Open carry in Texas - does this sound familiar?

NavyLCDR

Panic over open carry in Texas - does this sound familiar?

Private Shooting Range, Texas CHL, Hunter Education Near Flower Mound | Denton County Sports Association - DCSA Blog, Indoor handgun range in DFW metroplex

In conclusion for now as it relates to the 30.06 signage: Currently, in the locations where many of us go on a daily basis, there are just not all that many 30.06 signs. What many of us fear is that if any "Open Carry" legislation happens to get passed and is not very carefully worded in regard to signage (as in NOT tied to the current 30.06 verbiage), it could result in just enough "Man with a Gun" calls to 911 to create an epidemic of wasted police resources, business owners and managers not wanting any more "panic attacks" in their buildings or parking lots and a rash of new 30.06 signs going up at thousands of locations where there are none present today.

Are they really that afraid of the sight of a gun in public in Texas?!? Wow. Feel free to leave comments on their blog....

My personal preference is concealed carry. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
We have many ignorant people in our society that are alarmed at the sight of a gun.
I'd rather avoid the drama. No one knows I'm 'packin' Unless I "HAVE TO" use it.

My personal preference is concealed carry. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
We have many ignorant people in our society that are alarmed at the sight of a gun.
I'd rather avoid the drama. No one knows I'm 'packin' Unless I "HAVE TO" use it.

In Texas that's true...I have run across one person like that in Washington...and he was from Texas. Other than that, no one else in Washington has given me any trouble.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

This has been debated till the end of time, both side have valid points, concealed vs open carry, I prefer open, I feel more comfortable with shirt tucked in and ready access to my weapon, vs pulling up your shirt or opening a jacket, I know its personal preference but I believe open carry will tend to keep you out of trouble more than concealed, because I think a BG, most of them anyways, will think twice about screwing around with a dude carrying a gun.............one thing I have proven to myself anyways is the beggers at a gas pump will leave you alone if you have a gun

In Texas that's true...I have run across one person like that in Washington...and he was from Texas. Other than that, no one else in Washington has given me any trouble.

I've run across 3 people like that over about 5 years in Washington. All three were CPL holders who could not resist telling me that they had their CPLs, they carried their guns concealed, and so should I.

I live in Texas, have been around guns all my life, and have had a CHL ever since they were available. Time was, a pickup always had a rifle hanging in the window, and maybe a shotgun laying on the seat, and nobody thought anything about it. Times(and people) have
changed. Now the weapons would be stolen as soon as the truck was parked at wallyWorld. I would like to have the privilege to carry my pistol on my belt instead of poking me in the groin every time I sit down. The problem is, there are too many folks that would not use discretion with open carry. Some I think might have an "in your face" attitude . I read about scenarios in open carry states where you walk into "StARbux" and guys are sitting around drinking coffee with a 1911 on their hip, and a AK or AR hanging on the chair back behind them. I would rather see concealed carrry laws/regulations/penalties administered with good common sense instead of open carry. If I'm "printin", tell me, and I'll correct.Don't "run me in" for it. I've never had a problem as such, but some have. To be armed is our right. To carry in publ

The problem is, there are too many folks that would not use discretion with open carry. Some I think might have an "in your face" attitude .

By whose standard is "too many"? By whose standard is "not using discretion"? Apparently - yours. So, because an action doesn't meet YOUR standards, then EVERYONE should be regulated to the level of YOUR standards.

I read about scenarios in open carry states where you walk into "StARbux" and guys are sitting around drinking coffee with a 1911 on their hip, and a AK or AR hanging on the chair back behind them.

1. So what? I've seen people with nose rings, a big "guage" earring, a ring in their eyebrow and a chain between all three. I find it disgusting. Because it doesn't meet MY standards, does that mean that it should be regulated so that nobody can look like that legally?

2. How many real cases were there of people being upset in Starbucks? How much of it was media hype? Sure - there are going to be people who "push the envelope" in every situation. I personally believe it is "too much" for a person to carry a back up gun and spare magazines for both guns they are carrying - but a few people think that is appropriate for them. Just because I think they are "pushing the envelope", does that mean that everyone should be regulated to what I feel is appropriate for me?

I would rather see concealed carry laws/regulations/penalties administered with good common sense instead of open carry.

I would rather see both. The problem is, where does "common sense" end and unreasonable restriction of rights begin? One person's common sense is another person's unreasonable control.

To be armed is our right. To carry in publ

I would love to see the end to that sentence....

I would like to have the privilege to carry my pistol on my belt instead of poking me in the groin every time I sit down.
I prefer my right to carry. In almost all states the right is open carry, the privilege is concealed carry.

...where you walk into "StARbux" and guys are sitting around drinking coffee with a 1911 on their hip, and a AK or AR hanging on the chair back behind them.
And what happened? Putting a pejorative spin on it isn't helping your argument. What happened? What bad thing happened when people did that? Was anyone injured or killed? Was firearms carry outlawed?

