Personal Protection During Civil Disturbances by Potentially Violent Mobs

Matt.Schlueter

Personal Protection During Civil Disturbances by Potentially Violent Mobs

The event in Ferguson, MO has drawn the attention of many of Americans from the left and the right. The purpose of this article is not to enter into the political fray but honestly discuss how to prepare, identify potential situations, and make safety plans for those who are concerned about their own safety.

Why do Civil Disturbances and Riots occur?

Causes of such disturbances are varied; due to social, economic, and political conditions will play part in the event. A public disturbance that is not immediately suppressed but instead permitted to grow will become a threat to your community. The communities may be so over burdened they loose the ability to provide acceptable levels of service, such as law enforcement, fire department, ambulance services, along with water, sewer, and power distribution services.

• Social, Racial, and Religious clashes and differences have always been causes of disturbances. At other times community activities drawing large numbers of people together to celebrate or support a specific act or event have at times degenerated into serious civil disturbances when tension exists.

• Economic, Extreme poverty, poor housing conditions, lack of food, differences between labor & management, devaluation of currencies, high cost of living and allied economic factors will cause civil unrest.

• Political, Efforts to gain or destroy political power outside lawful means is a motivating factor of mob violence.

• Failure of law enforcement or military authorities to cope with a mob crisis can ignite further actions. When the members of the mob begin to feel they can act with impunity and can impose their will no matter what repercussions they may face.

The Mobs that rioted during this last November in Ferguson had many of the above factors involved in what happened leading upto and after the Grand Juries Decision was made their announcement. The people who formed these mobs had one purpose to protest the killing of Michael Brown. The protesters chose to follow their emotions ignoring the facts in the case proving Michael Brown was a criminal who assaulted a store clerk and later died while assaulting Ferguson Police Officer Wilson. These conditions caused a perfect storm fueled by hatred for the police and a desire for justice & revenge possibly even being manipulated by agitators who wanted to incite the riot to conduct criminal activities of looting, arson, and looting businesses owned by law abiding citizens.

How does one prepare for self-defense deal with such a situation?

My best advice is “Nothing is worth your life and if at all possible to leave the area for your own safety” letting law enforcement and military authorities re-establish order. Then file your insurance claims and rebuild.

Prepare your home for any disaster by having an emergency food supply on hand to last at least thirty days. Also have a water supply on hand in the event your cities water service is interrupted, plan for a minimum of one gallon of water per person every day you expect to be with out water. For a complete list of recommended items to prepare for an emergency visit Link Removed

For those who choose to stay, please consult with the laws in your state to ensure what methods and conditions are necessary to apply varying levels of force needed to deter and possibly stop a violent mob or individuals in the mob. In most states any use of deadly force the defender must be in imminent fear of great bodily injury or death.

Stay tuned for more posts on Identifying threats, Equipping & Preparing your family, home and business for security operations in the event of Civil Disobedience AKA Riots...

Link Removed

I believe very few were there to protest the death of Brown. I believe the outsiders came to riot; PERIOD. It didn't matter what the outcome was because of all the HATE; they were going to riot.

I believe very few were there to protest the death of Brown. I believe the outsiders came to riot; PERIOD. It didn't matter what the outcome was because of all the HATE; they were going to riot.

And these people you are referring to I listed as: "manipulated by agitators who wanted to incite the riot to conduct criminal activities of looting, arson, and looting businesses owned by law abiding citizens."

Just as an FYI to any one following this Rioting by definition is a criminal violation in most states, along with inciting a riot, Such as a peron calling for the crowd to burn down a city. Belive it or not arson could place you or others in fear of great bodily injury or death from a mob throwing home made fire bombs.

Also the authorities in Ferguson reported a large number of rioters in November were residents from the city of Ferguson, unlike the events in August which were mostly from outside the community.

Personal Protection During Civil Disturbances by Potentially Violent Mobs Part II

Personal Protection During Civil Disturbances by Potentially Violent Mobs Part II

So you have chosen to stay and defend you property, facing down angry mobs of potentially violent persons bent on looting, setting buildings & vehicles on fire, and maybe intent on causing you great bodily injury and or death.

