Open carry confrontations

vernsimpson

I have been reading posts from people who legally open carry and get into a confrontation with businesses. I would compare them to a woman whose attire leaves little to nothing to the imagination and then complains about the “unwanted” attention. It is my opinion that both are saying, “Hey, look at me!”
Businesses are places where businesspeople earn a living for themselves and their families. The businessperson may be a gun rights advocate, but must protect his business and his livelihood when his customers object or are uncomfortable knowing a firearm is in their midst. How would you feel if someone threatened your families’ livelihood? I know I would not be happy about it.
I do not ever plan on OC. It has not happened as yet, but if any business objects to my CC I will respect their right to make a living. I will not be belligerent, confrontational or vocal about it. If they are polite I will just leave. But if they are in my face, I will politely inform them that I am sorry but I will take my business elsewhere.
This part may step on some toes but I do not know how to say it other than being blunt. Anyone, while standing up for their gun rights, who would be confrontational, belligerent and loudly vocal may not have the proper temperament to carry a firearm. I would agree that we should always stand up for our gun rights. But I do not think the way to do it is to make a scene in public. The only thing that is proven that way is that there are some people who should not have a firearm. The Left is trying to make hay out of the Trayvon Martin case. We do not need a couple of hotheads pouring gasoline onto the fire.

I agree for the most part. Outside of work (I am a security guard who openly carries while on the job) I only carry concealed, and carrying concealed has never resulted in any of the confrontations that open carriers routinely report. Also, no one is forcing you to patronize a particular business; either respect its rules, carry concealed, or go elsewhere if you don't agree with its policies.

I agree for the most part. Outside of work (I am a security guard who openly carries while on the job) I only carry concealed, and carrying concealed has never resulted in any of the confrontations that open carriers routinely report. Also, no one is forcing you to patronize a particular business; either respect its rules, carry concealed, or go elsewhere if you don't agree with its policies.

Carrying concealed into an establishment that has a no gun sign is not respecting the rules. In reality it's flat out disrespectful.

For every open carrier "routinely" getting into these situations, there's 1000 concealed carriers using their guns in self defense against an attack. I'd rather take the rare occurrence of being asked to leave, than to be chosen as a victim.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on it even though it does not come close to the reality of my experience. Attitude determines outcome.

I have been reading posts from people who legally open carry and get into a confrontation with businesses. I would compare them to a woman whose attire leaves little to nothing to the imagination and then complains about the “unwanted” attention. It is my opinion that both are saying, “Hey, look at me!”
Businesses are places where businesspeople earn a living for themselves and their families. The businessperson may be a gun rights advocate, but must protect his business and his livelihood when his customers object or are uncomfortable knowing a firearm is in their midst. How would you feel if someone threatened your families’ livelihood? I know I would not be happy about it.
I do not ever plan on OC. It has not happened as yet, but if any business objects to my CC I will respect their right to make a living. I will not be belligerent, confrontational or vocal about it. If they are polite I will just leave. But if they are in my face, I will politely inform them that I am sorry but I will take my business elsewhere.
This part may step on some toes but I do not know how to say it other than being blunt. Anyone, while standing up for their gun rights, who would be confrontational, belligerent and loudly vocal may not have the proper temperament to carry a firearm. I would agree that we should always stand up for our gun rights. But I do not think the way to do it is to make a scene in public. The only thing that is proven that way is that there are some people who should not have a firearm. The Left is trying to make hay out of the Trayvon Martin case. We do not need a couple of hotheads pouring gasoline onto the fire.

Here in Florida, open carry is not allowed under Chapter 790.053 of the Florida Statutes. However, I don't know that I would carry openly even if it were allowed. What would be the benefit to me or anyone else? I've carried concealed for 12 years now with no drama. Why would I want to invite drama into my life by carrying openly even if it were allowed?

Great post, Vern.

Open carry when you are in a civilian position, and out of uniform, is kind of stupid anyway, I think. Because You can create a justifiable panic among the consumers of the establishment You are in just with the sight of a gun in public. especially with all the media coverage of the mass shootings that have happened lately. plus you give any robber, or unknowing police officer, a FIRST target. I would reccomend to always cc to avoid panicking the public, and removing Your element of surprise in a defensive situation.

