Notify LEO of carry

budone1967

I have looked in numerous places and can't find it anywhere, do you have to notify LEO's in Alabama during a trafic stop that you are cfarrying? I am from Georgia and here we are not required to notify. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

Notify LEO of Carry

I just talked to the Alabama State Trooper Office and was told that you DO have to notify the LEO when you are stopped.

As you may or may not have found out by now, DO NOT ASK LEOs ABOUT GUN LAWS! They don't know and they don't have the time to look them up. There is no law in AL requiring you to notify any LEO that you are armed. HOWEVER, it is considered a common courtesy to let a LEO know you are armed. The LEO will more likely treat you better if you tell them beforehand than for them to find out later you are armed and didn't tell them. For more info on AL gun laws, go to Welcome To Alabama Open Carry!.

Handgun Laws.us

Here is a site which is kept up to date. Link Removed

Just click on the state in question, look top right of the state specific page for your answer. (Must Inform Officer: NO)

Updates to this Page is always at the bottom along with what was changed.

1/12/11 – Error on map fixed. NV does not honor AL.

Lots of great links to actual laws and state websites. Page also has common questions explained through out the page. Best I've found so far.

Chap

I just talked to the Alabama State Trooper Office and was told that you DO have to notify the LEO when you are stopped.

I bet they'd tell you, you do have to notify the officer if you have weed in the car too

Here is a site which is kept up to date. Link Removed

Just click on the state in question, look top right of the state specific page for your answer. (Must Inform Officer: NO)

Updates to this Page is always at the bottom along with what was changed.

1/12/11 – Error on map fixed. NV does not honor AL.

Lots of great links to actual laws and state websites. Page also has common questions explained through out the page. Best I've found so far.

Chap

Chap, if you keep that site up to date or know who does, I believe that page 4 contains an error regarding AL WMA:

WMA’s: NO Admin Code 220-2 (the link didn't work for me).

Here is the WMA map for the Black Warrior WMA in NW Alabama. Look on the back and all the way down to the bottom and you can read this:

"29. Nothing in this regulation prohibits or requires a wildlife permit for the possession of a handguns by lawfully licensed person for personal protection, provided the handguns are not...."

Note that unlike the other 28 unlawful items, #29 is all underlined; in short, they wanted to make clear that carrying a handgun is legal in the BW WMA. I haven't looked at the other WMA regulations so don't know if they're the same or different. I'll see if I can look later today. Here's the BW WMA map with regulations: Link Removed

Thanks,

While there is no requirement to notify under the code, sheriffs who issue can set additional regulations/requirements for the permits they issue. A sheriff could make that a requirement. I would suggest providing a copy of your permit and license to an officer together during any interaction with LEOs and notifying them regardless of the requirement. It's safer for everyone to be proactive.

While there is no requirement to notify under the code, sheriffs who issue can set additional regulations/requirements for the permits they issue. A sheriff could make that a requirement. I would suggest providing a copy of your permit and license to an officer together during any interaction with LEOs and notifying them regardless of the requirement. It's safer for everyone to be proactive.

When I took the UT class back in March, the instructor recommended just the opposite: don't say anything unless a) you're asked about it or b) asked to step out of the vehicle.

To me, the decision is pretty simple: "Maybe" make a LEO feel more comfortable vs. threatened with a summary execution (ala Harless). No thanks, I'll start worrying about making LEOs "comfortable" when they start taking down the thin blue line. Thus far, I'm not impressed.

My .02.

I am not a LEO but dealing with them regularly and having friends and family who are I can say unequivocally that if you wait until you're out of the car and the cop finds the pistol and you haven't notified them, you WILL have problems and will probably end up prone on the ground with a knee in your back while the cop searches you. If you tell about the gun and ccw permit as soon as you're out of the car but before the pat down you still may be fine. My advice though is better advice than given in the Utah class. If you notify them during your first interaction there are no surprises for anyone. In interactions with LEOs the fewer surprises the safer it is for all concerned. Several students have reported to me and I've seen the same from personal experience that officers will give speeding warnings more regularly than tickets as they view ccw holders as more law abiding generally than the ordinary citizen on the street.

Because it's completely ok for officers to treat two legally armed citizens differently based on officer opinion. *SARCASM* for those that might get confused

In Oregon and Washington there is no notification law, it would be assault and battery for an officer to attack me for not breaking a law. The post above me reminds me of this post, "Great way to get yourself forcibly removed from your vehicle and experience a face plant. Expect your "spy video" and camera to come up missing when they do an inventory of your vehicle subsequent to arrest." Funny part is, most cases like this, the city plea's with the victim with this line of BS, "We will drop all charges if you don't file a claim against the city." The kind of officers you and the other poster described need to find a new job.

You're advice is not better, it's different (and in my opinion worse). I too have family in the police, and I too work closely with officers...I do not inform them of my firearm unless I feel my safety is at risk. The best way to avoid risking my safety when it comes to police? Avoid them.

You might also want to talk with NavyLCDR...he has personally been asked to get out of his vehicle while he was open carrying. He didn't notify, and never received a knee into the back either.

Because I am familiar with Alabama cops, I'm an Alabama gun dealer, I'm an Alabama firearms instructor, and I'm and Alabama lawyer with experience with our officers of the law. Also I have common sense which it doesn't seem the instructor in Utah clearly imparted to the student who's quoting him on this board, not mentioning his credentials or whether his advice was situational. He may have just said genius don't go getting a ccw badge and go flashing it when you get pulled over for all we know. My previous statement was initially made in jest but now I'm serious.

jurist:239769 said:
Because I am familiar with Alabama cops, I'm an Alabama gun dealer, I'm an Alabama firearms instructor, and I'm and Alabama lawyer with experience with our officers of the law. Also I have common sense which it doesn't seem the instructor in Utah clearly imparted to the student who's quoting him on this board, not mentioning his credentials or whether his advice was situational. He may have just said genius don't go getting a ccw badge and go flashing it when you get pulled over for all we know. My previous statement was initially made in jest but now I'm serious.

Ohio has your style of common sense...and your kind of officer...I believe his name was harless. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, since i haven't been to Alabama, but since I have been to Utah, and from what I hear from others, Utah seems like the winning State. In the end, everyone gets to have an opinion and advice for others, so you can keep teaching your students whatever you want. You students get to be like everyone else in the world, and decide what's best for them.

Bottom line, my life is easier if I don't inform unless asked or asked to step out of the car. So, I don't

As an attorney I'm sure you are familiar w/ subjective V. objective right?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back