Pre-Planning is very important if a civil disturbance were to happen there may not be much of a warning or time to prepare. Just like a natural disaster we may not know when exactly it may strike and this is why it is important to pay attention to your local and national news, these will most likely give you indicators and warnings of a civil disturbance in your area.

Safety in Numbers

Some situations you and your family are perfectly able to deal with on your own, but if you’re planning to defend your home or business from an angry mob you will need help. For this purpose it is important to meet up with like minded people and make plans ahead of time.

Signs

In previous natural disasters in the national news done stories about citizens who made signs warning looters they would be shot. The most commonly this sign is posted on the edge of an area where the citizens have bonded together to protect themselves and their property. It is worth noting when the news reports on such actions by citizens one rarely hears of people attempting loot homes and businesses in these locations. To make a sign all you need is a 4x8 sheet of plywood and some paint to fashion a warning sign.

Link Removed

Audio Deterrence

If you are wondering what I am talking about, it is a plain and simple bullhorn. While you may not be able to make your warnings clearer that you are willing to defend yourself and your property. You can make it louder, personally I would look for some thing that has good range and volume. Such as a Link Removed

Lights

Consider this you will most likely have to confront a mob in low light or no light conditions, the reason is simple these people consider breaking the law under the cover of darkness makes them anonymous. We want to remove the darkness and make them come into your perimeter of light. This can be accomplished by using portable flood lighting like the Link Removed, Another option is to install permanent motion activated lighting, with these lights install the brightest bulbs you can buy.

Self-defense lights that are ether hand held or weapons mounted should be a minimum of 90 lumens. If your using defensive lights of ether type, I would suggest attending a class on proper techniques to deploy and activate the lights. Defensive Lights I would suggest are: Link Removed, Link Removed, Link Removed.

Distraction Devices

As general citizens we cannot purchase tear gas, flash-bangs and other devices used by modern riot control squads. However your goal is to make the mobs move on to easier pickings, and one must consider less than lethal ways of changing their minds. If the above recommendations were not enough to do so all ready what options do we have?

“Warning Shots” – I can not advocate the use of warning shots as in many states they would be considered a reckless discharge of a firearm under the law. For people in these states to legally fire your defensive firearm they would need to be in fear of great bodily injury or death. For those in states where warning shots would be legally acceptable, please consult with your local laws on such practices.

Other alternatives – Link Removed

OC Pepper sprays and Aerosol Fog Grenades are available to the public, and depending on your local laws could be used for self-defense purposes as a less lethal option. One such device I came across was Link Removed through Amazon.com

Video Surveillance

Video is a powerful tool, which if used properly will give you a record of what took place during the events. During such a civil disturbance it may become necessary to record the actions of the mob as they approach your property and continue to threaten you even after warnings and less lethal attempts have been used to persuade them to move along to greener pastures. This could be as simple as a Video Camera set up on a tri-pod, or a member of your group being the designated cameraman recording with

In part three of this series we will take a look at defensive firearms options for the legally armed citizen who is defending themselves and their property from violent mobs during a riot.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Most home insurance policies will not cover damage due to war or riots. Check your coverage to be sure. But it's something to think about. The police are going to be busy elsewhere. They won't be protecting individual homes. You may come back home to nothing and with no recourse.

Most home insurance policies will not cover damage due to war or riots. Check your coverage to be sure. But it's something to think about. The police are going to be busy elsewhere. They won't be protecting individual homes. You may come back home to nothing and with no recourse.

Most Home Insurance Policies specificly the HO2 Policies should cover Vandalism, Malicious Mischief, Theft, Riot's and/or Civil Commotion, but it is good advice to check with your policy and or agent to be sure before the event happens.

Mobs rely on the power of intimidation to get what they want. There's something else you can get that isn't subject to the power of intimidation.
Link Removed
While he isn't subject to the power of intimidation, he is able to dish a whole lot of intimidation back out.

Personal Protection During Civil Disturbances by Potentially Violent Mobs Part III

Personal Protection During Civil Disturbances by Potentially Violent Mobs Part III

I have had a few things slow me down so the post on firearms will have to hold off. However I want to give out a little more food for thought on this topic. After watching the Fox News Story about the Ferguson Law Enforcement Authorities threatening to arrest unpaid volunteers for guarding businesses.

