Polishing Trigger Actions Questions

golocx4

Got Beretta's?
Any suggestions on using a Whetstone to polish the internals?
Alternatives like Emory or Sandpaper?
Any compounds?

Trigger work

I found that watchmaker files and fine for this work and then try to locate some Hapsich Semichrome Polish. Used on Old harleys to shine aluminum and polish to high gloss and then get a polishing cloth wheel for dremmel tool and work on the surface you want to be smoooooth until it looks like a mirror.

Careful, most of these parts have a relatively thin hard surface. You can/should only remove an almost imperseptible amount. Most supply places have special very fine stones for this. Try Brownells for example.

Yes some parts are only surface hardened so if you break through the hard part(.001 to .005") then the area will wear very fast. Surface angles are critical so angles can't be changed or rounded-off. So you must use something flat and very fine on bearing surfaces. Like a hard fine stone. Could maybe glue 1000 or 1200 grit sandpaper to a piece of metal and use that.

I've always used a good India stone for cleaning up imperfections on moving parts. India stones are very fine and tend to polish without removing excessive material from the part. I've found that a triangle stone is a good all around design.

Thanks for the reply's.
I found a Smith's Washita Oil Stone at a gun show last weekend
I am going to practice on some other things first.

please be extremely careful

many triggers and sears are made from scintered metal...this means a very hard outer 1-3 thousandths of an inch and very porous internal crystalline structure.

You would be better off getting a new savage with the accu-trigger system or buying replacement parts from a reputable aftermarket company that you know are made from machined steel instead of scintered castings.

Here is the rub...if you break through the scintered surface the least little bit, it will continue to degrade over time and become more "sticky" than when you started...I learned my lesson on this subject the hard way...Granddad was a gunsmith and taught me well...but he also let me make a few mistakes along the way as a learning tool...provided the goofs were on my equipment and not his or a customers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back