Ohio Shooting

NCIC105

Prayers to the family members and victims....

Brady Group must be so happy!

Brady Group must be so happy!

Why would they be happy?

Their Federal School Zone 1000' law did not work.
Their Ohio State Law prohibiting possession of guns on school grounds did not work.
Their Ohio State Law prohibiting the discharge of a gun on school grounds did not work.
Their Ohio State Law prohibiting furnishing a minor with a handgun did not work.
If the shooter was under the age of 18, their Federal law prohibition of minors possessing handguns and/or handgun ammunition did not work.
If the shooter concealed the handgun on the way/in the school, their prohibition of concealing the gun without a license did not work.
If the shooter had magazines that were loaded in the vehicle with the gun on the way to school, their Ohio statute prohibiting that did not work.

None of their laws/efforts to keep this from happening worked at all.

What would have the greatest chance of effectively stopping an attack such as this? A law abiding citizen being allowed to lawfully possess and have readily available for immediate use the means to protect themselves with.

Why would they be happy?

Their Ohio State Law prohibiting possession of guns on school grounds did not work.
Their Ohio State Law prohibiting the discharge of a gun on school grounds did not work.
Their Ohio State Law prohibiting furnishing a minor with a handgun did not work.
If the shooter was under the age of 18, their Federal law prohibition of minors possessing handguns and/or handgun ammunition did not work.
If the shooter concealed the handgun on the way/in the school, their prohibition of concealing the gun without a license did not work.
If the shooter had magazines that were loaded in the vehicle with the gun on the way to school, their Ohio statute prohibiting that did not work.

What would have the greatest chance of effectively stopping an attack such as this? A law abiding citizen being allowed to lawfully possess and have readily available for immediate use the means to protect themselves with.

But ya know they will spin it so the sheep will follow....Ban handguns!

I wish all states allowed teachers as well as citizens to carry in-school zones...But I don't see that happening!

Why would they be happy?

Laws against bank robbery don't work either. In fact, we have a lot more bank robberies than we have school shootings, so we might as well repeal the laws against bank robberies because they clearly aren't working.

Laws against bank robbery don't work either. In fact, we have a lot more bank robberies than we have school shootings, so we might as well repeal the laws against bank robberies because they clearly aren't working.

I thought (hoped) you were ignoring me.

Let's punish the criminals for criminal acts, instead of regulating possession of inanimate objects. How's that for a novel concept, eh? It makes perfect sense to make it illegal to rob a bank and attach a prison sentence to it. Heck, even throw in a sentence booster for using a handgun to commit a bank robbery! It makes no sense to prohibit the possession of a firearm for self-defense in a bank. Laws against bank robbery do not affect your everyday, law abiding citizen. Laws prohibiting the possession of a firearm for self-defense purposes affect ONLY the law abiding citizen and keep them from being able to defend themselves against criminals.

It makes perfect sense to make it illegal to shoot innocent persons, anywhere. Let's even throw in a sentence booster if those innocent people are shot in a school! It makes no sense to prohibit the possession of a firearm by an adult for self-defense in a school, and especially to make it a violation of Federal law to possess a firearm for self-defense in public within 1000' of school property.

Just like gun control laws, you make no sense, nogods. But most of us already knew that.

The level of stupidity in your post is what should be outlawed.

Since laws against bank robberies don't work and since we continue to have bank robberies, then the only logical (according to gun control advocates) thing to do is to outlaw all banks.

However, since banks contain money and the bank robbers are trying to get the money in the banks, in addition to outlawing all banks we should also outlaw all money (of any type).

As many times as I go in and out of a public school (where my wife works) it is one of the places I want my gun on me the most, and obviously cannot. The end of a school shooting obviously yields a catastrophic result, not unlike the AZ shooting where Rep. Giffords was shot in the head and there was not anyone to immediately able to dispatch the threat...which allowed the shooter to keep shooting. School Resource Officers are a good thing but cost money in school systems that are already having problems with their budgets in this economic climate. It's a damn shame that we deal with this in America. I had thought that right after Columbine it was the once in a century type shooting and wouldn't really happen again. **Sigh**

Since laws against bank robberies don't work and since we continue to have bank robberies, then the only logical (according to gun control advocates) thing to do is to outlaw all banks.

