Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

We've put over 1000 rounds through my wife's Ruger LCP and we are very happy with the gun. I have never seen the Taurus, but the Ruger LCP is an excellent, easily concealable pistol!

Buddy of mine does gun smithing.....he has seen "plenty" of quality issues with Taurus pistols, and they weren't due to user error.:no: The Ruger LCP has been sold by the gazillions, they can't be problomatic for that to occur. Mine has yet to have a failure of any kind, and is very accurate and fun to shoot. The issues with Taurus is usually due to the lack of quality assurance, rushing new models out too quickly, and their tolerances and fit and finish is pure ass compared to others. I happen to be a Glock snob, and my gunsmith buddy says he rarely ever sees a Glock that needs repaired or sent back. At least Ruger has great customer service, that is another area where Taurus is seriously lacking.

Buddy of mine does gun smithing.....he has seen "plenty" of quality issues with Taurus pistols, and they weren't due to user error.:no: The Ruger LCP has been sold by the gazillions, they can't be problomatic for that to occur. Mine has yet to have a failure of any kind, and is very accurate and fun to shoot. The issues with Taurus is usually due to the lack of quality assurance, rushing new models out too quickly, and their tolerances and fit and finish is pure ass compared to others. I happen to be a Glock snob, and my gunsmith buddy says he rarely ever sees a Glock that needs repaired or sent back. At least Ruger has great customer service, that is another area where Taurus is seriously lacking.

Do you have a buddy that is also an expert in cancer? You evidence is lacking any credibility. You may as well have said Taurus bad, Ruger good ugggggg. You have obviously never used Taurus customer service. I have had great luck with the couple times have used it. I have had the opposite luck with Ruger CS the couple times I have used it. Ruger had problems with several of its guns for rushing to production and the LCP was one. It had a recall for Christ sake. For the research challenged here is a link Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Just for fun here is a link where people are not brainless praising of it.
Link Removed

Its a lot like the people who confuse blind nationalism with patriotism.

Not exactly true.

I said "general consensus", not "everybody". I should have prefaced my statement by saying "From what I've seen......". There will always be differing opinions.....especially in publications and/or websites where advertising money is at stake :biggrin:

That being said, from what I've seen the 238's reviews are extremely positive - overall quite a bit better than the rest. No major complaints. The same can't be said for the others (LCP, TCP, etc.). The Rohrbaugh is extremely expensive and many dealers don't carry it. For that reason I really didn't consider it. I was speaking about the more common guns.

Do you have a buddy that is also an expert in cancer? You evidence is lacking any credibility. You may as well have said Taurus bad, Ruger good ugggggg. You have obviously never used Taurus customer service. I have had great luck with the couple times have used it. I have had the opposite luck with Ruger CS the couple times I have used it. Ruger had problems with several of its guns for rushing to production and the LCP was one. It had a recall for Christ sake. For the research challenged here is a link Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Just for fun here is a link where people are not brainless praising of it.
Link Removed

Its a lot like the people who confuse blind nationalism with patriotism.

My evidence for Taurus making crappy guns isn't lacking any credibility. When you know people that work on guns for a living, are experts on guns for a living, and sell "all types of guns" for a living......I would call that person very credible. And opinions are like assholes, which you and I have both.

My evidence for Taurus making crappy guns isn't lacking any credibility. When you know people that work on guns for a living, are experts on guns for a living, and sell "all types of guns" for a living......I would call that person very credible. And opinions are like assholes, which you and I have both.

I'm with you on that one, Pokey. The individual you were responding to has changed his stories concerning Taurus and Ruger so many times that I don't think he even knows what true and what's a figment of his imagination. If people want to buy a Taurus then good for them. I won't.

P.S. Wanna buy my season tickets for next season's Buckeye/Hurricane matchup down here in Miami?? Lower level, 25 yd line :biggrin:

I said "general consensus", not "everybody". I should have prefaced my statement by saying "From what I've seen......". There will always be differing opinions.....especially in publications and/or websites where advertising money is at stake :biggrin:

That being said, from what I've seen the 238's reviews are extremely positive - overall quite a bit better than the rest. No major complaints. The same can't be said for the others (LCP, TCP, etc.). The Rohrbaugh is extremely expensive and many dealers don't carry it. For that reason I really didn't consider it. I was speaking about the more common guns.

That's why I like "Gun Test"; they accept NO advertising.

I use a 24/7 ProC 45 for my PCW because quite frankly it was the only gun that was a good enough performer for CC and cheap enough that I could get one for me and one for my wife. I have been pleasantly surprised and my confidence in the Taurus brand has improved significantly.

I like the little TCP. But, a CWP student brought one of those new little Sigs out at the last class and I really loved it. (The one with that new finish that changes color, rosewood grips & night sights.) I think one cost around $750 in my area; and I want an AR worse than I want a new BUG.

