potential handgun owner: recommendations needed

huntindogg 0701

can you help me pick the right handgun?:
here are my requirements:

1. 9mm, .380 auto, .40S&W
2. compact and easy to conceal.
3. minimum 6 capacity magazine.

all recommendations will be helpful.

A lot of shooting ranges rent guns, best thing to do is put your hand on as many guns as possible and shoot the ones you like.

Fist.. Welcome to the forum from Tampa Bay, Floriduh...
Guns are kinda like underwear.. A lot of it comes down to preference.. With your general question you are going to get a lot of opinion, some biased, some not..
My suggestion is make a list of requirements FOR YOU.. What are you looking to get out of a gun?? Can you purchase more than one gun?? Ate you going to carry or just use for home protection and target shooting?? What is your budget?? Are you the ONLY one who is going to use the gun or is your spouse expected to use the gun as well??? etc. etc. etc..
Here is some of MY LIST that led me to the pistol I purchased.. I was only going to buy ONE gun.

Had to be at least 9mm (nothing against a .380, my wife has one, but was not what I wanted)
Had to have at least 9 rounds total (Removes Revolvers from my list)
Had to be small enough to conceal (Pocket carry not necessary)
BUT has to be large enough to comfortably shoot at a range.
Had to come with a life time guarantee and the company had to have good customer service
Had to be comparatively light (Polymer lower 1/2)
Had to be under $350
Had to fit my hand well

I then went to several gun shows where there were LOTS of guns.. I handled many many pistols from many many manufacturers.
I narrowed down my list to about three possible choices..
I then researched the pistols (Check out forums for the specific guns and search for issues and ask questions.

Once you have decided on what you want, now you can start looking around both in stores and on-line to get the best deal you can on your purchase, make sure who you are dealing with is reputable and been in business for at least two years. You want them to be around if there are issues later.. Even if you pay a little more, local purchase may be better because you have a chance to build a relationship with the person/store.. Ask around, go to ranges, ask instructors and ask what stores other people like / don't like.
Some stores will lower the price if you pay cash.. You should ask..

But hey, IF you have LOTS of $$$, then you can skip many of these steps and just buy something and if you don't like it, buy something else!!!

Also many gun ranges (if you have them in your area) will rent you guns.. You can try several out IF they make your list!!!
Talk to a knowledgeable NRA instructor and tell them your requirements.. Remember you are still just getting an opinion, but at least it is a knowledgeable one..

I had to talk my wife down who was talking to a sales person that was ex military.. She was convinced that she was going to buy a big framed .40 cal.. I talked her down because she really wanted something that was small, easy to conceal, could carry in a small purse, and she has a plate in here wrist and really shouldn't be shooting such a large gun which could cause damage to her wrist..

I have attached a picture of what she purchased below, as well as what I carry...

Hope it helps!! Remember, one persons opinion may or may not line up with yours..

Wife's Sig P238 - .380
2q9caab.jpg

My Sccy CPX-1 - 9mm - Also comes with a flat based Magazine
2w3163q.jpg

Welcome to the forum. First of all, what are you going to be doing with the gun? Target shooting, personal defense, collecting?

Keep in mind, HOW you shoot is a far more important factor than WHAT you shoot. A money shot with a .22 is a lot better than a near miss with the big 'ol .45 ACP. I own a pile of guns from .380 to .45 ACP and I can shoot them all accurately. I guess if I could only have one gun for self defense, I would choose the 9mm. Ammo is in good supply, caliber is acceptable, performance is acceptable with hollowpoints, and recoil comparatively light.

I find my .380 LCP is very concealable for those hot days when I just want a T-shirt, but the felt recoil makes accurate double taps difficult due to it's small size. Probably better for those with smaller hands.

My Sig .45 1911 is ideal for the colder part of the year when I can wear a coat and my full size gun. Recoil is manageable and double or triple taps doable with practice.

