Multiple impact bullets?

dblock

What do yall think of the Multiple impact Bullet? Has any one got ahold of them yet.
Link Removed

Haven't seen em before, but I's like to see some actual high speed video of them performing. I don't have faith that they perform exactly as advertised in their animated demonstration.

Interesting concept.

Of course, the first time they're used in actual defensive shooting, the shooter will get sued/charged for using a super-lethal-extra-killer bullet.

I score it "very interesting" I'm going to keep my eye out for the 9mm. On the range tonight I felt very confident inside 7 meters with 14 out of 15 in the black but the nearest the target gets to shooting back is my brass lol. I have not had to fire my concealed weapon (for which I'm grateful) in such a pressure situation. I'm willing to look at anything that gives an edge. I live in Utah and if the subject of the lethality of my bullet comes up I expect the jury would say, "well of course you use the most lethal stuff you can find. What kind of idiot wouldn't do so". The only way you could get in trouble here is if your jury consisted of a bunch of University of Utah professors (the last and only bastion of extreme liberalism in our state).

Interesting...does the "tri tipped hole" penetrate 14+ inches (the segments and each tether)? Or just the slug?

Q: Has the A.T.F approved this for public use?

The A.T.F. has classified a wide range of Multiple Impact™ Bullet configurations, each of them as non-restricted ammunition (i.e. the same as a conventional slug or Buck-shot); meaning they are cleared for retail distribution within the United States. However, this does not include specialty “High performance” variants designed for the Military, and Law Enforcement

I guess civilians don't deserve to be well regulated too...

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Tom at Weapons Education did a chat with the owner

There is no slug in the middle, just three wings held together with kevlar dental floss.

I'd like to see them shoot some clothed gel dummies to see if the concept works.

Six dollars per round on an unproven concept is a bit steep for me.

I agree with the video that you won't get over-penetration. I'm dubious as to how much penetration there will be at all. When you expand the center of mass of a rotating object, your rotational kinetic energy will increase.

Here's the problem I see. Rotational kinetic energy is given the equation: KE(rotational) = 1/2 * I * w^2

The problem with this is the rotational inertia, I, with most of your mass toward the outside is greater, but your rotational velocity stays about the same. Now, if we have some of the linear kinetic energy getting transferred to rotational kinetic energy, we will not get nearly the same penetration as a regular round, because the linear kinetic energy that drives the round straight is being taken away to both expand the round and to increase the rotational kinetic energy. In laymen's terms, if the round's linear kinetic energy is reduced to increase the rotational kinetic energy, which must happen to do what this round is doing, the overall linear speed of the bullet will slow down dramatically. This will cause much less penetration.

I don’t know about you folks, but I want my self-defense round to go in, expand and do damage. I don’t want to hit multiple areas of the attacker’s body and not have great penetration. I’ll need to see some ballistic tests on this before I would ever become comfortable with this round. Also, if you reduce each piece of the bullet by 1/3 (3 pieces) then each piece will not have as much inertia (measured by mass) to penetrate. They say it will curve through water based materials, like flesh, but it seems like it would stop dead when going through thick clothing.

My other question is, if you miss with this round, like they are saying you will with other rounds, I see the very real possibility of hitting more than one person with one round of these. It seems the round is LESS controllable than a regular round. Each piece of the bullet is 7" off center (the radius of it is 7" to give a 14" diameter hit). Therefore, if you more likely to not be on target with your first shot, like the manufacturer purports, then this shot will miss by an additional 7"????? This doesn't seem smart at all.

Be careful about state laws with those rounds. They can be defined as bolo rounds and can be illegal.

Tom at Weapons Education did a chat with the owner

There is no slug in the middle, just three wings held together with kevlar dental floss.

I'd like to see them shoot some clothed gel dummies to see if the concept works.

Six dollars per round on an unproven concept is a bit steep for me.

I misinterpreted one of their pictures. I thought their comparison between a slug and a mi bullet was just an mi bullet and its different parts, not two separate shots.

It sounds like the owner is saying that if you pull your shot and only one wing hits, it will embed in the body and the other two wings will swing around to hit the side or back.

Yeah, it looks like a three piece bolo round.

i found it on weapons education. nice concept but i would like to see more info on it high speed and ballistics gel test.

Until these bullets are in common use by law enforcement, a prosecutor can portray their use as a brutal act by a sadistic maniac. They often try to do this with simple hollow points. In court someone who engages in self-defense is judged not by his piers but by average men and women who would not consider carrying a gun. And liberals never let their self righteous opinions be clouded by logic and common sense. I always remember Jocelyn Elders, Clinton's Surgeon General, saying "we need safer bullets". Unfortunately, most liberals don't see the idiocy in that statement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the video I just watched from that link shows the bullet splitting into 3 fragments connected by some sort of cable. If that is the case, who assumes responsibility when one of the cables snaps and a fragment hits a bystander?

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

After watching the Weapons education video, and think about again, I would never use these bullets. Ever. The three segments open up to a 14in diameter with no center slug. So if you actually aim center mass, your going to hit everything but. Aim at the upper chest, you're going hit the shoulders and abdomen area. Attackers not relenting and coming closer, necessitating a head shot? Forget about it. Not possible with this round. Maybe if you pull your shot, you might get lucky and hit a vital organ or the head, but if you actually "hit" where you were aiming, there's nothing there doing damage other than some Kevlar thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the video I just watched from that link shows the bullet splitting into 3 fragments connected by some sort of cable. If that is the case, who assumes responsibility when one of the cables snaps and a fragment hits a bystander?

Probably the same person who negligently shoots or causes someone to shoot a bystander with any other kind of round...

Probably the same person who negligently shoots or causes someone to shoot a bystander with any other kind of round...

My point exactly. Who's idea was it to design a round that intentionally doesn't hit where you aim?

It sounds like the owner is saying that if you pull your shot and only one wing hits, it will embed in the body and the other two wings will swing around to hit the side or back.

Yeah, it looks like a three piece bolo round.

And if that happens, then the other two pieces will actually keep the first piece from penetrating as much.

If all three pieces hit you and they are all attached by this string, then the string will get taught and keep each piece from penetrating as much.

This is a foolish idea when it comes to penetration.
This is a foolish idea when it comes to shot placement (none of the pieces hit where you aim)
This is a foolish idea when it comes to liability since there is a greater chance that a bystander will get hit.
This is a foolish idea when it comes to price ($30 for 30 rounds, I currently pay $30 for 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP 67% more expensive)

Need gel tested, or tested on a pig carcass, let's see what happens when the target isn't paper.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back