open carry

I have read many posts on this forum from open carriers who claim that criminals won't/don't target Open carriers. This is a lie.

You say you've read "many" such posts. Find three. Nah, find two and demonstrate that the OC'ers on this forum have ever claimed in such unequivocal terms that targeting "won't/don't" happen.

It's your claim, now back it up. I think you pulled that statement out of your backside, and doubt that you can find any such unequivocal statements.

Blues

I have read many posts on this forum from open carriers who claim that criminals won't/don't target Open carriers. This is a lie.
While open carry may encourage some and deter others, I don't think there's a shred of truth in the idea that carrying concealed has any deterrent value.

There's a reason why Texas has longhorns and not Polled Herefords.

Sent from my XT907 using USA Carry mobile app

There are no absolutes in life. But there are odds. The odds are that in my area, where I live, the simple criminals we have around here who are just looking for targets of easy opportunity are more likely to pass on the person they know is carrying a gun. I'll play the odds in my favor, but make no claim about anything being an absolute.

Also, in reference to the article about the WalMart attack - there is absolutely no evidence regarding the motive for the attack. More and more people today are going off the deep end if you just look at them the wrong way.

Also, the person who claims to be the victim's dad in the comments also says this: "yes I agree I think he may consider my advice to carry concealed from now on even though its a much slower draw from concealment."

I'm not going to waste my time searching for posts on here. We all know people gave posted that before. I know Navy has on more than 1 occasion.

I am not against open carry. I've done it myself. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy that goes on here.

Navy is right. There are no absolutes in life

You say you've read "many" such posts. Find three. Nah, find two and demonstrate that the OC'ers on this forum have ever claimed in such unequivocal terms that targeting "won't/don't" happen.

It's your claim, now back it up. I think you pulled that statement out of your backside, and doubt that you can find any such unequivocal statements.

Blues

More than 12 hours later and nothing but.....

cricket.gif
cricket1f.gif

Seems like "...many posts on this forum from open carriers who claim that criminals won't/don't target Open carriers..." wouldn't take more than a minute or two to find a couple of posts consistent with his unequivocal accusation that OC'ers on "this forum" tell "many" lies about our perceived benefits of OC'ing.

It would appear that, as Saltheart Foamfollower accuses multiple OC'ers on this forum of telling "many" lies according to what he himself claims to have "seen," that he was lying while making the accusation.

Truly poor form there, Mr. Foamfollower.

Blues

I'm not going to waste my time searching for posts on here. We all know people gave posted that before. I know Navy has on more than 1 occasion.

I am not against open carry. I've done it myself. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy that goes on here.

Wow. So Navy has lied "on more than one occasion," but he's the member whose words you use to substantiate the lie that you told about him and the rest of us to begin with???

Like I said, you pulled that accusation out of your ass. None of us has ever said what you claimed. We all know now that you're a liar.

Blues

Translation: Yep, you caught me pulling things out of my azz, so now I am just going to skirt that by saying I am too effing lazy to back up anything I say with those pesky "facts" that people ON THIS FORUM keep asking me for.....

I believe there is historical evidence to suggest that there is much more propensity for the concealed carry supporter to claim "You will get shot first" and/or "A criminal will try to steal your gun" about those who open carry than there is for an open carry supporter to say "a criminal will not attack me". There are certainly many more concealed carry supporters who give those reasons (get shot first and gun stolen) for concealing than open carry supporters who open carry based on a belief that a criminal will never attack them.

In real world evidence that we have available there is zero support for the theory that Joe Citizen, not also wearing a police or security guard uniform, will be shot first out of a group of people at the location of a crime. Real world evidence of people having their guns stolen while being openly carried (especially handguns carried in holsters on the body) suggests that the frequency of such occurrences is two or three instances (and those are usually very questionable) per year, NATIONWIDE. Not enough to make any kind of statement that it is likely to happen, but frequent enough to disapprove "a criminal will not attack me".

