NEW S&W M&P 9c JAMS!!

Running Arrow Bill

Running Arrow Bill
I'm a little pissed to say the least... :mad:

My new S&W M&P9c semi-auto handgun jammed after 3 or 4 shots spaced about 5 seconds apart! Tried 2 different magazines...same problem. Tried Remington UMC rounds as well as Hornady Critical Defense rounds in both magazines. Same problem.

The 3rd or 4th fired shell failed to eject. Was a real "BitXX" to get the gun unjammed, & unloaded.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any similar experiences with this gun?

P.S. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Hope it can be "fixed" easily; otherwise, may have to send back to S&W and hope I get it back this year...lol.

Thanks!

I'm a little pissed to say the least... :mad:

My new S&W M&P9c semi-auto handgun jammed after 3 or 4 shots spaced about 5 seconds apart! Tried 2 different magazines...same problem. Tried Remington UMC rounds as well as Hornady Critical Defense rounds in both magazines. Same problem.

The 3rd or 4th fired shell failed to eject. Was a real "BitXX" to get the gun unjammed, & unloaded.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any similar experiences with this gun?

P.S. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Hope it can be "fixed" easily; otherwise, may have to send back to S&W and hope I get it back this year...lol.

Thanks!

I've sent several guns back to Smith over the years. Their turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks-beginning to end. They're very good.

Should have bought a Glock... It is the ONLY semi-auto that I am comfortable with as a defensive firearm. There are plenty of other nice guns out there that work well. However, when my life depends on it, it absolutely HAS to be a Glock. The only M&P handgun I would even consider buying is their revolver.

Should have bought a Glock... It is the ONLY semi-auto that I am comfortable with as a defensive firearm. There are plenty of other nice guns out there that work well. However, when my life depends on it, it absolutely HAS to be a Glock. The only M&P handgun I would even consider buying is their revolver.

LMAO! I was about to make a comment of "easy fix, return it and buy a Glock". That being said I carry a Glock or Kimber...

Glock's are arguably the most reliable semi-auto pistol available. Especially for the money, a weapon you can bet your life on for under $650 is awesome. However, 1911's after break in are just as reliable (again, arguably) but to match Glock reliability you have to pay for a good quality 1911 and around 500 rounds of ammo for break in then about 100 hollowpoints..

Combat ready/bet your life on/to hell and back reliability (sorry SIG fans) it has to be a Glock.

Arguably being the operative word here. I got my first Glock, G19, a few months ago and I love it, now my daily carry gun. That said, over 23 years of carrying and shooting a wide variety of pistols, I have never had a pistol jam or otherwise malfunction. Maybe I have been lucky, but Beretta, Smith, Sig, and now Glock, have all functioned just fine.

Arguably being the operative word here. I got my first Glock, G19, a few months ago and I love it, now my daily carry gun. That said, over 23 years of carrying and shooting a wide variety of pistols, I have never had a pistol jam or otherwise malfunction. Maybe I have been lucky, but Beretta, Smith, Sig, and now Glock, have all functioned just fine.

You're either very lucky or don't shoot much...(not trying to insult you lol)

In my experience every weapon will at some point malfunction- some more than others..

S&W Jams

Agree, the Glock is awsome! On other hand, I do not like their safety features.

That said, My primary is a Baretta 96. Never had a failure of any kind in over 1000 rounds.

I got the S&W 9mm for a compact backup that was easy to conceal plus has a positive manual safety.

Am in process of contacting a S&W repair shop as well as S&W direct.

Still would like to have any comments from users of the S&W M&P 9c

Thanks,
Bill

Agree, the Glock is awsome! On other hand, I do not like their safety features.

That said, My primary is a Baretta 96. Never had a failure of any kind in over 1000 rounds.

I got the S&W 9mm for a compact backup that was easy to conceal plus has a positive manual safety.

Am in process of contacting a S&W repair shop as well as S&W direct.

Still would like to have any comments from users of the S&W M&P 9c

Thanks,
Bill

Just some friendly ribbing, that's all. The M&P is actually replacing Glock's in some cities (pd contract). To be fair- if you make 10k or more of anything you're bound to have a bad one...

I have two M&Ps a 40c and the 9mm and both have worked with out any problems. I love both and when I do not have my Kimber on me its one of the M&Ps the 40 compact mostly. I hope you get it worked out.

S&W Jam

Update!

May be justice in the world after all! LOL!

Wife called S&W this AM. Actually spoke to someone immediately who spoke USA English! Yeah!!

They're mailing me a pre-paid FedEx label to send the M&P 9mm back for service and/or replace.

Will keep y'all posted on progress...

Bill

You're either very lucky or don't shoot much...(not trying to insult you lol)

In my experience every weapon will at some point malfunction- some more than others..
No offense taken. I would certainly chalk my experience up to a large degree of luck, careful maintenance and starting out with quality firearms. I agree with what has been said regarding the likelihood of any firearm failing at some point. I guess what I do take issue with is the insistence of anyone that only their brand is worthy, all others more likely to fail. I carry my Glock knowing that it could malfunction any time, ditto with every other handgun I have every owned. Just have to have a plan for what to do when it does happen.

