My Springfield Armory 1911 Micro Compact won't work for me

Timothy2001

Try as I may I just can't bring myself to carry it with one in the pipe. I realize the safeties, keeping your finger off the trigger etc but I am not going to feel comfortable.

My other "carry" gun is a Ruger LCP but that has such a long trigger pull I don't
like to practice with it much less use it in a situation.

So, I am seriously considering the Glock 26 and just keep the .45 in my night stand.
I have the Crossbreed Supertuck delux for the .45 and maybe the kydex will reshape to the Glock or I can just get another one.

Any suggestions before I pull the trigger on the Glock?

Tim

Try as I may I just can't bring myself to carry it with one in the pipe. I realize the safeties, keeping your finger off the trigger etc but I am not going to feel comfortable.

My other "carry" gun is a Ruger LCP but that has such a long trigger pull I don't

So, I am seriously considering the Glock 26 and just keep the .45 in my night stand.
I have the Crossbreed Supertuck delux for the .45 and maybe the kydex will reshape to the Glock or I can just get another one.

Tim
I frequently carry a full sized Norinco M1911. I've carried in a synthetic OWB paddle holster, a Don Hume 715M IWB, and my own handmade tuckable IWB. As long as the gun's in proper working condition, it's not going to shoot unless YOU pull the trigger.

You might want to do what I did with mine the first day I carried it.

Carry with an empty chamber, and the hammer back, safety on. Do that for a day. If the safety's still on at the end of the day, any fears you might have about THAT gun are unfounded.

I walked to the small business where I worked (about 1 1/2 miles) to talk to my boss. The safety was on when I got there. I chambered a round, put the safety on and haven't carried any way other than condition 1 ever since. That was at least three years ago. The safety has NEVER inadvertently been disengaged.

Carrying a 1911 not cocked and locked is like having a car without the keys.
Like a knife without the blade
Like a scuba tank without the air
Like....well you get the picture.....

Like was mentioned by Deanimator

"Carry with an empty chamber, and the hammer back, safety on. Do that for a day. If the safety's still on at the end of the day, any fears you might have about THAT gun are unfounded."

I own a Sig Sauer 1911-22, and I like it. I am using it to see if I may want to purchase a 1911 for carry, and I was wondering the same thing. If anyone has had the saftey come off while carrying. That is a good idea to carry it empty like that to get a comfort level. I may try that.

been carrying a kimber 1911 since 1999, have never once had the safety disengage on its own. i carry 12-14 hours a day, driving varied cars, vans, trucks, but most of all i am on my harley. carry strong side, retention holsters, either uncle mikes with a strap, or now, use blackhawk serpa, level 2.

I carry a glock 19 IWB and love it and every other glock I've fired. I don't like carrying my 1911 unless its in a shoulder holster cause I always swing my arm and scrape myself on the hammer. Go glock

Condition one

I carry condition one every day because it is truley the safest way to carry. But go with what you are comfortable with. All my pistols are sao. Its what i am comfortable with and train with. Thats what is important is that you train with what you carry.

I understand your concern, I am just now getting comfortable carrying with one in the pipe. I have carried my G21 for about a month now. I use a Cleveland holster and there is no way the trigger can be pulled in this holster. I started carrying with one in the pipe about a week ago. The key is a good quality holster that covers the trigger guard. The gun simply will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. I also recently aquired a Smith/Wesson .40 which the glock clone. It has an extremely hard trigger pull. I use a different holster for the Smith, and purchased that from a local police equipment supplier. It also covers the trigger guard. Just make sure when you holster the gun, you are very careful not to hang the trigger on a shirt tail, zipper, etc. Ultimately, you have to do what you are comfortable with.

Tim
I can't believe you're seriously suggesting that a Glock is more safe than an SA 1911. Your 1911 has a grip safety, a thumb safety, and by virtue of being in a rigid holster like a CB supertuck, a booger-picker safety. Three safeties. It won't go off by itself even if dropped. Many people swear by Glock, but your comfort level about carrying condition one is NOT going to be allayed by switching to, what is basically a striker fired single action with no external safety. Glocks have short consistent trigger pulls with a finger safety that can be foiled by excess clothing material like a shirt tail or even the seat belt of your vehicle. My suggestion then would be to carry condition 3 until you feel comfortable with your gun handling. In the interim, practice drawing with no rounds in the gun, but in C1 state in front of a mirror. Practice disengaging, and reengaging the safety as you draw and holster the weapon. Join a club like IDPA where you get scenario based practice drawing from concealment. I didn't immediately carry condition 1 either, but I never considered switching to Glock as a fix.

I heard and idea somewhere that I thought was interesting may help for those not yet comfortable in condition one. I am not real sure of the particulars of doing it but you could carry a blank in the chamber. That way you don't have to rack the slide if you need to draw because you won't be able to. If you do have a negligent discharge you should be OK asides from ringing ears. Carrying a blank could also work for the folks that insist on firing a warning shot so at least there isn't a stray round flying towards innocents and may stop the attack without really firing a round.