I would suggest the hypocrisy comes from the CC only crowd (note that there are many CC'ers who do not say that CC is the end all/be all and some folks who CC and OC so the term "CC only crowd" does not apply to them) who constantly deride open carry touting some mythical .. element of surprise... tactical... benefit that OC doesn't have while spouting the talking points of OC putting folks in danger of being "shot first" or "targets for a gun grab" while being unable to present any actual factual events that have happened in any amount to be anything more than a statistical rarity.

And the latest incident that the CC only crowd has jumped on as a "See? Told ya OC makes you a target for bad guys! The guy wouldn't have been hit with a ball bat if he had been carrying concealed!" without waiting to see if the bad guy's motive for the attack had anything to do with the openly carried gun.

Link Removed

As is so often the case, the real story emerged in the comments to the article, where Brad Walker, who self-identified as the father of the victim, explained that the criminal’s apparent goal was to steal his son’s openly carried Sig Sauer pistol.

So now we are supposed to take the father's ... guess... concerning the motive of the criminal as actual fact, you know... the "real story?"... just because it is reported in an article? How about I ... guess... the criminal's motive and say the criminal attacked the guy because he wanted his new shoes? Or he just wanted to knock him out and take his wallet?

My point being .. until we find out what the criminal's actual motive was all that is happening is the CC only crowd is doing exactly what the anti gunners do.... taking an incident before the facts are in and spinning it in favor of their agenda.

And even if the criminal did attack the man because of open carry... open carriers being attacked because of open carry would still be a statistical rarity. Yes it can happen yet the fact that so few OC'ers are attacked for their openly carried gun ... the very silence itself about that happening... speaks volumes about OC's deterrent value. After all... if OC didn't have that deterrent value we would be hearing about OC'ers being attacked all the time. But considering that people have been OCing for decades in just Arizona yet the there is a striking lack of OCers being attacked also speaks volumes about the desperation to justify their own fear of OC the CC only crowd must be feeling as they jump on this latest incident where the motive of the attacker hasn't been found out yet.

I would rather open carry and deter the criminal, than to look unarmed and play the bad odds of being their next victim...which unfortunately happens a lot. Look at what the pizza lady had to go through recently.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Security guards and cops? More amateur hypotheticals?

Concealed carriers are chosen every single day. Statistically, you are playing worse odds than open carriers.

Your view of open carriers is as fake as your stories.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

In 10 years of open carrying I have never been attacked by a criminal...it's worked quite well for me, I'll stick with what I know works.

QUOTE=Mainsail;68167]The Open Carry Argument

My primary goal when I’m out and about, besides whatever I went out and about to do, is to go about peaceably and not be the victim of a violent crime. To that end I carry a firearm whenever I go out as well as follow all the other standard safety practices like maintaining situational awareness, staying out of high crime areas, and avoiding confrontation. I also have a larger overall goal of making it through my life without shooting anyone. Simply put, I don’t want to be responsible, legally or morally, for another’s death. Those two goals might appear at first blush to be mutually exclusive, and with concealed carry it would be a difficult set of goals to realize.

Carry of any firearm or other weapon for defensive purposes is a solemn responsibility. Those of us that do (openly or concealed) are mortified by the idea, constantly promoted by the pacifists, that our behavior is more reckless because we are armed. In other words, because we carry a handgun we take more risks than we would if we were unarmed. While it would be dishonest to claim we are all responsible gun owners, it is my belief that the vast majority of us are. Regardless of what or how you carry, you need to come to the realization that you are setting yourself up to lose. Whenever you are placed in a defensive situation, you will always lose; it’s only the degree of loss that’s negotiable. Ayoob hits on this in his book, In the Gravest Extreme. He suggests tossing the robber a small wad of cash and moving off, even if you could prevail with a weapon. There’s a very good reason for this. Regardless of how skilled you are at drawing your weapon, you are going to lose. It may be only a minor loss, like being very shaken up and not sleeping well for a few days, or it may be a major loss, like becoming fertilizer, or (most likely) it may be somewhere in-between, but you always lose. Your life will not be the same even if you prevail.