However, since banks contain money and the bank robbers are trying to get the money in the banks, in addition to outlawing all banks we should also outlaw all money (of any type).

Do you write the materials for the Brady Campaign? :sarcastic:

on a positive note, I have been reading the public comments on the shooting article in Yahoo. I have been pleased to be reading mostly comments from people about how bad bullying is and what we should do about it. I didn't read all of the posts but none were advocating stronger gun laws. I supported the thread by posting a positive comment that plenty of gun laws existed that would have prevented this tragedy if the shooter had been in his right mind and following laws. Since he wasn't and didn't it is good that posters are focusing on the bullying as the root cause to this shooting and not the "gun."

As another aside "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has eight agents on their way to the scene and they are expected to trace the firearm." Wow, it takes 8 of them!!!!!

here is the link if anyone cares:
Link Removed

mspt

This wasn't about a bank robbery. It was about a school shooting, and Ohio doesn't have a school shooting law, so nobody has advocated repealing one.

This wasn't about a bank robbery. It was about a school shooting, and Ohio doesn't have a school shooting law

Yes, Ohio does.

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.161 Improperly discharging firearm at or into a habitation, in a school safety zone or with intent to cause harm or panic to persons in a school building or at a school function.

2923.161 Improperly discharging firearm at or into a habitation, in a school safety zone or with intent to cause harm or panic to persons in a school building or at a school function.
(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall knowingly do any of the following:

(1) Discharge a firearm at or into an occupied structure that is a permanent or temporary habitation of any individual;

(2) Discharge a firearm at, in, or into a school safety zone;

(3) Discharge a firearm within one thousand feet of any school building or of the boundaries of any school premises, with the intent to do any of the following:

(a) Cause physical harm to another who is in the school, in the school building, or at a function or activity associated with the school;

(b) Cause panic or fear of physical harm to another who is in the school, in the school building, or at a function or activity associated with the school;

(c) Cause the evacuation of the school, the school building, or a function or activity associated with the school.

(B) This section does not apply to any officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or to any law enforcement officer, who discharges the firearm while acting within the scope of the officer’s, agent’s, or employee’s duties.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly discharging a firearm at or into a habitation, in a school safety zone, or with the intent to cause harm or panic to persons in a school, in a school building, or at a school function or the evacuation of a school function, a felony of the second degree.

(D) As used in this section, “occupied structure” has the same meaning as in section 2909.01 of the Revised Code.

nobody has advocated repealing one.

That part would be correct.

Yes, Ohio does.

2923.161 Improperly discharging a firearm at or into a habitation, in a school safety zone or with intent to cause harm or panic to persons in a school building or at a school function.
(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall knowingly do any of the following:
That's improperly discharging a firearm. It's no more analogous to killing kids in school than a two year old riding a tricycle is analogous to driving without a license.

The point is that nogods was trying to marginalize your comments by trying to make an analogy with bank robbery laws and the repeal of said laws. His analogy failed and your points still stand.

We have all the laws we need, we just do not enforce them. When someone is caught with a smoking gun, they should be hauled to court, tried and executed in the same day. Now we will have to watch as they try to put the blame on someone or something else. As far as the insanity plea, you put the killer in the electric chair, explain to them they did a very bad thing and might not understand, but take our word for it you need to die now, then pull the switch. That Arizona shooter should be dead by now. It is crazy that the gun grabbers want to use the Ohio shooting as evidence to ban guns, but when someones kills someone they are the first to defend the killer, and trample the victims.

The point is that nogods was trying to marginalize your comments by trying to make an analogy with bank robbery laws and the repeal of said laws. His analogy failed and your points still stand.

Ok. I owe you an apology, then. I think we are on the same page.

The Ohio shooter broke a multitude of laws, the majority (not severity, majority in numbers) of which involved the obtaining, possession, and carrying of a firearm. Those laws do nothing to prevent crime or prevent criminals from committing criminal acts or prevents them from using a gun to commit the criminal act with. All those laws do is create hurdles or make it impossible for law abiding citizens to defend themselves against the criminals who aren't going to give a rat's butt about those laws. It should be enough to make the criminal act illegal...not prohibit the inanimate object.

That being said, the statute against discharging a firearm in a school would make a criminal act illegal - I'm all for that - so long as self-defense is an affirmative defense to the statute, because that statute will in no way hinder a person from possessing a firearm for self-defense.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back