This is not an option I would use because I feel a pistol without a round in the chamber is worthless and I wouldn't fire a warning shot but this may suite someones needs. I'd love to know what y'all think.

I heard and idea somewhere that I thought was interesting may help for those not yet comfortable in condition one. I am not real sure of the particulars of doing it but you could carry a blank in the chamber. That way you don't have to rack the slide if you need to draw because you won't be able to. If you do have a negligent discharge you should be OK asides from ringing ears. Carrying a blank could also work for the folks that insist on firing a warning shot so at least there isn't a stray round flying towards innocents and may stop the attack without really firing a round.

This is not an option I would use because I feel a pistol without a round in the chamber is worthless and I wouldn't fire a warning shot but this may suite someones needs. I'd love to know what y'all think.
Among the MULTITIDE of reasons why this is a bad idea is the fact that most locked breach semi-auto handguns will not FUNCTION reliably with blanks without some form of modification that makes them unusable with live ammunition. On movie sets, this usually amounts to a barrel with a restricted bore to produce enough chamber pressure to cycle the action. Such barrels can be constructed to preclude the use of live ammunition. Either way, subsequent use of a live round would be HIGHLY dangerous to the shooter.

So, what are you going to do?

Shoot a blank round, cycle the action and shoot a live one?
Shoot a blank round, field strip the gun and replace the barrel, then shoot a live round?

That of course leaves aside the stupidity of "warning shots", which goes without saying.

It's a foolish "solution" to an unfounded fear about an imaginary "problem".

I completely agree that it is not a solution I would even think about. I was not aware the need to modify the gun to use a blank that is why I said I wasn't sure of the particulars. Although I thought Brandon Lee died because someone put live ammo in the pistol and fired it at him thinking it was blanks but I could be wrong.

I agree warning shots are dumb as well but for those that insist on using them and won't change their mind I figured this was better than sending a round downrange. I carry condition one and always have I never even thought about not having one in the chamber but again some people refuse to and again rather than trying to change their mind which has been tried to no avail so I tried to offer an alternative. I guess the alternative won't help but I thought it was an interesting idea if there was not modifications required and the action could still cycle.

You'd carry a glock condition 1 but not a 1911? There are 3 safeties counting tge trigger that all have to be in the correct position to fire. The glock has one. Remember the police officer that shot himself in the class room with the neglegent discharge? I don't care for a lot of the newer designs for the same reason.

I very much appreciate all of the input and feedback. I am going to get more comfortable with the 1911 and carry that instead of buying a glock.

I can't believe you're seriously suggesting that a Glock is more safe than an SA 1911. Your 1911 has a grip safety, a thumb safety, and by virtue of being in a rigid holster like a CB supertuck, a booger-picker safety. Three safeties. It won't go off by itself even if dropped. Many people swear by Glock, but your comfort level about carrying condition one is NOT going to be allayed by switching to, what is basically a striker fired single action with no external safety. Glocks have short consistent trigger pulls with a finger safety that can be foiled by excess clothing material like a shirt tail or even the seat belt of your vehicle. My suggestion then would be to carry condition 3 until you feel comfortable with your gun handling. In the interim, practice drawing with no rounds in the gun, but in C1 state in front of a mirror. Practice disengaging, and reengaging the safety as you draw and holster the weapon. Join a club like IDPA where you get scenario based practice drawing from concealment. I didn't immediately carry condition 1 either, but I never considered switching to Glock as a fix.

THIS! ^^^ But go ahead and get the Glock. PM me and send the 1911 to me. ;-)

Both 1911 and Glock's are good weapon systems....The key is to know your weapon and practice - practice - practice.

Get a good holster and run drills on safely with drawing the weapon from the holster and unloading your weapon.

My kids (now adult) like the Glock's. I carried one for years and own one...I took them outside and made them practice jacking a round in and out as well as the proper way to draw it from the holster....OVER & OVER AGAIN... Until (not them) I felt comfortable with their performance..

I now cross carry (not to be confused with "Cross Dressing") the Glock, 40 cal or my 1911 Warthog, 45 cal... The Warthog has less recoil. When I carry either weapon then have a live round in the pipe...

A Glock is a DAO stiker fired weapon with 3 safeties, a tigger safety and a firing pin block which is disengaged only as the weapon is fully cocked. Most 1911's have 3 safeties, A manual thumb safety, a grip safety and firing pin block. There seems to be some confusion by some people on these particular issues. Both are very safe weapons when used and handled properly. I shoot and carry both. In reply to the OP, carry whatever works best for you. I feel that the SA Micro is a good choice, but you need to train and feel confident with what you are going to carry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back