Carrying a concealed firearm presents to a criminal that I am unarmed. Every study I’ve ever read, not most but every study, says that criminals will avoid an armed person or home when selecting a victim. That only makes sense, right? Robbers, rapists, or carjackers might be dumb and opportunistic, but they have the same instinctual sense of self preservation we all have. Hyenas don’t attack lions to steal the gazelle the lions have just killed. It’s all about risk management; are the potential gains (a tasty gazelle dinner) worth the risks (pain and damage the lion’s teeth will cause), and does the hyena really need to test the lion to figure out the answer? No, the hyena can see the lion’s teeth and knows to stay well clear.

Deterrent Value:
When I’m carrying concealed I feel like my ‘teeth’ are hidden, and thus of no real deterrent value. If I appear unarmed then I am unarmed in the eyes of the robber, I appear as easy a target as almost anyone else out on the street. My probability of being a victim of a crime, violent or otherwise, is completely unchanged by the fact that I have hidden beneath my shirt the means to defend myself. My goal, however, is not to be a victim in the first place, remember? I don’t want to be a victim that fought back successfully and triumphed; I prefer to not be victimized at all. I recognize that there are some people who (think they) want to be victimized so they can whip out their concealed firearm and ‘surprise’ the mugger; that is, in my opinion, foolish immaturity. Concealed carry is good; it throws a wrench in the works for criminals who might see the teeming masses as a smorgasbord of financial gain. This deterrent effect is, nonetheless, indirect and often nil. At some point the thug will weigh the risks vs. the gains; is his current desperation for money/drugs/booze/gold grille greater than the gamble that one of those people might be carrying a gun? If he decides to play the odds, which helped along with surprise tip the scale in his favor, he will attack. Will his attack allow enough time for me to draw my concealed firearm to affect a defense? Maybe, but then again, maybe not.

Remember, I don’t want to be a victim and I don’t want to shoot anyone. So how do I realize both goals; or how do I make them inclusive? I can do that through open carry. By making it clear and obvious that I am armed, that I have teeth, I tip the risk scale to the point that the criminal’s gains are far outweighed by the risk. There is no ambiguity when the thug is doing his risk assessment, there’s something right there in plain sight that can quickly and painfully change or terminate his life. You may not think his life has much value, but as I mentioned before, he has the same sense of self preservation as any other living creature and to him it’s every bit as valuable as yours is to you. It would be foolish to ignore this indisputable fact when you develop your overall tactical strategy.

The Five Stages of Violent Crime
I am a firm believer in this defense theology and urge anyone who carries a firearm for protection (and even those who do not) to follow the link and read it carefully. Please, for your and your family’s sake, read that. Drill down into the hyperlinks for better explanations; absorb as much information as you can. A violent crime does not begin at the point where one person with ill intent draws a weapon or attacks another.

I do not believe the act begins after the BG has made his intentions known by drawing on you (attack); it began when he formed the intent. Well, there’s not a lot I can do personally to stop another’s intent, so I need to look a little farther along in the sequence and try to derail that train before it gets to the attack. For the sake of argument, let’s remove weapons from the equation for just a moment. A 5’2” unarmed attacker isn’t going to choose a 6’6” victim over a 5’1” victim, right? He’s going to attack the easier target. Now let’s come back to the reality of violent crime and add back the weapons. Concealed carry presumes it is better to wait until the opponent has drawn his knife or gun and then try to ‘fix’ the situation. It’s seems a bit foolish to promote the idea that it’s better to attempt to stop a violent crime in the fourth stage when you could instead prevent it in the second. A concealed weapon cannot deter an attack at the ‘interview’ stage; it’s completely ineffectual in that role. Open carry is the only method that provides a direct deterrent. Let’s say the bad-guy missed the openly carried pistol and holster during the interview stage, and has proceeded to the ‘positioning’ stage. Chances are pretty good he’ll see it at some point then, right? Then, let’s say the planets have all aligned just so and he, for whatever reason, has begun his attack despite your openly carried sidearm. At this point, the OCer is on level footing with the CCer, the attack has begun. Who has the advantage? Well, I’m going to say that with all things being equal (skill level and equipment) the OCer has a speed of draw advantage over the CCer.