My Ruger P345 is light, compact, and in .45 it still packs a whallop but I can conceal it on "light jacket" days unlike the full size 1911. Being a smaller .45 the felt recoil is a little more. Double taps manageable and tripple taps borderline. the muzzle tends to ride up with the lighter P345.

Again, practice paractice, no matter what caliber you decide on. I've seen indians from the reservation here take down a deer with a .22 rimfire from 100 yards :unsure:. Accuracy is more important than firepower when it comes to self defense handguns.

two other requirements i have:

1. minimal recoil ( recovering from a stress fracture in the thumb of my shooting hand).
2. accessory (scopes,lasers,etc.) accessible.

one other question, should i buy the gun first, or get the permit first?

I would get the gun first. If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country do you live in? Extremely hard to get a permit in some states. Anyway, as far as gun suggestions, you are right in that a semi-auto is going to have less felt recoil than a revolver. There are a plethora of models to choose from. I would handle several and see what feels best to you. If you go to a range where you can rent guns and try them out, all the better. As far as models I suggest looking into these;

1. Taurus 709 Slim
2. Glock 26
3. Kahr Pm9
4. Springfield XD (sub-compact) 9mm

Get the gun first. Depending on where you are it may take a while to get the permit. You will have something to defend yourself at home if the need arises plus you can carry with out a permit if you have to but you can not defend yourself with just a permit.

You will have something to defend yourself at home if the need arises plus you can carry with out a permit if you have to but you can not defend yourself with just a permit.

I wouldn't advocate carrying illegally, but I agree with getting the gun before the permit.

While you can't legally carry on your person in SC without the permit, you can keep it in your house or in your vehicle, loaded and ready to go. You can also begin practicing with it, and getting comfortable with it, before you start carrying with a permit.

First, I recommend you read Why Not Carry the Big Gun that was published recently. It's excellent food for thought.

I carry a Link Removed in .40 S&W caliber. Mine is a bit older than the current Gen II model and is double action only, the current one is double action on the first shot, single action for each additional shot. The SAS models have been through the SIG pro-shop, verified for function and have a smoothed exterior specifically for concealed carry. Magazines are seven rounds & single column, with one carried in the chamber and one extra magazine you have fifteen rounds available.

I used to carry a .45 ACP, moved to the more modern .40 S&W round due to a wider variety of pistol selection with more than adequate power.

I have no trouble concealing the P239, it is not a lightweight however. You will need a good holster for it, I recommend either Galco or Rosen. I use strong side, belt carry almost exclusively.

I own a 27 but it's a safe gun. I don't know any LE's that have a 28 and have never seen one. The 28 can't be imported for civilian use since it doesn't have enough import points. So the only way to get one is if you are in LE.

Your problem with the stress fracture in the thumb kind of worries me on all these suggestions...

Keep in mind most .380s do not have less recoil than a 9mm because most of them have a blow back design.... also, usually they are smaller framed guns and have less mass to absorb the recoil.

Pesonally, I would consider a small frame 357 magnum revolver like a Ruger SP 101 and shoot standard 38's in it until your hand is well and also for qualifying for the CWP.

Bersa, Berreta and Sig all make a .380 pistol that is not a sub compact, are slightly smaller than most standard 9mm, and are pretty easy to conceal. But not a pocket gun. My carry gun is a Sig 230, the current 'upgraded' model is the Sig 232... look it up... (Not the 238!) is probably one of the best looking pistols on the market, besides that and more important is absolutely reliable... never a hint of a problem with them ever mentioned on the internet... with Hogue grips this pistol fits in my hand perfect .

As mentioned above the Sig 239 is another choice... but a good notch or two larger than the 232.... I think the 238 is way too small and will have too much recoil.

blume357 thanks for the info. my thumb is completely healed as far as the bone, but i still have some discomfort. i may choose to shoot with a thumb brace on if that's a good idea. another thing i always thought .357 magnums were notorious for their massive recoil issues.

does anyone own or have shot these glocks:
1. glock 27 .40s&w (compact)
2. glock 28 .380 (subcompact)

I have a Glock 27 and it's a great pistol. I found the recoil to be a little snappy at first but I got used to it. The Glock 28 does not meet US import requirements and is not available.

