My Wife HATES guns, how do I get her on board?

Anyone has to come to guns on their own. I had an interest in guns and I got my pistol permit but I didn't have a way to learn without my DH. I went to a women's program at a local club that I found in a local paper. I had lots of fun shooting with people I didn't know. These days when I teach other women I like to have the spouses and significant others stay away or at least quiet.

My suggestion is similar to a previous poster. Try to get her to a Women on Target event. Even a rifle event would be better than nothing and a lot of fun.

Just wondering, Do you have a shotgun in the house? With a shotgun you don't have to be a real good shot. That way if you were gone and her and the children were in danger she might use the shotgun in a real emergency. I do understand my wife isn't against guns she just doesn't like to shoot. But in a rare case I were not home she knows where it is and can point and shoot. I hope you get this worked out.

And, no offense, but you should stay home. She may be experiencing pressure from you that she may not otherwise have to think about while in female-only company.

Diva, you've got it VERY square there...I'm fortunate that my wife will TELL me if I'm stepping over the line, but we've been married for more than 26 years, and it took her more than a few of them (and ME a LOT of them!!) to learn when to let someone ELSE take over...Now, I get to learn ALL over again, with my daughter!!

Hmmmm, I think about my wife and her understanding (she's been to Front Sight with me) and I just count my blessings. Good luck to you sir.

ist gniong to be ok i wlil hael sono adn heav boht arms to tpye wiht tyeh sya i wlil regani full ues of my mtor sikls snoo. I sholud have maed shurre she wsa nto readding ober my shoulder.

vang

Slowly I've been laying stories or watching YouTube of citizens carrying. It has spark some interesting conversations. So I mentioned a class to her and she actually said yes. I'm currently looking for a NRA CLASS in the area so we both can go together. I carry a G23 so this isn't the perfect caliber for her to start with. Maybe a .22 or .380 for kicks first. But she is slowly converting.

One of the things that you have to know about yourself when you consider guns for self defense, is knowing that if it came to making the decision, that you take someone elses life to protect yourself and your family. I seriously love my wife dearly, but I also know her well enough to know she couldn't pull the trigger on another human being. I could do it in a heartbeat. So I know it scares me that we've had a few breakins nearby, and I can't always be there as protector. She knows I have firearms in the house, I reload, and I carry. She doesn't like it, and I don't like that she wouldn't defend herself. Our neighbors both shoot, so now I'm working to set up a conversation with the neighbors wife and my wife, to try and break down some of the apprehension, but I know it's only to make her more accepting of my habits, and I doubt she'll ever be comfortable shooting a gun herself. It's just not always that those we love do things we agree with.

Been married 38 yrs and only recently has my wife warmed to being able to defend herself, her family, and home. She has practiced with me on occasion over the years but would never carry. Tried to shame her by telling her that she should be able to defend her family--nothing worked. Finally at last springs gathering she found out that two of her good friends carried. She has taken a CC course and wanting a 38 wheelie as her carry. Hope your wife comes to the conclusion that her families lives may depend upon her abilities with a firearm. IMO, to do less is putting her close to the useless category. It sure put a distance between my wife and I. She even protested the kids and I taking Kung Fu training many yrs ago. She has come a long way and it only took 30 yrs--lol.

my wife's spiked curiosity

I took my wife to a cc class with a glock 19 and he was a bit unsure but a few medic buddies had a ruger .22 with a red dot and she loved the stainless look and next thing I know she was shooting a stainless ruger .44 magnum not under my recommendation . She now also owns her own super red hawk stainless .44 8.5 " barrel. Not a good carry weapon haha but if I were an intruder a woman holding that would make me wet my pants!

Slowly I've been laying stories or watching YouTube of citizens carrying. It has spark some interesting conversations. So I mentioned a class to her and she actually said yes. I'm currently looking for a NRA CLASS in the area so we both can go together. I carry a G23 so this isn't the perfect caliber for her to start with. Maybe a .22 or .380 for kicks first. But she is slowly converting.

If you can see if you can find a Bersa 380, large for a 380, very little recoil, very accurate, and a bit more punch than a 22, another choice would be a Glock 19, small enough to handle well but big enough for about any situation, my reasoning is a 22 is to small to be interesting, my grandaughter tired of it (walther p-22) after less than 50 rds, she likes our G-19 and full size 1911, but I just got a Bersa thunder 380, and she thinks that little gun is great, when shes old enough, she will most likely take her permit qualifying ck with it,.............however on the carry gun deal I personaly believe any gun you carry is good, vs no gun at all, but a ways down the road, when shes much more used to shooting, I think a compact 40, or even a 9mm would be a better choice for a everyday carry weapon

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back