Post office carry

50SR9

I know the normal law, at least in my state, is no carry at the post office. Well, I was in there today and noticed something different about their gun buster sign...."NO CONCEALED WEAPONS". That sign used to say something different, but I cannot remember exactly the wording. Hmmmm, does that mean that open carry is legal now in the post office? Gonna have to do some research and see what I can find out.

I know the whole federal property thing, blah blah etc etc. I am wondering why the change in signage to specifically say "No concealed weapons". That is what I am going to find out about.

Very few states allow open carry and since the post office is Federal Property it is a moot point. No weapons are allowed on Federal Property except for hunting where authrized, range shooting where available, and competion where authorized. I cannot carry a weapon on a military installation unless I am going hunting or to the range or to a competion. I( cannot even have my ccw pistol in the car unloaded and locked away on a military installation.

I know the normal law, at least in my state, is no carry at the post office. Well, I was in there today and noticed something different about their gun buster sign...."NO CONCEALED WEAPONS". That sign used to say something different, but I cannot remember exactly the wording. Hmmmm, does that mean that open carry is legal now in the post office? Gonna have to do some research and see what I can find out.

forget state law, federal laws are in force at the post office, as long as it is a real post office facility, not a agency in a store for example, you cannot bring any firearm onto the property.

Probably expanded to include any weapon or tool as I consider my pocket knife. Or any other tool or anything else "they" deem a weapon.

Total family tactical face palm! It just amazes me how many people who consider themselves "experienced" gun owners are totally oblivious of actual laws.

There's really no need trying to overthink the meaning of the sign. Just keep your gun in your when going to the post office. And park your car on the street, not in the post office parking lot.

I'm sure the sign is meant to indicate that even concealed carry is not allowed at the Post Office, not just the obvious open carry. As the others said, you cannot even leave it in your car locked in a lockbox unloaded and disassembled. Do not test them, you will regret it, remember what is going on in our government right now, they would love to have someone like you to be made an example of. Like they said, park your car somewhere not on Federal property. I promise you they won't play around with you if they find out you have a firearm on Federal property. Our government right now doesn't want us to have firearms in the safety of our own homes, they would be too glad to prosecute you.

I know the whole federal property thing, blah blah etc etc. I am wondering why the change in signage to specifically say "No concealed weapons". That is what I am going to find out about.
That sign may be for the people who think "If they don't see it, they don't know it". I guess the Post Office is just making it clear that no weapons are allowed!

Wow. You consider 44 states to be very few? That's how many allow open carry. Only 6 do not. 7 if you count DC. Even California allows open carry in rural areas.

Open Carry | OpenCarry.org

The states that prohibit open carry:

TX, AR, FL, SC, NY, IL, and DC

this is a fallacious statement, while 44 states may be claimed to allow for OC you can be fairly certain that OC is not common in most states, you will never see OC in MA, MD, CT, CA, in addition NJ allows for open carry if you have a concealed carry permit, however it is IMPOSSIBLE for the average person to obtain such a permit yet groups like the NRA blissfully ignore that reality. Even in states where OC is permitted by law it is rare that anyone OCs.
I am not looking to debate the issue I am just trying to get the facts correct.

It's not a state law, it's federal. You can't bring a gun onto the property of any federal facility. This includes the post office, social security office, the IRS, DHS, etc.

It's not a state law, it's federal. You can't bring a gun onto the property of any federal facility. This includes the post office, social security office, the IRS, DHS, etc.

And the Federal Postal Regulations in 39 CFR 232.1 are even more restrictive than the Federal prohibition of firearms in Federal Facilities contained in 18 USC 930. 18 USC 930 only prohibits firearms INSIDE Federal Facilities. 39 CFR 232.1 prohibits firearms on post office property, including parking lots.

All above are correct that it is Federal law that no weapons are allowed on postal property. If the Post office is a "stand alone" post office in that it is the only building on the property than you can not even have it in your car/vehicle. If the Post Office is on shared property (a strip mall with shared parking , or on Main Street downtown and you are parking on the street**, you would then not be in violation if it was in your vehicle.

I would guess the new signage is a warning that they know that there are those who think that because you can't see their firearm you can't do anything about it. Only one problem with that logic: the post office is officially a special sensitive area - meaning that they write their own rules about what is acceptable on their property and what they can do to enforce it. By posting a "no concealed weapons" sign, they are letting you know that they might be considering taking it to the next level and implementing searches or bringing in metal detectors to insure that no one is carrying at all. According to their rules, they have the right to search you and your vehicle the moment you enter property owned or controlled by them, including the parking lot.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back