Poor choices for carry

wizard

After reading and commenting on another post, I have a question about how to tell someone, a close friend or relative, that the way they carry is ineffective, as it will take way to long to get to the gun if they need it? Or should I just let them do what they feel is the best for them?

Honestly... It's not like you just walked into a strip club and seen their daughter on stage. Just give them your opinion and then let it go. :dirol:

After reading and commenting on another post, I have a question about how to tell someone, a close friend or relative, that the way they carry is ineffective, as it will take way to long to get to the gun if they need it? Or should I just let them do what they feel is the best for them?
If the person is a "close friend or relative" why not take them to the range someday and during the course of the day do some self defense scenarios (empty guns at first then graduate to loaded guns) involving starting from concealment.. then draw.. then fire...against paper targets and let them discover on their own how well, or how poorly, their method of carry works.

If it is done this way one of two things will happen... either they discover their method of carry doesn't work and they will address it on their own without you needing to say anything... or you will discover their method of carry works just fine for them and you didn't embarrass yourself by saying something.

Either way y'all get to spend some time together on the range and range time is always a win/win thing.

Take them to a firing range or an area that is safe for everyone to shoot and fire the "45" practice drill. The drill starts with the weapon holstered. From a distance of 5 yards, fire 5 rounds, in 5 seconds, into a 5 inch circle. That should make it very apparent to the person they have to make a change or very apparent to you that the way they carry is fine. You shouldn't have say anything and it's a fun drill that is valuable to learn. Everybody wins!

Honestly... It's not like you just walked into a strip club and seen their daughter on stage.

Definetely a time to MYOB

OP it's really none of your business and the person you tell is liable to tell you to take a hike

There are lots of other cosiderations to how you carry. Sure I would be fast with a leg holster but I wear business clothes daily and well that would not go over well. Not everybody is able to do what may be best for speed because of other factors. My 38 snubby in my pocket is not the best way to carry but I have practiced and do fairly well. You still have to live a normal life not live to shoot someone.

How do they carry ?

You might start by asking them some selected questions rather than 'telling' them. Could be less intimidating and may lead into a useful discussion with both of you learning something.

Yes, justnbox had a point, how does your friend carry? That is pretty crucial in determining the advice you will receive here. Ie: if they carry off body, empty chambered, etc will heed different advice.

Until then, follow the advice about taking the friend to the range. Make it a friendly competition. Like others have said...maybe it works fine, and then you can let it go.

I would agree to need to know how they carry. That may or may not open the door to talking with them about things. It could be as simple as sitting down some time with them in a conversational mode and broaching the subject. "I was just reading a few posts the other day online on carrying and found some of the ways folks carry". Then lead into how you both carry and discuss.

OP it's really none of your business and the person you tell is liable to tell you to take a hike
I agree with you, for the most part. Example..My carry method is very unique, so unique in fact that I don't know of anyone on this forum except myself that carries the way that I do. I've been carrying concealed for years, both revolvers and full size auto's under almost every condition of dress and weather conditions. My method and my holster is the only combination that I will carry, concealed or openly. I've tried all others, so I don't need or want anyone's advice. Sadly, most people want to go with the flow depending on what "everyone else agrees is the best", instead of thinking for themselves. If you think your method would be more beneficial to their needs, simply expose your method to them, if they're impressed, you won't have to offer any advise.

He is talking about a close friend or family member, is that how you would treat your friends?

To the OP, the other day I was fishing with a friend if over 22 years, as we were walking along carrying or gear I noticed his gun was IWB over his spine. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea and explained why. His response wasn't "stfu, myob, nunya bizness" or anything else. He just told me that it was a new holster and it was having issues. And then we went back to fishing. NBD.

Just ask about the holster and tell them your opinion, friends won't be offended and a who knows maybe you will learn something.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

You know your friend/relative better than we do. I'm assuming since you asked this question of us you are very hesitant about having this conversation with them and how they will react. If that is the case, than you have never established any sort of rapport with them about firearms, firearm safety, defense tactics, holster positions, etc. Start there. Have conversation about the firearms that you both have and love. There are many topics that you can talk about and talk about in a non-confrontational manner. Other aspects about firearms will come up. After you build up a report with this person, making a suggestion about why they carry the way they do will not be looked upon as an assault on them personally since you have done the ground work in giving them trust in who you are and what you are about.

I've always been a firm believer that it is easier to show a person what works than to tell them as well. This is easier done when you've built that rapport too.

He is talking about a close friend or family member, is that how you would treat your friends?

Are we talking about the stripping daughter or the person carrying the gun?

Seriously, if the person carrying the gun wanted the OP's advice he/she/they/it would have asked for it. It's been my experience that people don't listen to unsolicited advice so I don’t waste my time giving it.

If it is a close friend or relative, then you know how well they receive constructive criticism. If they value your opinions, then they will listen to you. If they think you are one of those "know-it-all's", then they may just ignore everything you say about it. On a more positive note, if they are close enough that you care about their safety, then you should not hesitate to offer your advice, then let them decide what works best for them.

My husband carries his pistol differently than I do. I just felt it wasn't right. Remember this is MY husband who grew up with guns...I asked why he does and he said it feels more comfortable that way. End of story.

OK, I guess its time for a trip to the range and see how things pan out! Thanks for the replies.

My husband carries his pistol differently than I do. I just felt it wasn't right. Remember this is MY husband who grew up with guns...I asked why he does and he said it feels more comfortable that way. End of story.

The cleavage holster just doesn't do it for him, huh?

I kid! I kid! :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back