First One To Be Shot:
There are some who criticize open carry and claim it will make you more of a target or ‘the first one shot’ when a robber walks into the 7-11, despite the absolute lack of credible evidence that this has ever happened. If the robber walks in and sees that you’re armed, his whole plan has encountered an unexpected variable. In bank robberies where he might expect to see an armed guard he will have already factored that possibility into his plan, but only for the armed guard, not for open or concealed carry citizens. No robber robs a bank without at least a rudimentary plan. Nevertheless, being present for a bank robbery is an extremely remote possibility for most of us regardless of our preferred method of handgun carry, so let’s go back in the 7-11. If the robber sees someone is armed he is forced to either significantly alter the plan or abort it outright. Robbing is an inherently apprehensive occupation, and one that doesn’t respond well to instant modifications. He is not prepared to commit murder when he only planned for larceny. He knows that a petty robbery will not garner the intense police manhunt a murder would. He doesn’t know if you’re an armed citizen or a police officer and isn’t going to take the time to figure it out. Either way, if someone in the 7-11 is unexpectedly armed, how many others might be similarly adorned and where might they be? Does this unexpectedly armed individual have a partner who is likewise armed nearby, someone who is watching right now? Self preservation compels him to abort the plan for one that is less risky. So we see that the logic matches the history; open carriers are not the first ones shot because it doesn’t make sense in any common street crime scenario that they would be. If your personal self protection plan emphasizes “Hollywood” style crimes over the more realistic street mugging, it might be best to stay home.[/QUOTE]

Open carriers will be shot first! Geez, don't you pay attention?!? That's what "they" have been telling us for years! Hasn't happened yet, but I am sure it will, because "they" say it will! :wacko:

So, Saltheart Foamfollower, you claim:

Then you quote two of my posts:

NavyLCDR said:
In 10 years of open carrying I have never been attacked by a criminal...it's worked quite well for me, I'll stick with what I know works.

Open carriers will be shot first! Geez, don't you pay attention?!? That's what "they" have been telling us for years! Hasn't happened yet, but I am sure it will, because "they" say it will!

In my first post I stated that I had never been attacked in 10 years of open carrying so I will continue to open carry. How does that equate to a statement that it will never happen in the future? And, I did not look to see when I posted that, but whenever it was I can tell you that I still have not been attacked by a criminal since I posted it. That is not a claim that it will never happen. My second post stated that there has never been any evidence of Joe Citizen being shot first at the scene of a crime because they were open carrying without also wearing the uniform of a police officer or security guard. Again, a simple statement of fact, not a prediction of the future. You have, thus far, failed to provide an example where I said that a criminal would not attack an open carrier. I have always held, and continue to maintain the position that it is unlikely a criminal will attack an open carrier if the criminal sees the gun in enough time to simply choose an easier target and even more unlikely that Joe Citizen openly carrying will ever be shot first at the scene of a crime because they are openly carrying, absent wearing a uniform.

Won't/don't. If you're unfamiliar with the english language, I'll explain that to you. Substitute the word "or" for the slash.

Clearer now?

Haven't been attacked in 10 years is past tense. "Won't/don't" is present and/or future tense. All any of us have ever said is that we believe there is deterrent value in OC'ing, including Mainsail's excellent "The Case for Open Carry" that you posted for God only knows what reason, when considering that it confirms your unequivocal "won't/don't" statement is a lie, and the "many posts on this forum" only compounds the lie. We OC to increase our odds of avoiding/deterring a need for armed confrontation. None of us have ever made the kind of unequivocal statement that you accused us of making on this forum, or anywhere else where we might participate.

You have presented nothing but rational, first-hand-experiential posts that completely contradict your own pulled-from-your-ass, wholly made-up statement. I couldn't have done any better at proving the falsehood of that statement than you yourself have unwittingly done, so I guess I'll just say thanks for the assist and leave you to your delusions of thinking you have substantiated the lie you originally told.

