Open carrier robbed of pistol

Warbirds

I'm just going to leave this here.

GRESHAM, Ore. (KOIN 6) — A man practicing his open carry right was robbed of the gun he was openly carrying.
William Coleman III was robbed of his Walter- brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it — and flashed his own weapon as persuasion.

Follow the link for the rest of the story.

Link Removed

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

But that wasn't supposed to happen! The BG was supposed to be scared off by the sight of an open carried weapon. Gotta rethink this situation!

I've been on this forum since the same day it opened in 2007. Assuming the story is reported accurately (which is somewhat of a stretch in itself), I can honestly say that this is the first documented case like this that I recall having ever seen reported here.

One case. Big whoop. I won't be rethinking any of my tactics based off of this story. People who would are just looking for justification for being against OC even though they themselves don't practice it.

Blues

Big deal. It was bound to happen eventually. But I'm sure many folks (CC elitists?) will take this one incident out of hundreds of thousands of hours of folks open carrying over the past few decades in just Arizona alone and blow it up into a fear based "I told you so" sensationalized anti open carry campaign that will rival (and have the same anti rights agenda as) MDA's anti gun campaign.

Sometimes I have difficulty figuring out who Bloomberg's anti gun minions are since some of them hide behind the rhetoric of "I support the right to bear arms BUT........."

I've been on this forum since the same day it opened in 2007. Assuming the story is reported accurately (which is somewhat of a stretch in itself), I can honestly say that this is the first documented case like this that I recall having ever seen reported here.

One case. Big whoop. I won't be rethinking any of my tactics based off of this story. People who would are just looking for justification for being against OC even though they themselves don't practice it.

Blues

Well, I DO open carry yet I can see the humor in the situation, especially after reading all the controversy on here. Wasn't looking for an excuse to be against open carry but everybody should look for a little levity rather than be so dour.

Link Removed

Link Removed

I thought open carriers were supposed to get shot first, no questions asked, bullet to the face immediately? So much for the element of surprise...

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Errr, 21 year old, out late. Allowed someone to get close enough to ask for a cig. Lots a funny things here. BUT, I still won't OC or CC in Watts or South CHI town at O-dark thirty EVER. But that's just me. Hell, not even in the town I live in.

This event speaks much more to mindset than to the positives/negatives for either open carry or concealed carry. Based on the limited information from the news story, it would seem this young man's awareness (while carrying!!!!) was somewhere near condition white. If you act like a juicy grape waiting to be picked, well, you'll be picked!

With a newly purchased pistol.... is there any confirmation that it was even loaded or was a young man just carrying his newest toy to show it off?

I imagine we'll figure out how to get peace in the Mideast before everyone at usacarry agrees on whether OC or CC is better... but imo being aware of your surroundings is always going to be most important, regardless of whether you personally choose OC or CC.

Or maybe he lied to get attention or has plans to use it in a crime and wants to create evidence that he no longer possessed it.

But if true it is ironic. Like the picture of tea party protesters using a public park for a rally against government spending.

I don't open carry, but I fully support anyone that does. It's just not for me. What I really hate is that the guy lost his brand new gun. That's sad.
But that being said, what was he doing carrying a gun that in all likelihood he had never even shot, let alone practiced with?
My current EDC is the newest gun I have. I just bought it about 3 weeks ago. However it is also the one that I have shot the most and is the most comfortable to shoot.

But that wasn't supposed to happen! The BG was supposed to be scared off by the sight of an open carried weapon. Gotta rethink this situation!

There are no guarantees in life. I don't expect guarantees. But there is a much smaller percentage of people who open carry, based on news stories, who have to use their guns to defend themselves with. I will play the odds that are in my favor and open carry knowing that the odds are more favorable a bad guy will just select an easier target, without expecting any guarantees. I typically don't open carry in public at 2:00am either, though.

Or maybe he lied to get attention or has plans to use it in a crime and wants to create evidence that he no longer possessed it.

But if true it is ironic. Like the picture of tea party protesters using a public park for a rally against government spending.
And railing against corporate America as they take a "selfie" on their iphone.

Well, I DO open carry yet I can see the humor in the situation, especially after reading all the controversy on here. Wasn't looking for an excuse to be against open carry but everybody should look for a little levity rather than be so dour.

Sorry. I didn't get the levity, and am not aware that I "should" look for levity in serious subjects. Usually a smiley face or "LOL" or something would preclude anyone taking seriously what you intended as satire or a joke. It wasn't apparent to me that you intended it that way, but I'm glad to know you did.

Otherwise, dour times call for dour responses.
_shrug__or__dunno__by_crula.gif

Blues

Is it just me, or does there seem to be way too much emphasis placed on open carry in the news headlines?
Squashing open carry makes it easier to squash concealed carry which makes it easier to squash gun ownership which makes it easier to squash any possibility of "we the people" getting the idea they are, or at least should be, in control.

Control the media and you control the message. Control the message and you control the masses.

Can't have the unwashed masses get all uppity and think they can carry guns without the blessing of the elite now can we?

Allow me to draw attention to my sig line below:

I strictly conceal carry...mostly on the job. I am self employed and I have to go into different neighborhoods all day long. I don't want to draw attention to myself. I can see how someone open carrying can present a great target for a BG if the BG gets the jump on him. I don't flash large wads of cash either. I make sure I look like the guy you wouldn't waste your time on trying to rob me of anything.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back