Out of State questions

MrSmoofy

I'm a resident of FL and have my FL CCW Permit. I took a NRA First Steps class to get it.

Can I use this certificate to get my UT permit? The reason I'd like to get my UT permit is because it's recogized by MN (and i cheapers then MN) and I will be in MN for 6 months. What about finger prints? They were obviously done already for FL do I need to do them again?

with the UT permit can an out of state person purchase a gun in MN?

Thanks for any help.

The UT course differs from the NRA course and must be given by a UT certified instructor. Not sure about the fingerprints, but at the very least, I would assume that you would have to obtain them from the authorities in FL and forward them to the authorities in UT. (probably not worth the hassle.)

Not sure about long gun purchases in MN, however in-person non-resident handgun purchases are against federal law. If you wish to purchase a handgun from a state in which you do not reside, it must be shipped to a FFL in your home state, at which point a BG check must be performed as though you were purchasing it from that FFL.

The UT course differs from the NRA course and must be given by a UT certified instructor. Not sure about the fingerprints, but at the very least, I would assume that you would have to obtain them from the authorities in FL and forward them to the authorities in UT. (probably not worth the hassle.)

Not sure about long gun purchases in MN, however in-person non-resident handgun purchases are against federal law. If you wish to purchase a handgun from a state in which you do not reside, it must be shipped to a FFL in your home state, at which point a BG check must be performed as though you were purchasing it from that FFL.

Thank you for the answers and quick responses definitly clears up some questions I had.

My understanding was the fingerprints were FEDERAL not for the state and it would seem that if they already have them on file why would they need them again.

My understanding was the fingerprints were FEDERAL not for the state and it would seem that if they already have them on file why would they need them again.
This would be the logical assumption, which almost guarantees that such is not the case.:biggrin:

Welcome to USA Carry.

Not sure about the fingerprints, but at the very least, I would assume that you would have to obtain them from the authorities in FL and forward them to the authorities in UT. (probably not worth the hassle.)
The response has to come back from the FBI. The FBI only reports back to the entity requesting the background check on the blue FBI fingerprint card. If you have multiple States that require fingerprinting it obviously can get costly to maintain your deck of CCWs. Fortunately the only two I'm maintaining that require fingerprinting for renewals are FL and NV.

I'm a resident of FL and have my FL CCW Permit. I took a NRA First Steps class to get it.

Can I use this certificate to get my UT permit? The reason I'd like to get my UT permit is because it's recogized by MN (and i cheapers then MN) and I will be in MN for 6 months.
No, you must get a Utah certified instructor to stamp your initial UT application upon completion of the mandated course.
What about finger prints? They were obviously done already for FL do I need to do them again?
Yes. The response for the background check has to come from the FBI directly. A previously run card will not work. As I stated before, this can be costly if you maintain several States if they require fingerprinting. Fortunately only two of the States I maintain require fingerprinting for renewals. There is no provision for reusing a previously done FBI background check. TN will waive it as they have a quasi-transfer system if you are issued a State that meets their waiver requirements for training or background checks.
with the UT permit can an out of state person purchase a gun in MN?
No. You can only purchase handguns in your State(s) of residency. Long guns in any State from an FFL providing there's no local law where the transaction is taking place prohibiting it.

Thanks everyone for the responses they have been helpful.

I completed the 4hr course required for UT last night and found out I could apply for PA as well if I wanted to.

I understand I could apply to any state that I now have the qualifications for like PA, TN, NH, and I'm sure a few others.

Question is though is there a reason I should other then I can. With my FL and now my UT I believe I'm covered in about 30-35 states. Are there any others I should consider. Obviously not having to travel to the state to apply in person or take an in state course is ideal.

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks everyone for the responses they have been helpful.

I completed the 4hr course required for UT last night and found out I could apply for PA as well if I wanted to.

I understand I could apply to any state that I now have the qualifications for like PA, TN, NH, and I'm sure a few others.
You need to reside or work in TN 30 hours or more a week to get TN. There's no reason to get NH or PA as they have Link Removed. Always check where you're traveling to verify reciprocity or recognition has not changed. It can and not necessarily in your favor.
Question is though is there a reason I should other then I can. With my FL and now my UT I believe I'm covered in about 30-35 states. Are there any others I should consider. Obviously not having to travel to the state to apply in person or take an in state course is ideal.
No, the only States you're not covered in that you could get are CT, ME and NV. You'd be wasting money if you get NH if you didn't have to especially with the price increase going from $20 to $100 for non-resident licenses. I'd only entertain PA if you were thinking about moving and ended up needing it. PA is a good quick LTC to get if your resident CCW doesn't cover you while traveling and you haven't followed my practice of getting your (declared) State of residency first, UT then any additional States you may need.

If you wish to get NV you need to travel to NV to receive the required instruction and apply in person at any county sheriff. My recommendation would be Link Removed. While I am a licensed NV CFP instructor approved by LVMPD, they still have a bit more to learn from Washoe County in terms of customer service. Northern Nevada with the exception of Pahrump tend to be much more firearm friendly than Clark County.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back