I think you made a fine choice originally. With any manufacturing process, there will be lemons. They seem eager to make you happy. I never carry a gun until I have shot at least 500 rounds through it just to prove it was worthy to carry to protect my life. Although I have never had such a model, I know plenty that do with no issues. Let them fix it for you. Personally, I take months to make a gun buying decision. I read and review lots of info. I was 100% Sig for many years having carried one in a LEO role many years ago. I considered my Sig P226 to be an amazing gun that took so much abuse it wasn't even funny. Never a misfire. Today I still buy Sigs but have found the Glock to be on that same amazing level. I still carry a newer version of the P226 today. Why mess with perfection. But I love the simplicity of a Glock. But with that said, Glocks are not for the novice.

My full size M&P9 took a few rounds to "break in".I had the same problems as you did. I was disappointed when I first bought mine but after about 200 or so rounds all the problems cleared up. Give it about 300 or so rounds and I think you'll be a happy owner. Mine is my carry gun and wouldn't even think about carrying it if it weren't reliable. Be patient.

I love Glocks, but after shooting my H&K USP for the fist time, I was sold on H&K.
Glocks are the best for the money, but H&K's are the best... Well at least that's my opinion.

Repair Update

Update on my S&W failure to eject problem:

Ended up sending the gun & magazines to S&W authorized repair shop here in Texas. After 2 weeks it came back today. Apparently all was needed was an "adjustment" to the extractor thingy...gunsmith tested with 20 rounds with no problems. YES! Will test in myself in few days.

Interesting "route" of FedEx: When they consigned it to FedEx in Brownwood, TX. (about 250 miles South of here), it was then routed to Ft Worth. Then, routed to Lubbock, TX. Then, to Amarillo, TX., where the area driver delivered it here. I know...round about route...but that's the way the trucks run...lol. Think my gun made about a 1000 mile trip to come 250 miles to here...lol.

Incidentally, I have a DeSantis holster for it for strong side carry...fits like a glove on my small frame body! Should be very easy to conceal!

Bill

I have the M&P 45 full frame and I have not any issues with FTF or FTE. The first thing I did was take it apart and clean it with a spray solvent. Then oiled it every which way but loose and worked it in by hand. Took it to the range and fired 150 rounds of target ammo with no issues. Then fired 100 rounds of carry ammo and still no issues so I would consider it a good one. Sorry you had the issues with it. I'm a Smith & Wesson fan and have had good luck so far. I've also taken the entire thing apart to do the trigger work. MA trigger pull was over 10 lbs at the beginning, down to 6.5. Lots of oil in there now!!

Good luck and Peace

S&W Jams

I've sent several guns back to Smith over the years. Their turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks-beginning to end. They're very good.

Got S&W back from Warranty repair shop. After adjusting the extractor, they had no problems with 20 test rounds. However,

When I test fired it yesterday, it jammed twice and had one round that came up while one was still in the tube!

I emailed both repair shop and S&W. Last nite got a call from the repair shop and they were "upset" that I still had problems (probably because I told them I thought I had bought a "Lemon").

Anyhoo, they said that I did not hold the compact model "hard, tightly enough" and that compacts required a much harder grip than full frame models. (It was news to me...:confused: )

I'll try "holding the gun harder today and see what happens".

Does ANYONE have any suggestions or comments about the GRIPPING issue? I've never used a compact before and hadn't a clue as to the "operator issue" (If this is the problem...)

Thanks for anyone's help!

Gripping issue

Got S&W back from Warranty repair shop. After adjusting the extractor, they had no problems with 20 test rounds. However,

When I test fired it yesterday, it jammed twice and had one round that came up while one was still in the tube!

I emailed both repair shop and S&W. Last nite got a call from the repair shop and they were "upset" that I still had problems (probably because I told them I thought I had bought a "Lemon").

Anyhoo, they said that I did not hold the compact model "hard, tightly enough" and that compacts required a much harder grip than full frame models. (It was news to me...:confused: )

Does ANYONE have any suggestions or comments about the GRIPPING issue? I've never used a compact before and hadn't a clue as to the "operator issue" (If this is the problem...)

Some pistols will jam if you shoot "limp wristed". These are generally the blowback action type units, which I don't think yours is. Just try it with a good firm grip.
cheers

I am surprised to read about the issues you are having (OP). I have an M&Pc 9 and have had no issues with it at all. I like it a lot. I know others that have them as well and they all swear by them. I know a pistol instructor and a number of guys that work for a large gun store that all put the M&P on the same level as Glock. The guys in the store told me that they shoot any ammo that they have put through them with no issues too.

On the grip issue, I probably hold my compact a little tighter just because the recoil is a little more with it being a smaller frame gun. I wouldn't say that I clamp my grip down as tight as I can though. I can shoot it one handed without any issues so the grip is not a lot tighter for sure.

I have heard that S&W customer service is really good. It sounds like they are going to take care of you.

My suggestion would be to sell it and buy a Glock. :biggrin: j/k What you could do is let a couple of experienced shooters fire it and see what happens. Another option would be to swap out the grip inserts and see if that helps.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back