I've also tried the Kahr, Kel-Tecs, etc. But, I really don't like any of those. My B-day is coming up in a couple of months and I hope to get a new AR by then. (Maybe, my wife will get me a Sig for my anniversary this summer.):biggrin:

That's why I like "Gun Test"; they accept NO advertising.[/I]

Talk about timing! Here you are extolling the virtues of "Gun Tests" and guess what I find in my mail when I get home - a Gun Tests subscription packet. Quite the coincidence......or is it :biggrin:

Anyway, I thought it was a bit amusing that the two Taurus pistols shown in their teaser ratings both got an "F". One of them, the Millenium Pro, was "beset with double-feeds and stovepipes".

Looks like they know what they're talking about. I'm going to subscribe.

Talk about timing! Here you are extolling the virtues of "Gun Tests" and guess what I find in my mail when I get home - a Gun Tests subscription packet. Quite the coincidence......or is it :biggrin:

Anyway, I thought it was a bit amusing that the two Taurus pistols shown in their teaser ratings both got an "F". One of them, the Millenium Pro, was "beset with double-feeds and stovepipes".

Looks like they know what they're talking about. I'm going to subscribe.

Yeah,
I haven't seen mine yet. I do NOT like the Milpros or the 709; and they get a big fat "F" from me as well.
(Love the 24/7 "Pro Compact" line and their 1911's though.)

The one thing that people dislike most about Taurus is the slack in the trigger. It does take getting used to; but, the reset is good. Another thing I haven't been thrilled about are their magazines. (But, I haven't had any problems with mine.)

"Gun Tests Magazine" is very objective and fair in their testing. I really don't trust any "testing" house that accepts any advertising or manufacturer dollars.

BTW; What was the other Taurus?

Gun Tests compared nine pocket 380's a few months ago including; Sig, Kahr, Kel-tec, Taurus, Rohrbaugh and four others that escapes my "old-guy" memory. But, the results were that the Taurus out performed ALL other "pocket" 380's except the Rohrbaugh. But, at $1000+ dollars the Rohrbaugh is a very steep price for most shooters.
(I think the Sig came in third.)

I looked through some of Gun Tests ratings. I didn't see a direct comparison but on their archive of grades they gave the LCP an "A-" and the Taurus 138BP .380 subcompact a "D". I didn't see anything on the TCP but I haven't dug too deeply yet.

Interesting read. They get pretty detailed and in-depth in their testing and reporting.

Might as well jump in here. I have a LCP. Very nice, easy to carry little gun. This was the version after the recall problems. No trouble with it at all.
It is very accurate especially for it's intended use! I don't really understand why there would be much concern about the sights. Yes, nice glowing night sights would be nice but on a gun like this there are more important concerns.
I put the Crimson Trace Laserguard on mine. That is how I can say it is a pretty accurate gun. I have had nice groupings at 15 yds. That is taking some time to get on target. Put the Laser on any of these pocket pistols and get on target real quick and with just a bit of trigger control it will perform as intended in the statistically common self-defense range.
Not too much mention here about the Kahr p380. That gun I believe is top quality and the slide locks open after last round.

Might as well jump in here. I have a LCP. Very nice, easy to carry little gun. This was the version after the recall problems. No trouble with it at all.
It is very accurate especially for it's intended use! I don't really understand why there would be much concern about the sights. Yes, nice glowing night sights would be nice but on a gun like this there are more important concerns.
I put the Crimson Trace Laserguard on mine. That is how I can say it is a pretty accurate gun. I have had nice groupings at 15 yds. That is taking some time to get on target. Put the Laser on any of these pocket pistols and get on target real quick and with just a bit of trigger control it will perform as intended in the statistically common self-defense range.
Not too much mention here about the Kahr p380. That gun I believe is top quality and the slide locks open after last round.

I like the low profile sights on the LCP. Less likely to catch on something when you're bringing it out of your pocket. Let's face it - these guns are designed to be used at very close range. I practice with the LCP at 20 feet, and even that's probably at the long end of the range that it'll probably be used at (here in Fla, the "danger zone" where deadly force can be used for self defense starts at 21 feet in most cases). I'm not too worried about the sights on a pocket gun.

The Kahr you mention is a sweet gun as well. I chose the LCP because I was able to shoot a friend's several times and I liked it very much. I believe Ruger produces much better pistols than Taurus, who have a much-deserved reputation for poor quality control and shoddy workmanship on some of their models. I looked at the Kahr online and I didn't see a finger extension for the mag. That's important for me because of my hand size.

Link Removed

Link Removed

If anyone wants to read a real range report and not B2S biased garbage here is a great link.

Taurus 738 TCP Range Report « Day At The Range

What a great "single opinion" about the Taurus POS 738.....I mean the TCP. He got cut by the slide.....imagine that, which is due to the many several sharp edges that is free of charge. In theory the pistol is a great design and honestly a very nice gun.....however the ichmachining quality and fit and finish of the gun is subpar. Polish this and polish that, and the gun pretty much works the way it should out of the box. Their revolvers are pretty darn good, however the cylinder slop is much more than you would ever see in a S&W or a Ruger.