Suck it indeed. Right back atcha cupcake.

Blues

Know my role in my community? I don't carry my gun openly or concealed to fulfill any role in the community. I carry my gun to protect myself and my family and possibly a stranger if need be. The best protection that I can provide for myself and my family is to decrease the possibility that the criminal will choose us as a target to begin with. The concealed firearm can do nothing to deter the criminal from choosing me as a target over the guy in the next spot in the parking lot because we would both look the same. The concealed firearm can only be used AFTER the criminal has chosen to attack you. Criminals are lazy and have common sense too. There is no reason for them to choose the person whom they know has the ability to kill them readily at hand when 99% of the remaining population is not displaying the means to readily kill them.

My original statement was that open carriers have said that criminals won't OR don't attack an open carrier because of the deterrence factor. That is not true. Perhaps I phrased it badly.

I'm not against open carry. I've open carried in the past and I will again in the future. I'm against hypocrisy on both sides.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using USA Carry mobile app

Haven't been attacked in 10 years is past tense. "Won't/don't" is present and/or future tense. All any of us have ever said is that we believe there is deterrent value in OC'ing, including Mainsail's excellent "The Case for Open Carry" that you posted for God only knows what reason, when considering that it confirms your unequivocal "won't/don't" statement is a lie, and the "many posts on this forum" only compounds the lie. We OC to increase our odds of avoiding/deterring a need for armed confrontation. None of us have ever made the kind of unequivocal statement that you accused us of making on this forum, or anywhere else where we might participate.

You have presented nothing but rational, first-hand-experiential posts that completely contradict your own pulled-from-your-ass, wholly made-up statement. I couldn't have done any better at proving the falsehood of that statement than you yourself have unwittingly done, so I guess I'll just say thanks for the assist and leave you to your delusions of thinking you have substantiated the lie you originally told.

Suck it indeed. Right back atcha cupcake.

Blues

You do realize that I'm not here to please you, right? Your views, which I personally find to be extremist, are not the only views. Additionally, there are people on here who disagree with you and think your views are wrong, no matter how much you quote, dissect, and bluster. I respect your conviction, even when I disagree with you. Just because you say it doesn't make it so.

My original statement was that open carriers have said that criminals won't OR don't attack an open carrier because of the deterrence factor. That is not true. Perhaps I phrased it badly.

I'm not against open carry. I've open carried in the past and I will again in the future. I'm against hypocrisy on both sides.

You do realize that I'm not here to please you, right? Your views, which I personally find to be extremist, are not the only views. Additionally, there are people on here who disagree with you and think your views are wrong, no matter how much you quote, dissect, and bluster. I respect your conviction, even when I disagree with you. Just because you say it doesn't make it so.

And the same can be said for you as well. You claim there to be hypocrisy in the posts on this website, particularly on the open carry side. We asked you for evidence. You provided what you believe to be evidence. Now others can read what you based your opinion on and decide for themselves. That's really the whole point in asking someone for what evidence that they base their opinion on.

My original statement was that open carriers have said that criminals won't OR don't attack an open carrier because of the deterrence factor. That is not true.

First, you said that about posters on this forum, and then when called out on the untruth of that statement, you doubled down, repeated the untruth, and said you weren't going to waste your time looking for quotes that substantiated it enough to make it an unassailable true statement. We all know why that is, but apparently the unavailability of the substantiation I requested of you has escaped your notice.

Then you went and found some random quotes that actually proved the untruth of your original statement.

In the quote above you're taking statements that claim nothing more than the potential/probability/possibility of a deterrent value with OC as equating to the poster(s) saying "deterrent" is synonymous with "won't/don't."

Now you say....

Perhaps I phrased it badly.

No, you made something up and posted it as an unequivocal factual statement that misrepresented every OC'er who has ever posted their rationale for OC'ing on this forum. After being corrected, you doubled down. After doubling down, you told me to "suck it." It's all right here in the thread. The only one confused about what was said and by whom is you. It wasn't "phrased badly," what you said was straight up bovine excrement.

