Open Carried at the supermarket, is that weird?

Please cite where this is the case.

Why even ask? Nobody's been able to provide an example yet. People are still going to believe the theory anyway, though.

That's about the same time it became taboo to breastfeed in public. I realy don't see OC or public breastfeeding to be that weird.

Is there a badge for that?

Id say yes to open carry is just a deterrent, kinda like a warning. If a criminal happens to see your weapon then he knows you have it and is more likely to proceed in two ways: #1. Leave you alone. #2. attack in a stealthy mode as to get the jump on you. I live in the Detroit area and to have a gun here is like wearing a gold neckless unfortunately. (if is worn in a way it can be seen) Here instead of being afraid they will be more likely to try and rob you for your pistol. Concealed weapons are a better way to have the upper tactical advantage (just my thoughts) not to mention it takes you out of the lime light and makes you an everyday person. People that have a pistol hanging out become a stand out of the crowd issue. Not to mention some people are afraid of guns. I personally don't want to scare anyone but I do like the idea of being able to protect my self if need be.

OK, Let's examine this whole breastfeeding badge concept.

Is the woman in question supposed to?

A- Keep the badge pinned on her shirt, meaning that in will invariably be taken off to breastfeed. Thus defeating the purpose.
B- Use one of those Belt-clip CCW Badge holder thingies and wear the breastfeeding badge in a location where the baby could inadvertantly conceal the badge.
C- Use one of those neck-chain CCW Badge holder thingies and wear the badge hanging around her neck. I see this option as problematic because the baby could get caught in the neck chain and you might end up throwing out the baby with the badge holder. :angry:
D- Use a version of the CCW sash that was described on another thread. This option would unfortunately cover up one breast, thus reducing the options for the mother and baby. This is especially problematic for the mothers of twins (or other multiple births), polygamists, or women with the last name Duggar as it removes the option of breast feeding two babies at the same time. :angry:
E- Not worry about a stinkin badge, and thus potentially run afoul with the tactical breastfeeding cops, AKA sheepdogs. :fie:

This is such a tuff delemma.

She has to wear it on her "holsters" so that, when she brandishes, the badge is still visible.

I was grocery shopping with my wife once, and always try to keep a high level of awareness of my surroundings. In the vegetable area, where there are sundry small islands of produce, and many paths to anywhere else, I noticed someone bug-eyewing my piece. I took a few steps to make it less visible. So did he, to a better vantage point. After 2-3 of these chess moves, he had approached as near as I wanted him to get. I turned weak side to and said, what are you doing?
He said he was interested in my Glock, and wanted to know what barrel was on it. (I had a stainless bbl with a 2 port comp on it)
I told him it'd be better if he announced his interest, rather than make me go condition orange to find out.
He apologized for the intrusion. I carried the conversation by telling him about how the Glock was modded. As we parted he agreed it'd be best not to "stalk" an OCer.

I live on the tiny island of Guam,I have a license to carry in a non concealed status,and my fiancée and I went to a local supermarket with me OC. She said I got a couple of looks but other than that nobody was bothered.Except for the rent a cop pulling security there,young guy was pretty nervous.

He's nervous cause he's not well-trained enough to approach and greet and find out the demeanor of the OCer. If he did that, he'd soon welcome those who could come to his aid. Sheeple- proof that Darwin was WRONG

I always carry herr glock, and I was only wearing a fleece, so I figured I might as well let it hang out there because I probably wasn't going to fool anyone.

Anyways, that's the first time I did that and this was a confession. Idk if I got any weird looks.

Thats not wierd at all ... You never know when a cantalope may go ballistic on you! Why do you think all the Youtube "gun reviews" shoot at melons? Think about it!

I do not see any reason why I should open carry...I like the element of surprise when the occasion calls for it. I am proud of my guns and paranoid about where I go when I go out but open carry? Naaaaahhhhhhhhhh......'Wouldn't blink an eye when I see someone OC'ing though...

Wow thats some stuff, while advocating haveing enough ammo to do the job at hand, personaly I prefer to carry a second gun rather than extra mags

I OC'd in Carl's Jr on the way to Vegas last year. The kid behind the register must of thought I was going to rob the place... he looked REALLY nervous.

I laughed to myself.

Is it really an advantage?

It is in California. You cannot OC here with a loaded magazine in your weapon. You can carry a loaded magazine separately, which means having to insert magazine and chamber the round if needed. With a concealed carry license here, you can have a round chambered and a full magazine in your pistol, or a loaded revolver. Of course, it's nearly impossible to get a ccw in most of California's population centers. Plus - it looks like oc will soon be banned here all together.

I just can't feel right about it somehow. Plus I like the advantage of nobody knowing.
I agree, I believe that carying concealed gives you a slight advantage in a bad situation. Im not saying there is anything wrong with open carry if thats what you prefer, but a bad guy might target you first because he can see you have a gun.

I agree, I believe that carying concealed gives you a slight advantage in a bad situation. Im not saying there is anything wrong with open carry if thats what you prefer, but a bad guy might target you first because he can see you have a gun.
Once again someone saying an OC'er will be targeted with no proof AGAIN!

Once again someone saying an OC'er will be targeted with no proof AGAIN!

Now come on... be fair. Ghost Rider said, "but a bad guy MIGHT target you first because he can see you have a gun."

Ghost Rider did not say "will", he (she?) said "might". Which is a true statement. Just because it has never happened in the past more than once in about every 10 years does not mean that it "might" not happen in the future.

You need to re-read what i wrote. I said the bad guy MIGHT target you first if he sees that you have a gun. I never said an OC`er would be targeted.

While I did defend your statement... I must say that the bad guy MIGHT target me first if he doesn't see that I have a gun.... so I kinda wonder about the relevence of the statement to the discussion.

I always carry herr glock, and I was only wearing a fleece, so I figured I might as well let it hang out there because I probably wasn't going to fool anyone.

Anyways, that's the first time I did that and this was a confession. Idk if I got any weird looks.

It's only wierd if you went into the grocery store ONLY wearing a fleece (that would really be "letting it hang out there.") :biggrin:

OC or CC, boxers or briefs, filter or non filter, straight up or on the rocks, sounds like personal preference. I like, Have gun will travel, visiable or not, stand ready to defend, let the BG beware,for every gun you see, there could be a dozen you don't. The thing you got to ask yourself is, do I feel lucky? Well,,,do ya punk?

While I did defend your statement... I must say that the bad guy MIGHT target me first if he doesn't see that I have a gun.... so I kinda wonder about the relevence of the statement to the discussion.

A bad guy could target any one of us wether we have a gun or not, but if a bad guy sees another person with a gun he MIGHT be more inclined to target that person first to eliminate the threat to him. Im not saying it would happen, but its a real posibility.

A bad guy could target any one of us wether we have a gun or not, but if a bad guy sees another person with a gun he MIGHT be more inclined to target that person first to eliminate the threat to him. Im not saying it would happen, but its a real posibility.

And there is an equal chance they would be checking the place out and see the gun and go one block down the street to hit the next convenience with no visible gun in it or wait two minutes for the guy with the gun to leave. I'll place my bets on deterrence over surprise.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back