Post office carry

Bottom line, as stated by several others earlier in this thread and previously in others, do not bring your firearm onto post office property, even if you leave it encased and locked up in your car. I would not care to test an interpretation of the Federal Transport Law vs. the stated Federal ban on firearms on post office property. I'm not a lawyer, but I think you would lose that one.

A concealed weapon could well mean a pocket knife, especially if it is black, has a matte blade, and an assault clip on the side. Also, I would advise against bringing a machete into the post office to open your mail.

this is a fallacious statement, while 44 states may be claimed to allow for OC you can be fairly certain that OC is not common in most states, you will never see OC in MA, MD, CT, CA, in addition NJ allows for open carry if you have a concealed carry permit, however it is IMPOSSIBLE for the average person to obtain such a permit yet groups like the NRA blissfully ignore that reality. Even in states where OC is permitted by law it is rare that anyone OCs.
I am not looking to debate the issue I am just trying to get the facts correct.

How do you consider Navy's comment to be fallacious? While open carry might not be common, it doesn't negate the fact that it is legal and allowed in 44 states, making Navy's comment true. So, even though in your opinion, OC isn't common, the facts in Navy's post are indeed correct.

How do you consider Navy's comment to be fallacious?

Definition of FALLACIOUS

: embodying a fallacy <a fallacious conclusion>
: tending to deceive or mislead : delusive.

I am leaning on #2

OC while might be legal in 44 states the reality is that it in practice it is uncommon for people to carry openly.

as for it being legal in 44 states I offer as an example NJ.
NJ is listed as a state that permits OC as long as you have a concealed carry permit and that is true however it is just about IMPOSSIBLE to obtain a concealed carry permit in NJ so for all intents and purposes you cannot OC in NJ.
PA is an OC state however trying to OC in Philadelphia will more than likely earn you are ride in a cop car. and lastly while OC is legal in many places the reality is that in populated places is is rarely done.

you can stand on what is on the books I am standing on reality

Really? I have OC'd for three years in WA in every type of establishment. Banks, grocery stores, zoo's, county fairs, liquor stores, restaurants, hardware stores, you name it. We have meet, and greets every weekend where a dozen or more OC'ers have coffee with no issue. This happens in very un-populated places like Seattle, and on the steps of the WA state Capitol.

Link Removed

Jan 19th about 2500 armed people had a rally on the Capitol grounds. (Third year)

So, yea rarely done.

I feel like an idiot for even coming to this site, and replying. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment like the Navy CDR.

Really? I have OC'd for three years in WA in every type of establishment. Banks, grocery stores, zoo's, county fairs, liquor stores, restaurants, hardware stores, you name it. We have meet, and greets every weekend where a dozen or more OC'ers have coffee with no issue. This happens in very un-populated places like Seattle, and on the steps of the WA state Capitol.

Link Removed

Jan 19th about 2500 armed people had a rally on the Capitol grounds. (Third year)

So, yea rarely done.

I feel like an idiot for even coming to this site, and replying. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment like the Navy CDR.
if you read the entire thread I noted that one exception is organized events like the ones you attend, thanks for your input

Definition of FALLACIOUS

I am leaning on #2

OC while might be legal in 44 states the reality is that it in practice it is uncommon for people to carry openly.

NJ is listed as a state that permits OC as long as you have a concealed carry permit and that is true however it is just about IMPOSSIBLE to obtain a concealed carry permit in NJ so for all intents and purposes you cannot OC in NJ.
PA is an OC state however trying to OC in Philadelphia will more than likely earn you are ride in a cop car. and lastly while OC is legal in many places the reality is that in populated places is is rarely done.

Again, apv has proven that if he hasnt seen it, it DOES NOT EXIST....

How do you consider Navy's comment to be fallacious?

Definition of FALLACIOUS

I am leaning on #2

Maybe I'm not understanding your correlation. What does commonality have to do with legality? Remember the base of the argument here was the first comment that said open carry wasn't allowed (illegal). So we should be talking about legality and not commonality.

Even if pa and nj were not included, that's still 42 states. If anything, saying navy's comment was fallacious is fallacious in itself as you are trying to deceive people from what's legal by saying it's not common.

Yeah I haven't read every single page but in answering to the OP, no sign is even necessary. It's federal property, therefore illegal. I do keep my gun in the truck.

The ironic thing is, when I'm in the post office and look around, its one of the places I feel I need a gun the most...

My advice is don't be a test case! there are instances of people going to prison because someone saw them put their gun in the glove box on postal property... Park elsewhere and walk to the post office without your weapon of choice! Even locked in a vehicle is a crime.

Very few states allow open carry and since the post office is Federal Property it is a moot point. No weapons are allowed on Federal Property except for hunting where authrized, range shooting where available, and competion where authorized. I cannot carry a weapon on a military installation unless I am going hunting or to the range or to a competion. I( cannot even have my ccw pistol in the car unloaded and locked away on a military installation.

