My Open Carry Experience

cartisdm

Recently I received my CCW and bought myself a Kimber Pro Raptor II for my EDC. I plan to Conceal Carry every day but I also don't have any problem with OC. I live in the heart of Uptown in Charlotte though so there's no need for me to cause any scene. However, I needed some ammo for my new gun and ran over to D*ck's Sporting Goods. It's a little North of most of the "city folk" so I just went ahead and proudly wore it on my hip, clearly visible.

No problems, no issues. It felt good! I didn't do it to cause an argument with anyone I encountered, but I was in an area I felt would be accepting of my firearm and I was right. From there, I drove straight to the gun store/indoor range still open carrying and chatted with people in the store while I was there. Again, it felt great!

By no means would I do this everywhere. Too many people don't understand firearms and I'm not going to rub it in their face so I'll keep my gun to myself. But Open Carrying is kind of like "letting loose" and taking your shirt off once in a while :)

Yesterday I was going to fill up with gas while OCing at a station that always has three or four cop cars hanging out but there were way too many people in line and I didn't want to fight a crowd.

For the record, I also wear pretty clean cut business attire so it wouldn't surprise me if people just assumed I was a cop :-/

Good for you!

Too many people don't understand firearms and I'm not going to rub it in their face so I'll keep my gun to myself.

I agree with you on this. I don't rub my gun in anyone's face either. In addition, that's just kind of creepy. I wear mine on my belt.

I wear mine on my belt also. In fact I don't know anyone that has rubbed their firearm in someone's face. Who would do such a thing???????

Yes, NC is an open carry state. In fact, even in banks as long as it's not posted. I don't plan on doing that though...
Why not? I OC in my bank all the time, even held the door open for the armored car guys dragging out a few thousand dollars of coins. Side note: Why don't OC'ers bash CC'ers on their forums? Hmm? I OC everywhere for two years and no issue anywhere. I only CC when I'm outside in real cold weather calls for a big/heavy jacket. I dress for the weather not the gun. Also I was brought up that gentlemen tuck in their shirts and don't wear hats indoors, so one more reason for OC. (Rant complete)

NavyLCDR:236906 said:
Good for you!

Too many people don't understand firearms and I'm not going to rub it in their face so I'll keep my gun to myself.

I agree with you on this. I don't rub my gun in anyone's face either. In addition, that's just kind of creepy. I wear mine on my belt.

Is rubbing a gun in some ones face considered brandishing? *SARCASM* for those that would get confused

Hey Firefighterchen the way you wore your gun (open carry)I at first didnt even notice it when you were at my house last summer. To me it seemed that you were carrying properly and safely. You give open carry a good name. In contrast I know of a man(idiot) who OCs but wears his large revolver like a gunfighter out of a old B Western movie and is always fidgeting with it. Oh well. By the way I did OC yesterday, it felt fine, and there was no panic, only one person even glanced at my gun that I could tell. I will have to do this(OC) more often. Sent you a message, Thanks.

I am guessing that you also iron your shirts and shine your shoes. Being a well dressed man is a good thing.
Why yes I did. Before the Army went to ACU's and tan boots, my uniform was highly starched/pressed and my black boots highly shined. Unfortunately the only places we could open carry (in uniform) is in a combat zone.

Not a bad experience you had.

I've only opened carried once in a town, and it was because I was traveling, had a suit on and it was hot - triple digits with 75%+ humidity.

I was in Subway after my job interview, and the local high school across the street had open an open campus policy... So lunch time rolls around, I'm sitting in Subway and was asked to move from a booth to the counter. I oblige without thinking everyone see's my Springfield XD .40 S&W 4" against my blue dress shirt. It went from lots of chatter to silence within two seconds. I play it cool and hang my suit jacket on the chair, and sit down. Everyone must have assumed I was a police officer at the time, because they went back to talking after fifteen or so seconds.

A few kids asked me what kind of gun it was, but never asked me why or if I was a cop. I'm guessing they assumed because the way I was dressed and my haircut.

CC in Texas my home state, OC in AZ second home never had a problem, also have CC in AZ for food places that have booze, even the visitors in Sedona have never had a single question. AZ 2nd amendment state.

I have OC'd on a regular basis for over four years and have only had one negative encounter. It was in August 2009 at a local McDonald's on a busy Saturday morning and my antagonist claimed he was a retired LEO. Judging from his accent, he was not native to the area (I live in Virginia) and I would put him from some state up in the northeast. He was really getting beside himself and I remained calm during the entire encounter.

And that's it. Many views and observances from local and state police and sheriffs and not one negative comment or remark from any of them. I still do CC when I believe it to be in my best interests at the time, but I prefer to OC and here's why. Not to make a political statement or to get knee jerk reactions from the public (this is not likely to happen in Virginia unless you run across a transplant from somewhere else). I have osteoarthritis in both knees and while still mobile, I can no longer run or fight as I was once capable of doing. My little friend on my side helps send a message to anyone who might by of a mind to do me harm that perhaps it would be better to bother someone else.

Virginia is probably the most lenient and gun-friendly state in the South when it comes to owning, carrying, and using firearms so OC'ing is no big deal. You'd be amazed at the number of positive comments I get from folks who notice my sidearm.

SouthernBoy:239154 said:
Virginia is probably the most lenient and gun-friendly state in the South when it comes to owning, carrying, and using firearms so OC'ing is no big deal. You'd be amazed at the number of positive comments I get from folks who notice my sidearm.

I am originally from VA and I remember as a kid my best friend's father open carried everywhere he went. We were maybe 8 or 9 years old at the time and I thought nothing of it. I actually felt really safe around him at all times.

I am originally from VA and I remember as a kid my best friend's father open carried everywhere he went. We were maybe 8 or 9 years old at the time and I thought nothing of it. I actually felt really safe around him at all times.

First time I ever open carried was into a little restaurant, diner really, for breakfast before heading out to hunt. My buddy and I went in and saw that most of the men in there, hunters as well, were OC'ing so we went back out to the car and hitched up our sidearms then went back in to eat. Small town in the mountains in 1971 or '72.

Hey, you good folks in North Carolina have got to get some of your strange laws off of the books. Like the GATTTOTP (Going Armed To The Terror Of The Public), and the one that says you cannot carry around a parade, the one that says you cannot carry into a place that charges admission, and the one that says you cannot carry in an assemblage of people (not sure about that one's wording). You're employees (read that as representatives) need to get their act together and stop robbing you of your natural born rights.

Considering the way a majority of people dress, anyone with a button up the front shirt, belt, and socks is dressed up or a professional something or other. To a person who is paying attention and has knowledge of concealed carry, I would be just as well off open carrying since I wear a cover garment even in summer. A bad back and shoulder make it difficult for me to use anything except a shoulder or belt strong side holster. I cover from the naive but seem obvious to the law and the situationally aware. MO is an open carry and has always been, we just didn't push the fact.

Yes, NC is an open carry state. In fact, even in banks as long as it's not posted. I don't plan on doing that though...

You may want to look into the bank thing. They are Federal installations. As far as I know for GA I KNOW you can not carry in a Bank.. I have been an Open Carry member for 8 years. Im getting ready to come to Bragg for a week on the 7th through the 11th. Drop me you email or something maybe we can link up and hit a range! I need to know where I can have a place to play at... "BANG""BANG"

You may want to look into the bank thing. They are Federal installations.

Banks are in no way Federal installations. They are private businesses! They are insured by FDIC. Look at it this way - does the insurance company that insures your house or your vehicle own, operate, or control your house or your car?!? NO.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back