During the interview the spokes person for the Oath Keepers pointed out the ordnance did not apply to them as they were volunteers not paid employees of a business providing security. After reading the ordance the authorities cited for the threatened arrest it does appear at face value the spokes person is correct. Please keep in mind I am not from MO and there fore not an expert on their state laws and local ordances.

This brings up a valid point since people read these forums from all across the country, you should check with your local – city, county, and state laws regarding conducting security of your property and or defending them. After checking with what the city, county, or state laws are in our area. I recommend checking with an attorney in your local so you completely understand how these laws apply to protecting your property. It is also important to understand it is possible you may end up defending your self from a violent person or mob of people and be forced to defend your self and others from imminent danger of receiving great bodily injury and or death.

Armed 'Oath Keepers' Threatened With Arrest for Guarding Ferguson Shops

Link Removed

Personal Protection during Civil Disturbances by Potentially Violent Mobs III – Defensive Shotguns I

During a Civil Disturbance we are going to look at three different areas of firearms. In honor of our Vice President Joe and his love for shotguns for home defense this is the firearm we will start with.

The Defensive Shotgun I

When considering options for firearm as part of your personal safety plan in the home, how many have considered using a shotgun. Anyone who has grown up in a state with a strong hunting population has learned how to use one while hunting for Upland game birds, pheasants, ducks, and geese. The game getter shotgun is not all ways the best option because it is so long. Some shotguns will only need the replacement of the barrel to make it suitable for home defense just by adding a smooth bore slug barrel with open sights will be a good starting point.
Characteristics to look for:

• A barrel between 18 ½ inches and 21inches with an improved cylinder choke.
  • A bead front sight found on most shotguns will work
  • You may also consider rifle sights found on slug barrels commonly used for deer hunting.
  • Be capable of holding a minimum of three rounds of ammunition.
  • Have a sling so you can sling the firearm.

Some of the manufacturer’s that make models all ready in configuration for home defense are: Harrington & Richardson, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester just to name a few. Prior to writing this article I did a brief search of the stores in Sioux Falls, SD and found two different models available for less than $250.00. Harrington & Richardson - Pardner Pump Protector & Mossberg’s Maverick 88 Special Purpose.

Advantages:

• Homeowners who have received proper training in the use of a defensive shotgun will have more confidence in their abilities if ever faced with an armed assailant attacking them in their home.
  • The defensive shotguns power and profile, the standard 20gauge or 12 gauge shotguns using premium defensive ammunition in a defensive shotgun could cause a devastating wound(s) on a potential assailant at defensive pistol ranges of 0 – 10 yards.
  • Defensive shotguns start at prices much lower than a typical defensive handgun.
  • They will provide lifelong service if maintained properly.

Shotguns are symbols of power and authority, which gives it value as a deterrent. Assailants facing a homeowner defending him or herself with a shotgun. May loose their confidence and disengage their attack on the homeowner and other family members upon realizing the homeowner is armed with a defensive shotgun.

Disadvantages:

• Defensive shotguns fire multiple projectiles when using a self-defensive load of buckshot. If the shotgun has not been properly patterned at the range it is possible, and the gun is used in a defensive shooting some of the pellets could miss the target and cause a potential danger to others and/or damage property.
  • The typical self-defense load for a defensive shotgun consists of buckshot or slugs, both have potential to over penetrate their intended target and endanger others. In the event of a miss these loads could pass through multiple walls in your home possibly even exiting the house.
  • Size, weight, makes the shotgun heavy and awkward, this size prevents to carrying for extended periods of time. All defensive shotguns should be equipped with slings.
  • Function of the shotgun is easily learned, but like any other skill, must be practiced to be maintained.
  • Retention of the shotgun may be difficult without the use of a proper sling.

Ammunition:

Regardless of gauge selected for your defensive shotgun the most common defensive rounds consist of Buck Shot and or Rifled Slugs.

Slugs

Rifled Slugs are lead projectiles that have rifling on them, which makes them capable of hitting targets from 0-100 yards. A 12gauge rifled slug is a .72 caliber projectile and the 20 gauge rifled slug is a .61 caliber projectile. They are capable of hitting a 10-inch circle at 75 yards with open sights. Two of the more common rifled slug loads available are:

• 12 gauge – Federals Vital-Shok® TruBall® Rifled Slug PB127RS or LEB127RS consisting of a 1 oz. rifled slug.
  • 20 gauge – Federals Vital-Shok® TruBall® Rifled Slug PB203RS consisting of a ¾ of an ounce rifled slug.

