No more Alcohol for me

Thank you Pro for some wise comments. This forum and others has been thru the alcohol/firearm debate many times with many replies. IMO, it is the same argument that people give for drinking and driving. Whatever the argument for saying that alcohol and firearms or alcohol and driving can be managed--it is fallacious at best and irresponsible at worst. You drink over the 08 or whatever standard you want to use or say is creditable, you deserve the severest of penalties. If you injure or kill someone with with either item of choice, be it a firearm or a car--it is manslaughter at best and murder at worst. Even if you can show SD with a firearm, you are still breaking the law and deserve penalty-both legal and civil. Don't agree fine--just do not be in front of a jury with me on it. Just sayin.

So, those of us who will have one or two beers with dinner AND carry our guns as normal don't have our heads on straight?
Damn are you sensitive! I wonder why.
Don't think I read your post where you said that you carry and have a beer or two when you go out.
I was referring to the others that gave reasons with thoughtful logic as to why they do not drink and carry.
Do I have to go into detail as in my previous posts where I said .."how would you like to leave a restaurant after having a couple of beers and then had to defend yourself or family and be in court where the waitress or waitperson is on the stand saying that they did serve your table and remembers that they served you at least two alcoholic drinks"!
I don't know if you have your head on straight. I'll let you decide that. Others will have their thoughts about you no matter what you say.
PERCEPTION is after all the domain of others! You know, like the jury deciding your fate as your waitress testifies!:biggrin:

this is why my girlfriend has her permit as well. shes a non drinker so if i want to drink she gets the firearm. so for me its really a no lose stiuation, plus my chick can shoot, so i feel confident that if the situation comes up she will know what to do.

won't be long before S&W mimics the Captain Morgan designated driver ads with "designated shooter" ads....

Quit 15 years ago. I had one half of one beer since then. (Teenagers will drive you to it!) Several alcoholics were in my family. I was blessed enough NOT to be one of them and walk away under my own power. Like someone else noted earlier, WERE in my family. They are all gone except an uncle.
I carry a gun. I don't drink.

Did you note the recent case in Florida that was found "not guilty" of killing her child? They "didn't have enough evidence" to convict her. Do you think one witness who saw you have a couple of beers would be enough to put you away? I'm not taking a chance. Too many liberal courts would love to hang a "gun carrying, fly-over country, bible toting, conservative." After all, that's all we have is our "Guns and our religion." Right? You do what you want to.

A man ought to do what he thinks is right. - John Wayne

I don't drink enough to warrant even calling it drinking. I have a CDL so drinking when going to be in a vehicle at all......NEVER. Drinking when going to be carrying a gun AND in a vehicle. Never ++++++!!!! Now, doing yard work, mowing, trimming, edging, raking, trimming rose bushes, etc etc.......I find NOTHING better than an ice cold beer. But that is where the line is drawn.

I was just reading this article about 25 Signs You've Grown Up. #22. "I just can't drink the way I used to," replaces, "I'm never going to drink that much again." and then #24. You no longer drink at home to save money before going to a bar. I thought those were cute...none applies to me so perhaps I still have the child in me. NOT!:no: :biggrin:

I made my decision long before I recieved either of my carry permits. I will only drink at home. No matter what the activity, I will be sober. I will drive and I will be armed. It is a VERY small price to pay to keep my family safe. Don't get me wrong. I love throwing back a cold one just like the next guy. I feel there are much more important things, however.

Hey G, if someone goes over 08 or whatever standard you want to use that is creditable (that is not beer or two or a glass of wine, but a fairly decent imbibation) I sure has heck will growl. Like I said, be a defendant judged by a jury that I am on and I will not think twice about finding you guilty of whatever. If it is in SD, you are still guilty of breaking the law and you will pay dearly, either legal or civil. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Never while carrying and I try to carry whenever legal to do so. Did my share as a younger guy. Saftey first now in all things. Still like my cold one after mowing the lawn or when relaxing at home, but I am a real cheap date these days.

I do not drink, I did many years ago, but my now X Wife is a drunk, she got nailed by the state police. 3 times the legal limit. She was fined $5 grand, lost her license for 3 months and got a restricted license for 9 months after that. Then had to pay some fees to get her license back. She still drinks.

Because I carry and don't want to be impaired, I don't drink.

That is a no brainer.

Jerry

The threat of facing armed drunks seemed to deter looters in at least one Houston neighborhood after Hurricane Katrina's displaced thugs moved in from New Orleans

Link Removed

Last edited:
Amen to the OP!

Thankfully if my wife and I go out anywhere and I decide to indulge at all she becomes the designated driver and designated carrier. We're just glad that doesn't happen very often.

I was thinking the other day, Why would I want to drink a beverage that would force me to leave my firearm in my vehicle locked up and unloaded when that could be the time when I would need it the most. In the past I have consumed a fair share of alcohol but now, I plan and will carry everywhere that is legal so from this point on, NO MORE ALCOHOL. Anybody else decide this?
I never drink if I'm going to handle a firearm in any way. Miller time should be left for the end of the day when gun handling is over.

The threat of facing armed drunks seemed to deter looters in at least one Houston neighborhood after Hurricane Katrina's displaced thugs moved in from New Orleans

Link Removed
Although I think this is pretty funny it's a statement against each person's penal interest. As soon as someone is shot the accusation of alcohol will be made possibly causing a civil action.

Definitely sending a message to the perps in the area.

In Minnesota, we are limited to no more than a .04% BAC when carrying. I've had a beer with lunch or dinner, but that's it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back