Outdoor Venue that Serves Alcohol

Bigcarlover

So, are you allowed to carry in a place like a stadium if they serves alcohol? What about a fair? Racetrack?

That's a good question! I'm not 100% sure; given the law's mention of a place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises, I would lean towards the safe side and say do not carry if people are consuming alcohol. I'm interested in hearing an "official/legal" answer to this question...

Every State has different Laws, and Regulations pertaining to Carrying an Weapon at these places. In New York (Western NY) I can CCW in an establishment that serves alcohol. But it also depends on the owners of the place you are Carrying. I can CCW at our State Fairs, County Fairs Etc.

It all depends on the Owners of the Particular Establishment that you wish to CCW in.

Every State has different Laws, and Regulations pertaining to Carrying an Weapon at these places. In New York (Western NY) I can CCW in an establishment that serves alcohol. But it also depends on the owners of the place you are Carrying. I can CCW at our State Fairs, County Fairs Etc.

It all depends on the Owners of the Particular Establishment that you wish to CCW in.

that's why this question was posted in the SC section...

So, are you allowed to carry in a place like a stadium if they serves alcohol? What about a fair? Racetrack?

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.

According to this, no. It doesn't differentiate from whether it's a bar, restaurant or stadium. Which is one reason I would love to see restaurant carry passed here in SC.

Kindly remember members that if you drink and are CC, regardless of where you are, and you should end up in a "what if", any alcohol on your breath etal will not be looked at kindly by police, prosecutor, or other side of the "what if" in a civil case, where you most certainly will lose.

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.

I think it all goes back to what is unlawfully carrying...

I finally asked a lawyer and the question came back, "what is unlawfully carrying a pistol or firearm?"
Was it defined somewhere, which I mentioned yes, but with exceptions like SLED permits...

"There's your answer but I will be here to defend you if you need"

The sections I was referencing...

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee's person and a location specified in item (9).

I think it all goes back to what is unlawfully carrying...

I finally asked a lawyer and the question came back, "what is unlawfully carrying a pistol or firearm?"
Was it defined somewhere, which I mentioned yes, but with exceptions like SLED permits...

"There's your answer but I will be here to defend you if you need"

The sections I was referencing...

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee's person and a location specified in item (9).
So are you saying that the lawyers interpretation is that a CC permit holder CAN carry in a place that serves with on premise consumption because we are "lawfully carrying"?

So are you saying that the lawyers interpretation is that a CC permit holder CAN carry in a place that serves with on premise consumption because we are "lawfully carrying"?

This was a few years ago but what I got out of it was it didn't qualify as unlawfully carrying.
However, after the "....I will be here to defend you if you need", I didn't feel so confident.

But I also asked my CWP instructor which was a few months after that, he said almost the same exact thing.

The "lawfull" / "Unlawfull" debate has gone on for years. Unfortunately someone a while back asked the AGs opinion and he responded that it was unlawfull to carry in establishments selling alcohol. I had hope we would have gotten this fixed last year. With so many states coming around to carry in places selling alcohol it's hard to belive SC is dragging it's feet.

The "lawfull" / "Unlawfull" debate has gone on for years. Unfortunately someone a while back asked the AGs opinion and he responded that it was unlawfull to carry in establishments selling alcohol. I had hope we would have gotten this fixed last year. With so many states coming around to carry in places selling alcohol it's hard to belive SC is dragging it's feet.

NC as well, unfortunately.

Was that the same RHINO STATE AG whose opinion sided with Georgetown Council and Sheriff's office in banning CWP holders from leaving guns in their autos in direct opposition the recently passed state legislation allowing CWP holders to have their weapons in their autos or leave their weapons in their autos if entering the school?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back