While the rifled slug may extend the range of the shotgun for hunting big-game, law enforcement, and military uses. I would discourage their use for home defense due the possibility of over penetration.

Buck Shot

BuckShot is a load consisting of large pellets used for self-defense. Three of the more common buckshot loads for self-defenses are:

• 12 gauge – Federals Premium® Personal Defense® PD132 or LE132 #00 Buckshot consisting of 9/.33 caliber pellets.
  • 12 gauge – Federals Premium® Personal Defense® PD156 #4 Buckshot consisting of 34/.24 caliber pellets.
  • 20 gauge – Federals Premium® Personal Defense® PD256 #4 Buckshot consisting of 24/.24 caliber pellets

Defensive accuracy by NRA standards in their Personal Protection in the Home class is being able to maintain a grouping of 5 rounds into a 9-inch circle. The rule of thumb is a buckshot pattern will increase in diameter by 1 inch for every yard of travel after being fired. This should make a defensive shotgun have a maximum effective range of 9-10 yards. At this range it should ensure your defensive shotgun may place all the pellets into 9 inch circle with in its range.

Remember this is a rule of thumb and does not take into account any “flyers” outside the pattern you may experience with your particular shotgun. Individual shotguns do pattern differently even among the same make, models, and loads. For this reason it is highly recommended a home owner including a defensive shotgun in their home safety plan, take their shotgun to the range and be pattern it on a large paper target to determine the size of your pattern and most common defensive ranges.

In closing remember only hits count, and if you’re searching for a low cost home defense firearm a shotgun may be just what you’re looking for. Check back for more information on defensive firearms.

I have had a few things slow me down so the post on firearms will have to hold off. However I want to give out a little more food for thought on this topic. After watching the Fox News Story about the Ferguson Law Enforcement Authorities threatening to arrest unpaid volunteers for guarding businesses.

During the interview the spokes person for the Oath Keepers pointed out the ordnance did not apply to them as they were volunteers not paid employees of a business providing security. After reading the ordance the authorities cited for the threatened arrest it does appear at face value the spokes person is correct. Please keep in mind I am not from MO and there fore not an expert on their state laws and local ordances.

This brings up a valid point since people read these forums from all across the country, you should check with your local – city, county, and state laws regarding conducting security of your property and or defending them. After checking with what the city, county, or state laws are in our area. I recommend checking with an attorney in your local so you completely understand how these laws apply to protecting your property. It is also important to understand it is possible you may end up defending your self from a violent person or mob of people and be forced to defend your self and others from imminent danger of receiving great bodily injury and or death.

Armed 'Oath Keepers' Threatened With Arrest for Guarding Ferguson Shops

Link Removed

From the ordnance: "No person shall act..." It says nothing about being paid or whether you are a volunteer or not. I would not like to be the one testing this one out in court at my own expense. On the other hand, the business that was pro-bono protected seems to be off the hook, as further on in the same ordnance: "No person, firm, corporation, or organization shall employ..." Since they were not hired or paid, the business that was protected certainly seems to be not in violation of the ordnance. Nevertheless, I'm inclined to say good on the Oathkeepers who provided this voluntary service, and it certainly seems clear to me they provided a public and community benefit that the government was unable/unwilling to provide. All good food for thought, in advance of future troubles.

Last edited:
From the ordnance: "No person shall act..." It says nothing about being paid or whether you are a volunteer or not. I would not like to be the one testing this one out in court at my own expense. On the other hand, the business that was pro-bono protected seems to be off the hook, as further on in the same ordnance: "No person, firm, corporation, or organization shall employ..." Since they were not hired or paid, the business that was protected certainly seems to be not in violation of the ordnance. Nevertheless, I'm inclined to say good on the Oathkeepers who provided this voluntary service, and it certainly seems clear to me they provided a public and community benefit that the government was unable/unwilling to provide. All good food for thought, in advance of future troubles.

well, like I said I went off the interview, and briefly read the ordnance. This is also why I advised checking with an attorney after reviewing what your local laws are on providing security. After reading your post, it would seem the businesses could be also liable for violating this ordnance if they organized their own security with owners/employees to protect their property or business.

