New Mexico Drops Virginia and Florida Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements

Thanks for updating the maps. New Mexico now honors permits from only five states! (Even Maine honors eight.)

Of course, some states (CA, NJ, HI) do not recognize permits from any other states. However, of the states that do recognize the permits of some other states, New Mexico now honors the fewest.

These sweeping changes in New Mexico over just the past few weeks make we wonder whether something is going on there other that just comparing qualifications criteria. Sounds like some anti-gun politicians saw an opening and took it.

Doesn't NM have some unique laws, like you can carry only one firearm, and permits are valid only for certain calibers and types of handguns?

You can only carry one concealed gun, if you choose to carry two, the second must be open carry. When you take your range test, you qualify with whatever caliber you want, if you are smart you will qualify with a 45, that way you can carry it and every caliber below it, otherwise, if you took the test with a 9mm, you could carry it and anything lesser in caliber. Then, if you want to carry a pistol or a revolver, you must qualify with both, so the permit will specify pistol, revolver, and caliber of them as well. I just did both in 45, that way I can carry anything in either from 45 and down.

Thanks for the information. Quite interesting. I wonder if any other states operate similarly.

I would think that arranging all the many calibers of handgun ammunition in a list from highest to lowest might spur some controversy. For example, which is "higher": .327 Federal versus .38 special (or short, or +P)? Or .357 magnum versus .45 Colt?

Of course, anybody should be able to hit an 18" by 12" target at 3 yards, so why not qualify with a .500 S&W magnum?

When I took my course, the instructor was required to let us fire a few calibers plus two revolvers. I liked the Glock best of all the ones I was allowed to hold and fire so I bought one the next day. :smile: When it was time to get my CCW, I wrote him an email and his Dad, who was one of instructors came to our house and explain the rules and regulations to us in detail and said that if we have any problems, call them up or give the officers his direct number. Him and his sons are both qualified not only in MO but also in Utah and Florida.

Thanks for the information. Quite interesting. I wonder if any other states operate similarly.

I would think that arranging all the many calibers of handgun ammunition in a list from highest to lowest might spur some controversy. For example, which is "higher": .327 Federal versus .38 special (or short, or +P)? Or .357 magnum versus .45 Colt?

Of course, anybody should be able to hit an 18" by 12" target at 3 yards, so why not qualify with a .500 S&W magnum?

Yep, I guess there could be some disagreements when trying to come to a list by highest to lowest. TOO FUNNY in many ways. But hey, don't give them any ideas . . they would create an even bigger rucus than what we already hav going on now over reciprosity. Right now they just let you quailfy with a 45 semi-auto and a 45 revolver, covers everything down in both types of handguns . .

Bet it's HARD to conceal that .500 S&W, plus it would be awefully heavy . . my 45 XDm SA Compact seems hard enough to conceal to me . . and actually, I recently got a Taurus 708 Slim just for that purpose.

CD

As of before 4/30/2012 as lukem's maps show, NM does accept FL licenses. That is backed up by NM's website.
As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012

New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

Link Removed

Didn't see the link posted, it's updated, NM now has reciprocity with several states that were removed last month. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! I think that S&W500 would make a great carry gun for pocket or purse. It's only 15 inches long and weighs but a mere 72.5 ounces. Keep in mind that not only would the mere sight of that revolver act as a deterrent on even the most thick-skulled street animals or brazen carjackers, it could also be useful if, in the course of your day, you need to demolish a small building or two.

I too have a Springfield Armory XDm compact (.40 S&W) and alternate between a Supertuck and a BlackHawk belt case. But I admit I'm torn. I like the capacity and operation of a fine semi, but I prefer firing a heavy gun, so I sometimes carry a DA-only Ruger SP-101 in .357 magnum, but holding .38 + P. I know it's mostly personal preference, but I can't stand those airweight high-caliber revolvers.

I'm contemplating whether making a full-size, all-steel semi my carry gun would make sense.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Wilkinson, Ken wrote:
Good morning, Mr. Caranna:

We will be placing New Mexico back on the (Florida) reciprocity list this afternoon. The only hold up was that I had not yet spoken with anyone at the New Mexico Department of Public Safety (NMDPS) to get confirmation as to the proceedings that led up to their decision to once again honor Florida licenses. I spoke with Sgt. Suzanne Skasik at the NMDPS within the hour, and she gave me the information I needed.

I hope this provides the definitive clarification you were seeking. If I can be of further service, please get back in touch with me at your convenience.
Sincerely,
Ken Wilkinson
Assistant Division Director
Post Office Box 3927
Tallahassee, Florida 32315-3927

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member