What a great "single opinion" about the Taurus POS 738.....I mean the TCP. He got cut by the slide.....imagine that, that is due to the many several sharp edges that is free of charge. In theory the pistol is a great design and honestly a very nice gun.....however the machining quality and fit and finish of the gun is subpar. Polish this and polish that, and the gun pretty much works the way it should out of the box. Their revolvers are pretty darn good, however the cylinder slop is much more than you would ever see in a S&W or a Ruger.

Read that report and then scroll down to the comments section. It seems that quite a few posters don't agree with the article's glowing assesment of the TCP. As I've said in other posts, my preferred gun dealer stopped carrying Taurus autos because he said that 4 out of 10 people wanted to return them. Not good.

Read that report and then scroll down to the comments section. It seems that quite a few posters don't agree with the article's glowing assesment of the TCP. As I've said in other posts, my preferred gun dealer stopped carrying Taurus autos because he said that 4 out of 10 people wanted to return them. Not good.

Put your finger or thumb behind any Ruger and I bet it will do the same as the Taurus. Sure many do not agree with the assessment of the range report, just as many here do not agree with you, and that means exactly what? If you are that stupid to not understand that you can find experts for and against every side of every issue you are a very poorly educated person. If you were honest which I am more inclined to think you lie to yourself or are self deluded, you would know that you can find people who do not like any gun on the market. And that means exactly what? A gun has to impress and work for the person who uses it and for the purpose intended.

I find is sophomoric that some would try to gin up rhetoric against a particular gun or company based on some notion of brand loyalty. Very harry high school of you. Do you sit in the local pub and argue how good your Chevy or ford is just the best in the world because it was made in America? I would bet my last dollar that you are a tea bagger, one of those blind nationalists who call themselves a patriot, not understanding that the NSDAP did the same thing, and it lead to quite a lot of trouble.
If you don't like Taurus you are free to not purchase one, you can see if you can dig up old Bill Ruger and have an affair with his corpse. But your seeming bitter attitude toward a model of gun you do not even own and have not even shot seems to go beyond opinion and more toward you mental state. Unstable in many senses.

I can post many threads where people do not like Glock or striker fired guns, or love Glock but hate the S&W Sigma, all based on brand loyalty. I have both and shoot both, have shot and owned hundreds of guns, and all have their pros and cons. Personally I am not stuck on one brand. Many have good points and bad. Ruger used to be inexpensive, not anymore, there are many guns that are better price point and give more for the buck. S&W is one in the new SW9VE.

There are many range reports that give good unbiased reports of the TCP, here are a few,
Taurus PT 738 TCP .380 ACP Stainless/Polymer Pocket Pistol
Taurus TCP - magazine review - THR

Link Removed

BTW I have had my German Walther PPK cut my thumb when it was in the wrong place and the PPK is far superior to any Ruger.

taurus tcp 738 repair problems

I have owned a few taurus guns in the past with no problems, but i recently purchased the tcp 738 i like the last shot slide lock compared to the LCP.
When i went to function fire my TCP it was shooting really low at 10 feet the point of inpact was 14 inches low compared to the piont of aim, upon cleaning i did some checking and found the barrel pointing down .063 in the lenght of the barrel, so i went and sent it back to for repiars, and ib about 2 weeks later i recieved it back, so i took it to the range to function fire it, i shoot it and on the 4th round the gun jambed, so upon inspection it did not eject the spent casing, and noticed the extractor was broke, note point of inpact was dead on.
sent it back again this time i call after 2 weeks since i did not hear from them so i called, they said that they were finishing up on it, i told them that i needed my gun since i was leaving in a week on the road, they said they would ship it out ASAP, after 4 days no gun, called back and was told it was not done by another customer service person, and was told that i would not have it back in time before i left to go on the road.
I went and purchased a LCP before i hit the road, function fired it, shoots great, got to get use to trhe slide not locking back, but after 100 rounds and no problems, thinking of adding laser.
back home and been lied to by taurus to ship me my gun, called everyday for a week to have it shipped and still no gun only been 6 weeks.

Well, wife and step-daughter have been wanting a pink gun for a while. So I got them the pink TCP. I was hesitant because all I can afford for a carry gun is my Taurus PT-145 and I really don't like for the only reason that it is picky on ammo it will feed reliably.

But, I was buying targets at my local hardware store and they had a barely (as in <50 rounds) used pink TCP for a decent price, so I got it.

Let me tell you, I am incredibly impressed! The trigger is extremely smooth and even all the way through the double action pull. It is extremely accurate. Of course, you have to get used to holding such a tiny gun.

I only have two complaints about the gun. The first round, unless you really pull the slide all the way back and completely let go, does not chamber without assistance. I don't have any problems with the first round, but my wife and step-daughter do. But that's only the first round anyway.

The second compaint is the brass ejects all over the place, including right back at the shooter a good percentage of the time.

But the accuracy and trigger are amazing.

I only have two complaints about the gun. The first round, unless you really pull the slide all the way back and completely let go, does not chamber without assistance.

LT, how else would you normally load the first round? Maybe everything will loosen up a bit after a few rounds.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back