You are right.... 357 mags have a serious recoil... and especially in a small frame

what I was suggesting is a 357 mag revolver shooting 38 rounds.... which are much easier....

I don't shoot 357 mag hardly ever anymore... I'm a 9mm fan right now... but when I did shoot my 357's I despised the magnum loads except in the BIG pistols like a Colt trooper with an 8" barrel..... but you could shoot standard 38s in any of the revolvers all day long with no trouble at all.

Keep in mind to get an SC. CWP you are going to be shooting 50 rounds.

Since you are healed up.... and it just hurts sometime... (I have the same troubles on many parts of my body) I would just figure out which pistol you want.... if at all possible try out a couple and then buy what you want.

You have a picture of a Glock in your icon... so, I'm a little confused. I'm not a glock fan but that is probably for a different discussion... as long as you don't oil the firing pin and learn the specifics for shooting one.... lots of folks love them.... then again, it's called 'going to the dark side' when you buy a Glock.

If you are in S.C. and let some folks know what part of the state, there may be a way to try different handguns at little or no cost.

two other requirements i have:

1. minimal recoil ( recovering from a stress fracture in the thumb of my shooting hand).
2. accessory (scopes,lasers,etc.) accessible.

Some of your requirements seem to be in conflict with each other. For example ... easy to conceal and scope.

I'm not big on hanging a bunch of "accessories" off of my self-defense weapons so I may not be of much help, but I would say you have a wide variety of guns that fit your first three criteria and VERY few that fit when you add the last two criteria.

If your stress fracture is in your dominant hand, you could practice shooting with your off hand until you're completely healed. It never hurts to be able to shoot with your off hand ... since you could (and have) suffer an injury to your dominant hand.

Take a look at the Kahr CW9. It meets most of your criteria.

Some of your requirements seem to be in conflict with each other. For example ... easy to conceal and scope.

I'm not big on hanging a bunch of "accessories" off of my self-defense weapons so I may not be of much help, but I would say you have a wide variety of guns that fit your first three criteria and VERY few that fit when you add the last two criteria.

If your stress fracture is in your dominant hand, you could practice shooting with your off hand until you're completely healed. It never hurts to be able to shoot with your off hand ... since you could (and have) suffer an injury to your dominant hand.

Take a look at the Kahr CW9. It meets most of your criteria.
I to am confused on what the OP is looking for.

I think he needs to buy at least three pistols. Those should fit all his needs.

I strongly recommend you get a .357 revolver in at least 4" barrel length. Recoil is a non issue with 100g semi wad cutters in .38. You can scope a Red hawk.
If you didn't know already, you can fire .38 in the .357.

If you have a thumb issue, practice with a 9mm, or 380 concealable pistol is not the best idea. They recoil a bit.

The rule of thumb is, the lighter weight pistol, the more the recoil.

Anymore questions, just ask, someone will help you.:yu:

I to am confused on what the OP is looking for.

I think he needs to buy at least three pistols. Those should fit all his needs.

I strongly recommend you get a .357 revolver in at least 4" barrel length. Recoil is a non issue with 100g semi wad cutters in .38. You can scope a Red hawk.
If you didn't know already, you can fire .38 in the .357.

If you have a thumb issue, practice with a 9mm, or 380 concealable pistol is not the best idea. They recoil a bit.

The rule of thumb is, the lighter weight pistol, the more the recoil.

Anymore questions, just ask, someone will help you.:yu:

i starting to hedge towards a 9mm. what do you think of the glock 19,glock 26,kel tec pf9,ruger sr9c,sig sauer p225,s&w sigma sw9ve,s&w sd9,s&w m&p 9c. also if anyone can think of other 9mm i might be interested in let me know.

thank you again for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back