How does someone having an opinion about not open carrying and advocating kind and courteous behavior equate to "Not having balls"?
Because that would be denigrating the gratification self-proclaimed hard-asses get from demonstrating their ballsiness with bad behavior backed up by an ersatz phallus displayed on their hip for all to see.

Open carry when you are in a civilian position, and out of uniform, is kind of stupid anyway, I think. Because You can create a justifiable panic among the consumers of the establishment You are in just with the sight of a gun in public. especially with all the media coverage of the mass shootings that have happened lately. plus you give any robber, or unknowing police officer, a FIRST target. I would reccomend to always cc to avoid panicking the public, and removing Your element of surprise in a defensive situation.
So you think people doing something LEGAL deserve to be harassed because there are some in society who fear firearms? By this logic you also think it is ok to call the police and have the group of black guys walking towards you on a public street should also be stopped and harassed because someone had a irrational fear of them.

Totally agree. I know they're trying to make a statement, but I think they're going about it all wrong. There was an incident where some guys thought it was a good idea to open carry at a library and walked into the children's book area. Of course the police were called and it became a huge problem. Now there's a ban on carrying in libraries. So much for that smart move.

Totally agree. I know they're trying to make a statement, but I think they're going about it all wrong. There was an incident where some guys thought it was a good idea to open carry at a library and walked into the children's book area. Of course the police were called and it became a huge problem. Now there's a ban on carrying in libraries. So much for that smart move.

Hah! They have been trying to get that passed in VA for years. The VCDL just had a demonstration down at the Richmond Public Library because of an attempt by the library to ban firearms, when such law is preempted by the state. At least in this regard the VA government is still somewhat intelligent.

More intolerance from anti-open carriers. I hear the same arguments from the Brady crowd about any guns. This is the OPEN CARRY thread of this forum, do not come in here if your only intentions to insult other gun enthusiasts. I opened carried into the local Bob Evans the other night. My daughter and her husband also open carried and you know what? Nobody in the restaurant cared from what I could tell. I understand a few things. I understand the argument about the element of surprise when carrying concealed. I understand about the deterrent factor when open carrying. I understand that the general public needs to see decent, upstanding citizens carrying firearms so that they can learn not to be afraid of guns in general. I understand the "first target" myth is a bunch of crap.

The only place that leads to is a tyranny by the thinnest skinned and most easily offended. If the sheeple are offended by me exercising my rights, they need to grow a pair, and/or keep their women folk off the streets, where they might see something that offends their delicate sensibilities.

Grow some balls please.

How does someone having an opinion about not open carrying and advocating kind and courteous behavior equate to "Not having balls"?

If I thought all of you adamant concealed carriers could open your mind to an explanation I would of done so in my first response, God knows how many times we open carriers have logically, factually, and respectfully brought up our position upon deaf ears (or blind eyes in the case of online forums). I grew tired of such things and felt like being "blunt" for a change.

I've carried openly for about seven years now. No confrontations, no problem going into the grocery store, library, courthouse, sheriff's office, or anywhere but the stupid post office... I just wouldn't go anywhere my gun is unwelcome.

I don't NEED to hide my gun, and the few people who even remark on it have been happy to learn that it is perfectly "legal" to carry openly... and I'm careful to tell them that I carry because I am a self owner and the only one responsible for my safety.

That is simply part of where I live and the people around me and I recognize that it isn't this way everywhere. I do think that the more people see others carrying openly, going about their peaceful business with a smile on their face and a helping hand ready to open a door, etc... fewer and fewer will be unnecessarily confused or frightened by the sight of a mere inanimate tool on our belts.

All of the hairy old myths and phobias about open carry will continue to be used against us as long as some people cling to them, whether from the Bradys or our own ranks. I can accept your method of carry... just wonder why you are so afraid of mine.

There might indeed be some people that OC looking for a confrontation but from interaction with the guys on here I can tell you that most do not. Most simply want to exercise a right that they happen to have in their location, no more no less. And if it's lawful in your location you should be able to do it. Otherwise you might as well write said right off.

Personally I do not OC, not because I could not where I am at and not because of the often cited but rarely true cases of guns grabs or other craziness but simply because I am a quiet and nonconfrontational person and do not want to make any public statements or get into discussions. I admit that doesn't further the cause of OC but I am just not ready for that yet.

It's sad to see more gun owners against our right to carry a firearm. I dont understand you anti's. This isn't the Brady Campaign forum

As a ember of the Brady Campaign You have no business carrying a firearm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back