From the ordnance: "No person shall act..." It says nothing about being paid or whether you are a volunteer or not.
Paragraph 4:
No person, firm, corporation, or organization shall employ any person as a security officer, courier, watchman, corporate security advisor, polygraph examiner or the like unless such employed person has a valid license therefor, issued pursuant to this section.
The words "shall employ" make it obvious that this section of the code is intended for employees acting in these capacities. The requirements therefore do not apply to volunteers.

Paragraph 4:
The words "shall employ" make it obvious that this section of the code is intended for employees acting in these capacities. The requirements therefore do not apply to volunteers.
As I related in my post, the "shall employ" part is what may keep the business itself off the hook. These folks were not hired/paid employees. If you look right above that clause though, you will see "no person shall act..." There is no exception for "volunteers." If you are acting as security without the appropriate license you are in violation of the ordinance.

Personal Protection During a Civil Disturbance IV - Personal Protection Pistols

Personal Protection During a Civil Disturbance IV - Personal Protection Pistols

What handgun should I pick for Personal Protection during a Civil Disturbance? First let me start off with what works for me may not work for you, and this applies to all types of firearms.

While all the same criteria apply to fitting a handgun to the person purchasing a firearm for concealed carry. Some may find choosing a full size pistol with a magazine capable of holding more cartridges than a smaller concealed carry pistol. It is important to note some manufactures offer compact pistol models that are capable of accepting their large frame defensive pistol models. Below is an excerpt from an article I wrote on selecting a concealed carry pistol for personal protection.

Choosing a Pistol for Self-Defense

Every citizen who chooses to carry a firearm for self-defense should have the right tools for the job. The concealed carry handgun is no different than choosing the right tool for the right job. When making the decision to purchase that handgun for self defense remember the accessories and training that go along with the handgun will make a complete weapons system which works for you.

When shopping for a handgun, remember the criteria in this section (operational, hand size, preferences, and budget). I recommend a minimum caliber for self-defense of .38 Special and 9mm. Some selection factors would include:

Gun Fit to the hand- Grip size for length and width, trigger to web distance, positioning of components and other ergonomics. Together the shooter should be able to shoot one handed.

Controllable-For precision slow fire and rapid, multiple, aimed shots in short duration. Part of this will be due to stance and training, but part of it has a lot to do with the design of the handgun, especially versus the caliber and load of ammunition being used. The idea is to get on target fast and stay on target. On handed shooting with defensive ammo loads should be done if possible to evaluate how controllable the handgun would be for a situation.

Point Ability-The handgun must point as an extension of the lower arm. With the handgun high and firm in the hand, and with a locked wrist, you should be able to quickly bring the gun up to eye level and be looking at the sights with little or no adjustments. You should be able to do this one handed and two handed.

Accuracy- For a defensive purposes and optimum distance the handgun must provide acceptable accuracy. Choosing a match grade handgun is not necessary. Most major manufactures produce a wide variety of models, which have high standards of accuracy in their designs of defensive weapons.

Reliability- A defensive handgun should be reliable out of the box; if the weapon proves to be unreliable it would defeat its purpose even if it met all of the criteria needed for a concealed carry handgun. It generally takes years for a manufacturer to get a model design right so keep this in mind when a new model comes out you are interested in.

Size and Weight- You will have to decide between the size and weight for your need for concealment, defensive needs, and mode you would carry the handgun in. Some handguns are just too light or small to be controlled easily with full power defensive ammunition, while others are so large that they either will expose more easily or will cost the owner extra effort and money to achieve the needed concealment. A heavy gun, if not worn correctly or with the wrong type of equipment, will be difficult to conceal and uncomfortable to carry.

Cost- When choosing a defensive handgun you will have a budget in mind. Remember it is easier to take the extra time while shopping and compare all the available models. If possible and you have access to ether borrow or rent a similar model and try shooting it before buying it to see if the weapon fits you and is comfortable to shoot along with meeting the suggested elements for defensive concealed carry. This is no place to cut corners or settle, in the end you do get what you pay for.

For defensive purposes there are some further considerations.

