHT to possess and carry, so why is it so difficult for some states to recognize and allow us to do so? This is why you have to ask about TRANSPORTING your firearms across state lines, because states has preempted federal law with their own. (I do oppose more Federal Government regulation as a rule in most cases)

Last edited:
50 state laws, 50 rules

The wonders of the Internet. Almost every state has their laws on-line, the NRA and others have summaries of those laws.

Read them. Some states allow you to transport a loaded gun in the passenger compartment without any license, but te gun must stay in the vehicle unless you have a license from any state. That is Missouri.

Kansas allows open carry and has no state law against having a loaded gun in the car, but many cities do nont allow that unless you have a concealed carry license that is one of about 25 that Kansas recognizes. The Office of Kansas Attorney General Steve Six

Some states arrest airline passengers who have checked firearms through and when the airline makes a stop in NY, MA, or NJ and returns the bag to the passenger to be carried to the next terminal. Not all states follow federal law.

If you drive, make sure all your lights work, your seat belt is fastened and you signal turns. So far there are no "check point Charlie" that requires "your papers."

When I travel (between Michigan and Arizona) Illinois is the ONLY no carry state that affects me. I had already contacted the attorney generals for every other state for a copy of their CCW regulations. Some refer to their respective website, Ohio sent a booklet which details the law in respect for CCW holders. When I traveled to the east coast, Pennsylvania's AG returned my call, what a surprise! I agree with having a "hard copy" for reference (at bare minimum). I have an Arizona CCW and a Michigan CCW (both resident permits) as I have homes in both states. But since I have a Michigan driver's license, I use my Michigan CCW for carry purposes outside Arizona. Since Arizona is "open carry" it doesn't really matter. If there isn't a reason you aren't allowed to open carry in AZ, you can. The only thing that bothers me - different laws for different states. I would like to see the federal government step in and FORCE all 50 states to adopt a uniform concealed carry policy. After all, we've earned the RIGHT to possess and carry, so why is it so difficult for some states to recognize and allow us to do so? This is why you have to ask about TRANSPORTING your firearms across state lines, because states has preempted federal law with their own. (I do oppose more Federal Government regulation as a rule in most cases)
Illinois does not allow you to carry or transport a loaded firearm, however as a person licensed by a state, that does meet the requirements of having an Ill,. FOID, so you can have a load firearm in your hotel room. You must transport your firearms unloaded and cased, however ammo can be in the case [not in the gun]
ISRA has collected the links to state law. Link Removed

:help: If I lock the action open on our firearms and put them in our metal (army issue) locking ammo case, do I have to store the mags and ammo separately, and if so, where? In the tool (tire iron) compartment? We have a mini van; no trunk.
Yes.
We have to make an emergency trip from TN (where we both hold CCWs), thru VA, across MD, and into NJ. Hopefully we can stay in PA and apply for our non-res while there. But will the ammo case cover us as we cross MD and NJ?
Why do you need a PA LTC, your TN CHL is honored there per the Link Removed. TN is one of the better resident States to have. Better than Utah in some cases.

Yes, however once you stop in NJ, you need to remove the firearms from your vehicle and store them in your domicile. 18 USC926A will only protect you to your final destination. Once you're at your destination in NJ, you're subject to NJ law which can be seen here.

Correct. I just make sure I stop before entering Illinois, unload and secure my pistol. Since I drive a pickup truck, there aren't many places to put it. Leaving Illinois, it's reload and on my way again.

Thank you for the posting of the federal law, NavyLT ! I had been trying to find that for a while.
I work in New Jersey and drive home to Pennsylvania after midnight (with no weapons except for a 3/4 ounce pepper spray...the largest that New Jersey law allows). Even as a "white guy," the later at night you drive in New Jersey, the more likely you are to get pulled over. The comment that was made about checking your car lights (even those little license plate lights) rings so true !!!

Correct. I just make sure I stop before entering Illinois, unload and secure my pistol. Since I drive a pickup truck, there aren't many places to put it. Leaving Illinois, it's reload and on my way again.
Illinois does treat residents and non-residents alike. All guns must be unloaded and cased. But then they can be placed behind the pickup seat. Ammo cannot be in the gun or magazine, but ammo can be in the case with the gun. Possession of a gun in Illinois [or ammo] requires an Illinois FOID or that you be licensed by your state. So my KS CCH does not allow me to carry in Illinois, but it does allow me to have a loaded gun in my room when I stop. I like to cross the river someplace other than St. Louis where I don't feel as vulnerable at a rest stop or visitor center. Louisiana, MO on Hwy 54 is a good place.
I was up there a year or two ago and was riding with an old friend in his car. Forgot to fasten my seat belt. That cost $50. The State Trooper said Illinois cares about my safety. I said if that were true, they'd let me carry my gun. He said I was probably right. They are working on it, WI too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back