Person Points Shotgun @ You..Do You Shoot

gunsite

the video below (link) shows an Officer getting shot in the face by a man pointing a shotgun at him. You'll here the Officer say " put the gun down buddy " then BOOM the officer is hit.

Civilian or LE... DO NOT take a person aiming a gun/shotgun at you lightly, DO NOT negotiate at this time, either shoot... or take cover... this officer is very lucky.

A person pointing a shotgun at you, would you be in fear of your life, YES you go directly to DEADLY FORCE, forget what you see on TV.

Link Removed

.....a NO BRAINER...unfortunately no real gun training.

...a person with actual gun training in the combat arms of the Armed Forces would have reacted differently, I think. Bottom line is there are TWO types of people in this situation...the QUICK and the DEAD! You decide your fate, and train mentally, PRACTICE your skills, and hope you NEVER have to use them.

...a person with actual gun training in the combat arms of the Armed Forces would have reacted differently, I think. Bottom line is there are TWO types of people in this situation...the QUICK and the DEAD! You decide your fate, and train mentally, PRACTICE your skills, and hope you NEVER have to use them.

Easy there Rambo! His reasoning for not opening fire when he pulled up, took even more brains and guts! Then pulling up and blasting away. He didn't want to risk killing someone in the building behind the BG. That took more balls then I have ever seen and I applaud him for that.

We had something like this happen in the next town over a few years ago. The officer was responding to a noise complaint at an apartment building. Knocked on the door, the man opened the door and stuck a shotgun into the officers neck. The officer had no room to run and in his own words "It wasn't feasible to draw his weapon". So he talked the guy into placing his firearm down and because the officer had no backup he left.

They got him at a later date and time. They ended up faking a fire at the apartment building and dressed like firemen, when he come out of his apartment they arrested him with out incident.

If your not willing to pull the trigger when your own life is at risk please send a different officer to my house if ever we need protecting when our lives are at risk. Most officers say that the hesitation is due to the worry of a wrogful death charge or unnecessary deadly force. And then thers a guilt that says what about this guys family...... ect... To this I have one thought. Hesitation will get you killed.
It's better to judged by 12 than carried by 6.

According to the video of the incident, a shot was fired which broke the driver's side window of the car. This did not appear to be the shot that took the bad guy down, as he appeared to still be moving around the back of the car. Either way, the hesitation was a problem. Not being an expert in combat training, I would assume that there are other officers on the scene and that the officer with the gun pointed at him would at least duck for cover and allow another officer to fire. Whether the bad guy planned for it or not, the "human shield" factor was used to his advantage. Unfortunately, it seems that it is these kinds of situations that influence police to give folks who open carry a hard time, ala Sargeant F-Bomb from Philadelphia.

It's a tough situation no matter how you slice it.

If someone is pointing a gun at me I will presume my life is in immediate danger and move for cover while firing.

From what little of the dash cam they show the SGT didn't sound like he thought the guy with the shotgun was a credible threat. While I'm sure that the thought of possible innocents being in the building behind Mr shotgun went through the SGT's mind I don't think it was the reason he didn't fire on Mr Shotgun. Just my .02 but it appears to me that the SGT just made some bad decisions in dealing with this situation.

I have to go with the bad decision on this one. I am not sure that opening up on the shooter would have been my first option (crapping my pants would come first), but I certainly would not have been standing there calling him "buddy". My guess is that the officer was using his car for cover (good), but his voice did not sound like he really thought the guy was going to pull the trigger (bad). I can't blame the officer because I was not there - he was. But this will certainly be on my mind if I ever find a weapon pointed at me. Who shoots first often wins.

We had something like this happen in the next town over a few years ago. The officer was responding to a noise complaint at an apartment building. Knocked on the door, the man opened the door and stuck a shotgun into the officers neck. The officer had no room to run and in his own words "It wasn't feasible to draw his weapon". So he talked the guy into placing his firearm down and because the officer had no backup he left.

They got him at a later date and time. They ended up faking a fire at the apartment building and dressed like firemen, when he come out of his apartment they arrested him with out incident.
Very cool. Outfoxed the little perp.

Depends on the situation. Most of the time if they don't fire when they draw, they won't. That's straight up facts right there.

........ but his voice did not sound like he really thought the guy was going to pull the trigger (bad). ................

Exactly, I get the impression that this Officer was mentally unprepared to take a human life and it almost cost him his. If the Perp had been using buckshot instead of birdshot this Officer would be dead.

If someone points a shotgun at me, I'll shoot the *********, if the opportunity exists.

The troubling part is the deliberate aiming by the perp. Of course it's also crystal clear in hindsight. Yes, most would of taken the shot, even if the muzzle was slightly off aim after telling the guy to drop the gun more than twice. The muzzle direction and the purposeful aiming(& not following directions) are big red flags. I can understand his concern about bystanders somewhat. A middle ground would also be better cover while directing. Glad he's mostly O.K.

Tough call. It would be instinctive to try to eliminate the threat, but..... where would the bullets end up? In someone inside the builing? Tough call.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back