Need holster opinions....

EdMP3006

Hiya ladies and gents....this is my first official post, other than in the intro thread and I gots a question :)

I currently have a Sig P220 Dark Elite in .45acp on order and I'm not really sure what would be the best holster to get for it....a friend suggested a belly wrap holster, but i'm a bigger guy than he is and I'm not really sure that would work for me...so I thought I would ask some folks that much more experience carrying than I do....since Maryland is existing in some kinda delusional state...

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Ed

I have a belly wrap and am 5'6" and 261 lbs. No problem. It not how big you are but how big your weapon is. :pleasantry:

Holsters and opinions SHOULD go together... because they're both personal. Sweet gun choice though.

Welcome to usacarry - good to have you with us.

Rig Rate - Holster Search, Ratings, and Reviews

Crossbreed Holsters > Home

Link Removed

My only advice/opinion to share will depend on how long you carry concealed - all day every day, or only briefly for specific trips/purposes? If all day everyday - you're going to want a comfortable holster, whatever kind, style, brand you select.

Also, concealment is nice (as that's the whole point), but you need to be able to draw quickly/access your gun too. If it's SO concealed you cannot get to it in an instant, it may not be much help in that instant you need it in your hand, and not your armpit, ankle or some other obscure but well-hidden location.

Get a good gun belt too - to hold it all together and prevent the "give away" gestures and "hoists" that come in trying to expect a cheap Wally world belt to do the job of an actual reinforced gun belt.

Then train (and train a LOT) with your carry rig. Happy hunting, and once again - welcome!

i bought a dickies leather belt from wally world, and it's as thick as the galco gun belts and works just as good. I tried a few different inside the waist band holsters, i settled for the crossbreed supertuck. I herd that the kholster is the same thing but less in price.

nice choice in a new firearm i wish i could afford to add a p220 to my collection.

Crossbreed's SuperTuck (a fine IWB choice) and Khloster's IWB version of a full or crescent moon holster are similar but not the same. Variations on the IWB 'tuckable' theme.

Kholster, however, provides a larger cowhide "circle" to prevent any portion of your gun from touching/rubbing against your body, and they provide holes along the edge of the cowhide to adjust the placement of the holster for cant/height etc. to fit your style and body to suit you. Both are details I personally enjoy, especially in hot AZ weather when I do not want to 'layer' clothing to keep the pistol grip from rubbing on me all day.

I think they're both exceptional choices in the concealment holster arena, but I love the 'perks' Kholster includes at less cost, with the same lifetime warranty and great service. IMHO.

Good call on the Dickies belt though... I'll have to check that out.

I can honestly say that I have worn a LOT of holsters, from leather to denier. I found a company at the gunshow in Florida that carries the old MIL-TECH holsters under the name of Soft Armor. Not only are these holsters comfortable (I wear the belt slide holster for my Sig 220 carry), but affordable (I think I paid less than $20 at the show) and made in America. The company that I got it from (Tru-South Outfitters) has a website if you want to check it out (Link Removed). They are fairly reasonably priced with holsters and other stuff.
I was carrying a leather holster before that made by Sam Andrews of Andrews Leather. He is quite a craftsman, but I found that the leather from the holster started giving me a rash, so I switched to denier.

I can honestly say that I have worn a LOT of holsters, from leather to denier. I found a company at the gunshow in Florida that carries the old MIL-TECH holsters under the name of Soft Armor. Not only are these holsters comfortable (I wear the belt slide holster for my Sig 220 carry), but affordable (I think I paid less than $20 at the show) and made in America. The company that I got it from (Tru-South Outfitters) has a website if you want to check it out (Link Removed). They are fairly reasonably priced with holsters and other stuff.
I was carrying a leather holster before that made by Sam Andrews of Andrews Leather. He is quite a craftsman, but I found that the leather from the holster started giving me a rash, so I switched to denier.

Me thinks the Mil-Spec belt slide rig may not be a concealed holster... unless you live in the upper midwest and wear a huge parka... then you could sling an M-60 concealed. :biggrin:

AZSATT, the belt slide holster works surprisingly well, especially when you wear your shirt untucked, as I do most of the time.

I currently have a Sig P220 Dark Elite in .45acp on order and I'm not really sure what would be the best holster to get for it.... [...]

I went with a Workman Slimline IWB from mitch rosen gunleather and have carried in it for over a decade. I can't speak highly enough of Mitch and his holsters.

For open-carry I'm going to be adding a Serpa CQC for its Level 2 retention feature.

- JoeLevi.com, Link Removed

Personally, I'm partial to Mernickle slide (loop) holsters. I've had several made for various weapons (XD .45, XD 9mm, Taurus 1911) and they work very well for me. I'm a big guy (too much belly) but find wearing the slide holster at 5 o'clock to be very comfortable for extended carry. An added bonus, for me at least, is that when the weapon is removed (say, at work, where I store it in my desk drawer), almost nobody recognizes the holster still on my belt; probably most think it to be a cell phone holder or something. This works for me as I have clients in and out all day and don't need to take up my time with extended conversations about carrying. My .02 cents.

+1 on the CrossBreed for IWB.

I like the DeSantis Gunhide holsters. I have the Speed scabbard for the revolver and a thumb-break version for the M&P45 both in black. Fit is good and break in time is quick.

Holsters are a very personnel thing. Gotta try a few and keep the ones that work.

Peace...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back