N. Little Rock Store Would Not Sell to a SC Rresident

GA LegionRider

I was in N. Little Rock on business and to visit my son last week. While we were spending some time together before I had to fly back to South Carolina we decided to visit some local gun stores. Whenever I travel around the country I always try to check out a couple of the local gun stores as you never know what you might find.
Well, to make a long story short I found a used WASR brand AK-47 type that was in like new condition at the Fort Thompson Sporting Goods store in N. Little Rock. The sales associate said the previous owner wanted to get rid of it because he already had 2 or 3. (I didn't know you could have too many.) They only wanted $400 for it and I've seen many before that had earned the description 'used' that cost a lot more. I mean this gun looked like it had just come out of the box.
So once I talked myself into it I started filling out the paperwork. When I entered my current state of residence as South Carolina I was informed that they could only sell to residents of states that bordered AR. They insisted that they were correct as they had checked this before so I didn't argue with them and left.
I got the same story across the street at the local Gander Mountain store. Now I had already been to the local WalMart in NLR and looked at their guns and checked out the gun sales map I always see posted in every WalMart that sells guns. So I went back to make sure and the map clearly shows that AR stores can sell to SC residents and a WalMart sales associate I talked to about the situation confirmed that I could. He was ready to sell me a gun.
Can anyone shed any light on this matter? Are the gun laws different for different types of stores or were the Fort Thompson and Gander Mtn people sadly misinformed and screwed themselves out of a sale, as is my suspicion?

I had hat happen tome. I was a sc. Beaufort resident visiting the claws in Ohio trying to buy the same rifle in a local gun store. They fed me the same line of shot so I went back home and got the mother in-law to go fill out the paperwork for me. But like u said if wally world sold wasr 10's we would be set no problem

Pardon my ignorance but can't you buy the gun in Arkansas and have them ship it to an FFL in SC?

My understanding of their logic(?) was that they would not sell it to me period. I could have had my son buy it and then hold onto it until the next time I visit in my vehicle but the whole situation irked me so I didn't. Besides if would have then been registered in his name unless we went through the whole take it to an FFL dealer and have it transferred to me thing.

Pardon my ignorance but can't you buy the gun in Arkansas and have them ship it to an FFL in SC?

From Dealers

Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer`s and purchaser`s states and localities are complied with:

An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual`s state of residence
An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state

My understanding of their logic(?) was that they would not sell it to me period. I could have had my son buy it and then hold onto it until the next time I visit in my vehicle but the whole situation irked me so I didn't. Besides if would have then been registered in his name unless we went through the whole take it to an FFL dealer and have it transferred to me thing.

Where , exactly, would the gun have been "registered"? BTW having your son buy the gun for you would have been a straw purchase

I had hat happen tome. I was a sc. Beaufort resident visiting the claws in Ohio trying to buy the same rifle in a local gun store. They fed me the same line of shot so I went back home and got the mother in-law to go fill out the paperwork for me. But like u said if wally world sold wasr 10's we would be set no problem

Which happens to be a Federal felony.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter? Are the gun laws different for different types of stores or were the Fort Thompson and Gander Mtn people sadly misinformed and screwed themselves out of a sale, as is my suspicion?

They were misinformed and screwed themselves out of a sale. They are operating under a law that was amendend in 1986. The following FFL newsletter explains the situation very clearly:

Link Removed

To add to your story I am from Arkansas I went to the same store You did in n. Little rock fort Thompson for them to look over a class 3 transfer in state i was doing they said sure come on down we will look It over for you they told me 4 or 5 people there that day could look at it for me to make sure it was right so I drove a hour to them I get there they told me they are not sure they are doing it right attlf is having a class with them then they can look at it for me, why did I drive all that way for that. next time you are in little rock I recommend Bullseye guns and ammo great guys good help and love all guns I bet money they would have sold that AK to You they have the state brochure on the wall in the store posted

1) The BATFE has given FFL dealers fits at gun shows about selling guns to non-residents. Several I know will not do it without a FFL transfer to your state local dealer. Some FFLs are just being safe, since the BATFE has been known to "bait" dealers into questionable sales.

2) Your son knowingly purchasing a weapon to give to you is a violation of federal law, form 4473, a felony.

Check it out, I ain't making this schtuff up.

It's always a good idea to commit a felony and then discuss it publicly on a net forum using your actual name and location.

Unfortunately they are correct. SC law restricts the purchase of long guns by a SC resident to SC and border states (NC and GA) and also the sales of long guns to residents of those states. This is different than Federal law but is state law. A bill has been introduced in the state legislature to make the change so that SC will follow Federal guidelines. As someone said they possibly have shipped it to a SC FFL where you could buy it at the SC FFL. Reading the state law in one interpretation is that you cannot buy it in out of state (even on line) and have it shipped to you. It must be sold to a FFL in SC where you can buy it from that FFL.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back