If I'm "printin", tell me, and I'll correct.
Why should I tell you? I don't care one whit.

To be armed is our right. To carry in publ
As mentioned, you stated above that you prefer to abandon your right in exchange for a privilege granted by the state.

And what happened? Putting a prerogative spin on it isn't helping your argument. What happened? What bad thing happened when people did that? Was anyone injured or killed? Was firearms carry outlawed?

Well, Starbucks did publicly announce that they would prefer if customers did not :triniti:carry guns in their stores, but that they would not deny service to those who did nor would they post any signs at their stores.

Have a place in AZ open carry no problem, CC in Texas because of law, officers in AZ are all very familiar with the open carry law and have never had an issue there.

I live in Texas, have been around guns all my life, and have had a CHL ever since they were available. Time was, a pickup always had a rifle hanging in the window, and maybe a shotgun laying on the seat, and nobody thought anything about it. Times(and people) have
changed. Now the weapons would be stolen as soon as the truck was parked at wallyWorld. I would like to have the privilege to carry my pistol on my belt instead of poking me in the groin every time I sit down. The problem is, there are too many folks that would not use discretion with open carry. Some I think might have an "in your face" attitude . I read about scenarios in open carry states where you walk into "StARbux" and guys are sitting around drinking coffee with a 1911 on their hip, and a AK or AR hanging on the chair back behind them. I would rather see concealed carrry laws/regulations/penalties administered with good common sense instead of open carry. If I'm "printin", tell me, and I'll correct.Don't "run me in" for it. I've never had a problem as such, but some have. To be armed is our right. To carry in publ
Please think about the part of your post I put in bold. Do you understand that if you have the right to do something then you do not have to ask the government for permission to do it? You do understand that a concealed carry "permit" IS the government giving you permission... and that without that permission you will be arrested if you exercise your right to be armed by carrying a gun in a concealed manner?

Bottom line... if you, or anyone, thinks a carry "permit" is the "right" to bear arms then there is a horrible misunderstanding about what a right is... and what a permitted privilege that is controlled by the government is. The key lies in understanding what it means to have to ask for "permission".

I cannot understand why so many people are willing to allow their right to bear arms be controlled by the government through a permit system yet would balk if the right to free speech were also under the same kind of permit system. Imagine having to meet a set of criteria like that required for a concealed carry permit to be allowed to speak your opinion. Or needing a permit to exercise the freedom of religion when choosing a faith and a church. Or maybe we should have a government issued permit in order to be able to vote.............

Remember... when the government is in control of who is given permission and is issued a permit .... the government is also in control of who IS NOT given permission and who IS NOT issued a permit.

Think it through.... if one must get governmental permission then it isn't a right but is a privilege controlled by the whim of whoever is in power in the government.

Please think about the part of your post I put in bold. Do you understand that if you have the right to do something then you do not have to ask the government for permission to do it? You do understand that a concealed carry "permit" IS the government giving you permission... and that without that permission you will be arrested if you exercise your right to be armed by carrying a gun in a concealed manner?

And for all the hoopla about what a great 2A state TX is, this particular poster would likewise get arrested for open carrying a handgun. It's a weird idiosyncrasy about TX's carry laws, that one can carry a long gun openly, but not a handgun. Then again, carrying a long gun can get pretty sketchy if you are contacted by the wrong cop. There's a ton of videos to prove that, and at least one that has become a national news story.

Blues

Link Removed

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Well, Starbucks did publicly announce that they would prefer if customers did not :triniti:carry guns in their stores, but that they would not deny service to those who did nor would they post any signs at their stores.

They have done what a lot of Americans have done. Maintained an absolutely positive stance of "I dunno".

A couple questions about the bolded part above:

1. This is based on what, exactly? Since you CC, by your own admission, how do you know that people "are alarmed at the sight of a gun"?

2. So what if people are "alarmed at the sight of a gun"? I'm supposed to give up my right to carry because someone might be "alarmed". Since when did the 2nd amendment get changed to: "... shall not be infringed, unless some metrosexual pansy gets alarmed"....???

3. If you're so enamored with CC, how are you helping our 2nd amendment rights since no one knows your carrying? The only way to get people over from being "alarmed" is, yep you guessed it, is to open carry.

FTG-05
You and I have allowed our culture to be stolen from us. Pretending that winning the culture back doesn’t matter and that the mere exercise of flagging rights will fix things is myopic idiocy. No wonder you fail to regain what you once had.
The problem we face has nothing to do with guns or our God-given rights to keep and bear them. The problem is the lost culture, the lost morality, the death of the core that once thrived. Until that culture, morality, and core is regained, nothing you do means anything.
read More:Link Removed

"Life is hard, being stupid makes it harder." J.W.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back