Consider a complete weapons system will include spare magazines or speed loaders, holster(s) with magazine pouch and belt, and other accessories. Your defensive system may increase beyond a handgun to include defensive sprays, tactical flashlight, and other items. Other costs could include prepaid legal self-defense insurance, handgun permits, storage containers, and spare magazines. It is not recommended to buy after market (non-manufacturers) magazines, due to reliability issues. It is possible to spend twice the cost of your defensive handgun in these areas combined.

Remember if you cannot afford to be without proper means of defending yourself, then you cannot afford to have the wrong weapon or be cheap when it comes to acquiring the right tools that may be used to save your life!

Factors on what handguns you may have to choose from may depend on what is legal to own in your state, some states such as CA, MA, NJ, NY, MD, and others may have place restrictions on what you can legally own and poses in a handgun. Some states will have additional safety requirements on the design, and possible limits on magazine capacities.

BIO:
About Matt Schlueter
Matt Schlueter is a retired Deputy Sheriff from the Lake County Sheriffs Office, located in South Dakota with over 19 years of combined experience in corrections and law enforcement, and held the position of Firearms Instructor and DARE officer with the Lake County Sheriffs Office till his retirement. He is also a NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, and owner/chief instructor of Schlueter Firearms Instruction. Matt’s goal is to provide the best information possible for those who share his interest in shooting firearms. Matt’s goals also include providing the best training courses possible for students who attended courses he is offering. For those wishing to contact me please visit my website at Link Removed, or you can join me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SchlueterFirearmsInstruction. I enjoy readers who contacting me with comments, questions, or suggestions.

Carrying the, 'perfect weapon' may, or may not, 'get you out of Dodge' alive! I consider myself to be, generally, well-armed; and I'm well-armed most of the time too; however, being in possession of a, 'perfect weapon' can only make you so safe. Engagement - any sort of engagement - always places you at risk. The best defense is to flee the area. If you can't flee then try to settle down and stay out of sight. Remember that no matter how well-armed you might be, or how, 'good' with a gun, it only takes one or two active snipers (people you will never see) to completely dominate, regulate, and control an area - An area you do NOT want to find yourself trapped in.

I love the internet and use Youtube a lot for everything from how to rewire my 220 ac for a dryer to shotgun loads. I was given a 20 ga side by side that accepts 3 inch mags. I had a limited knowledge of this caliber and found a video on Youtube. It had a demo of a few types of shot, the 3 inch turkey really did the trick. We (grandkid) took the gun out and stared with birdshot working up to slugs and #3 Buck on frozen two litter bottles. I am sold on the slugs for and shot for my wife, I will use the 12 ga 000 buck for myself in 3 inch mag if we choose shotgun. Living in a small town and area of less than 7,000 souls I hope we never need to use any weapons. We take our side arms with us outside the area along with my AR and the Shotgun in the SUV. I hate travel, we did go out of state for the Holy Feast day of St. Turkey with ample protection along the three state trip along with copies of each state gun laws. I do have one question for the Sisters and Brothers. With all this bug out chat on the internet with the bug out bags and such, where and how do you think you will go? If you are not already there is it not too late? I know on the Pintrest site it is a big following. Hum, I do go one do I not?

I love the internet and use Youtube a lot for everything from how to rewire my 220 ac for a dryer to shotgun loads. I was given a 20 ga side by side that accepts 3 inch mags. I had a limited knowledge of this caliber and found a video on Youtube. It had a demo of a few types of shot, the 3 inch turkey really did the trick. We (grandkid) took the gun out and stared with birdshot working up to slugs and #3 Buck on frozen two litter bottles. I am sold on the slugs for and shot for my wife, I will use the 12 ga 000 buck for myself in 3 inch mag if we choose shotgun. Living in a small town and area of less than 7,000 souls I hope we never need to use any weapons. We take our side arms with us outside the area along with my AR and the Shotgun in the SUV. I hate travel, we did go out of state for the Holy Feast day of St. Turkey with ample protection along the three state trip along with copies of each state gun laws. I do have one question for the Sisters and Brothers. With all this bug out chat on the internet with the bug out bags and such, where and how do you think you will go? If you are not already there is it not too late? I know on the Pintrest site it is a big following. Hum, I do go one do I not?
Sorry we aren't going into details in this thread on BUG OUT BAGS or modes of transportation to your intended destination. For a good handout on how to assemble a BUG OUT BAG please visit our website Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back