Yes, very few states allow open carry. Only 42 or 43 out of 51 states allow open carry. I can carry open/concealed on Federal property (Mt. Rainier National park, just not in the Federal buildings.) Don't forget to use spell check.

BTW, any statement I make applies to WA State. My local PO is on a property that has a bunch of other business, so I can carry in the parking lot - not in the PO itself.

Open Carry | OpenCarry.org

My advice is don't be a test case! there are instances of people going to prison because someone saw them put their gun in the glove box on postal property... Park elsewhere and walk to the post office without your weapon of choice! Even locked in a vehicle is a crime.
Please, when you make a statement like this make sure you specify that it only applies to the state you are talking about. In WA state I can lock my gun in my car all I want.

Please, when you make a statement like this make sure you specify that it only applies to the state you are talking about. In WA state I can lock my gun in my car all I want.

Not true. The post office is a federal building and the parking lot is federal property meaning federal law applies. Regardless of state possessing a weapon on the grounds of a federal building is illegal.

Yes, very few states allow open carry. Only 42 or 43 out of 51 states allow open carry. I can carry open/concealed on Federal property (Mt. Rainier National park, just not in the Federal buildings.) Don't forget to use spell check.

BTW, any statement I make applies to WA State. My local PO is on a property that has a bunch of other business, so I can carry in the parking lot - not in the PO itself.

Open Carry | OpenCarry.org
51 states??? been to the obuma school of US facts?
as for OC, while most states appear to allow it in reality only a small few really do allow it, for example NJ says their permit doesn't specify open or concealed carry which on the surface makes it seems like OC is ok in NJ except for the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a permit to carry in NJ. OC is permitted in GA but I bet you've never seen anyone OCing in Atlanta. The OC group loves to tout that OC is permitted in 46 states, but repeating that canard just make them appear to be zealots.

regarding your comment about post offices they are not very well stated. while you are correct that if a post office is in rented space, like a strip mall the restriction on weapons only applies inside the actual post office however if you bring a gun onto ANY part of POST OFFICE PROPERTY you run the risk of being arrested, regardless of what state you are in.

as for OC, while most states appear to allow it in reality only a small few really do allow it, for example NJ says their permit doesn't specify open or concealed carry which on the surface makes it seems like OC is ok in NJ except for the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a permit to carry in NJ. OC is permitted in GA but I bet you've never seen anyone OCing in Atlanta. The OC group loves to tout that OC is permitted in 46 states, but repeating that canard just make them appear to be zealots.

regarding your comment about post offices they are not very well stated. while you are correct that if a post office is in rented space, like a strip mall the restriction on weapons only applies inside the actual post office however if you bring a gun onto ANY part of POST OFFICE PROPERTY you run the risk of being arrested, regardless of what state you are in.

So the guy was mistaken in his interpretation of a vague federal law...why do you feel the need to be a loudmouth dbag about it?
Would you be so loud mouthed about my openly carried P99 were I standing in front of you? I think not. If you're against open carry, haul your ass back to the concealed carry thread and stop trolling this one. The second amendment does not state that one must conceal his firearm regardless of anyone else's beliefs, so whatever you base your beef on is irrelevant.

Not true. The post office is a federal building and the parking lot is federal property meaning federal law applies. Regardless of state possessing a weapon on the grounds of a federal building is illegal.

This statement is not entirely true. If the post office is in a strip of business shops and is not distinctly separated from them with physical barriers then you can walk right past the post office on the common sidewalk, park in front of or around it and you would be fine. Same thing if the post office is in a business, such as a grocery or hardware store. As for a post office in a strip with other businesses, cannot enter such a post office when armed since then you would be on post office property. Not sure how it would be handle if the post office was within a private business (the grocery or hardware store example). In that case, you could enter and wander around the business while armed, providing the owner allows this, but what about if you decided you wanted to purchase stamps? Would there be a line of demarcation where you must not cross while armed? Not sure about this one.

This is entirely in error. There are 12 Gold Star carry states for open carry, of which mine is one. In my state, open carry is the normal, or default/standard, mode of carry. Carrying concealed requires permission from our employees. At to these 12 Gold Star states another 15 which are friendly to open carry. And then there are the states which require a permit and that permit also allows open carry. Of those, 9 are friendly to open carry.

You need to update your information a bit.

The OC group loves to tout that OC is permitted in 46 states, but repeating that canard just make them appear to be zealots.

I find it interesting that you would call people who state facts, with no opinions or speculations involved, as zealots. And in the same statement that you call us zealots who state the facts, you attempt to use an exaggeration to support your opion based largely upon speculation and heresay. ROFLMAO!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back