I will ask as politely as I know how.....What is hypocritical about someone stating that they believe there is deterrent value in OC, and then OC'ing in their daily lives to take advantage of whatever deterrent value the practice might provide for them? What is hypocritical in correcting the voluminous mythology that shows up in the Open Carry Discussion forum (IOW - the wrong forum for a CC-only "expert" to spew in) that promulgates the meme that OC'ers will be the first shot, or attacked and have their weapons stolen and/or used against them, when the evidence of such instances actually happening is so minuscule that they are statistically non-existent? For every story that you can find where there's even a remote possibility that the OC'ed weapon was the impetus for whatever crime was attempted against, or actually befell the OC'er, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of CC'ers who were either victimized, or had to fight/shoot/injure or kill their victimizer(s).

None of us have been hypocritical about anything concerning OC. We simply prefer it as a method of carry, practice it daily, and if you'd open your eyes you'd notice that many of us have been members on this forum since shortly after it opened (sometime in '07), and none of us have been shot, attacked, taken out first (or at all), and we also don't make up a bunch of caca about the practice of concealed carry and take it to the CC Discussion forum just to ruffle feathers there with bullchit.

You said something snarky earlier about someone not understanding the English language. Perhaps you can look at the dictionary definition of "hypocrisy" and tell us how any of the regular OC'ers on this forum have been hypocritical at all about the fact that we OC?

You do realize that I'm not here to please you, right? Your views, which I personally find to be extremist, are not the only views. Additionally, there are people on here who disagree with you and think your views are wrong, no matter how much you quote, dissect, and bluster.

It never ceases to amaze me that people get tweaked because I quote every passage of their posts that I think needs or deserves a response. It's not "dissecting," it's answering. It's not "bluster," it's replying directly to what was said.

Whatever, if I didn't already know you're willing to pull stuff out of your ass just to win a point in an internet argument, I'd ask you to show me what of my stated views you find to be "extremist." I'll be willing to bet that anything you could point to to demonstrate that notion is something that I either already have, or easily could, give a citation to the Constitution that would make my "extremist" views nothing more or less nefarious than just a simple adherence and compliance with founding principles of this once-great country. I'd further be willing to bet that you would have a very difficult time doing the same for whatever issue(s) you find me to be on the "extremist" side of.

But I already know you don't play honestly or fairly, so nevermind, I am not asking you to substantiate that which I know you can't.

I respect your conviction, even when I disagree with you. Just because you say it doesn't make it so.

Oh please. You don't respect anything about me, least of all my unmoving conviction(s). For standing on my convictions, you tell me to suck it in one breath, and then tell me you respect them in the next?

Just because you often repeat a lie doesn't mean those in the know will ever believe it to be anything but a lie.

Blues

Bearing Arms Link Removed in the Walmart attack. The attacker never stated why he attacked the victim. The victim is assuming that it was because he was carrying openly. The only important fact to note from that story is that the victim was carrying his Sig Sauer P226 (chambered in .357 Sig) with an empty chamber. He certainly has bigger problems than deciding whether he should be carrying openly or concealed.

Bearing Arms Link Removed in the Walmart attack. The attacker never stated why he attacked the victim. The victim is assuming that it was because he was carrying openly. The only important fact to note from that story is that the victim was carrying his Sig Sauer P226 (chambered in .357 Sig) with an empty chamber. He certainly has bigger problems than deciding whether he should be carrying openly or concealed.

Man, you ain't kiddin'! So his ex-cop dad said he hoped he would now take his advice and start CC'ing. I wonder if Dear ol' Ex-Cop Dad advised him to carry his weapon unloaded? His dad (or a witness, not sure which) described the victim holding the guy at gun-point for some period of time. Did anybody hear him rack the slide?

See what you started SF? You simply posted a story about an idiot and then tried to paint all OC'ers with the same level of idiocy that he operates under. Guess doing any homework on what your citations actually show is a waste of your time too, huh? LOL

Blues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back