Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not?

Desert Dude

Reading a thread from the Concealed Carry category............................

If I an stopped by you for a routine traffic violation and advise you I have a concealed weapon, AND, you wish to see it, do you want it given to you loaded or unloaded?

Please, I am only concerned in what the LEO wishes. Thanks.

I have been stopped a couple of times and informed the LEO. They never asked to see it. They just advised that it remain where it was and we would not have a problem. Both stops were very cordial. I got a ticket in one case and a warning in the other.

I have been stopped a couple of times and informed the LEO. They never asked to see it. They just advised that it remain where it was and we would not have a problem. Both stops were very cordial. I got a ticket in one case and a warning in the other.

From what I have heard and read this seems to be the normal. I sure hope so. I think it would be difficult for both parties to have unloaded first. Thanks.

interesting..

Yes, it is, and for several reasons.

The 'safety first' issue comes up of course. I would never think of handing a loaded firearm to anyone, even a LEO. However, if I unload it, at the LEO's direction, both of us have to be very careful, and the LEO would not be a happy camper if he got swept during the unloading.

Mr. LEO, can you chime in and shed some light on what REALLY goes down after you are notified?

The best thing to do is just follow the LEO's instructions. If he/she wants it unloaded chances are they will do it.

I think Red Hat has it right. Don't overthink this--just follow the LEO's instructions. If you want to make an issue over handing the firearm over in the first place in a state where there is no specific requirement, that is your decision. Personally I like to accomodate LEOs and not worry so much that I am losing all my rights--the LEO does not know you or anything about you and putting him at ease by following his instructions just seems to make the most sense particularly when we are talking about a loaded firearm in your possession that can kill an officer.

just follow the commands that u are given and all will be ok. their job is hard enough on a day to day basis. they will inform you of what they want you to do. the norm is to just keep ur hands aways from it, place them where the leo can clearly see them, and leave it alone and u will be fine. just my honest opinion and advice from leo friends. also turning on ur inside the car lights at night is very helpful for when they are walking to your car at night. if they can see what ur doing and where your hands are you will be fine. hope this helps

ANY LEO that knows what he is doing WILL NOT ASK YOU TO UNLOAD IT! most likely he will tell you to just leave it where it is, maybe keep your hands on the steering wheel would be a good idea too. think about it.... if you unload your gun it would be to make the LEO feel safer since you are disarmed right? how do you unload a gun without pulling it out of your holster and handling it right in front of the LEO? I'm bettin he WILL NOT ask you to unload it.

I've never been asked for my gun. The few times I've been stopped the cop usually just says "OK" when I tell him I am packing. Any cop ought to figure if you're gonna tell him your packing that you aren't a felon (he's gonna know when he runs your license); and or that you not a bad guy. If you were a BG 1) You wouldn't tell him and try to hope he doesn't find it or 2) You won't tell him and try to get the drop on him.
Either way, bad guys usually don't announce they are armed.

Hey Anthony I Am: My first thought when I read your post is " why were you stopped a few times?" Not exactly the kind of experience in LEO interrractions that are something to put on your responsiblility resume.

The best thing to do is just follow the LEO's instructions. If he/she wants it unloaded chances are they will do it.

I know if I were an LEO, I would want to unload the firearm myself. As an RSO, I've seen way to many people at the range who do NOT know how to properly handle their firearms.

Combine lack of abilty and "nervousness" that comes from being stopped, I would NOT trust anyone but myself to unload a gun.

BuT!! On the other hand;
I've also seen quite a few LEO's that I would not trust to handle my firearm without my supervision.

"Officer, what do you want me to do?"

When I posed this question to an officer after I had been stopped for a speed infraction and telling him I had my concealed carry permit and was armed, his response was "Just don't shoot me!" I chuckled and felt like everything was OK until he gave me a " 50 in a 35" which cost me $99. He said it could have been a 55 in a 35 but he was cutting me a break. That was my first and last ticket since being legally armed.
What really bothered me about the whole incident, is that he flagged me after 5 cars passed by him and I was the first commercial vehicle coming up the hill and he chose me...:fie:

I was asked to hand my loaded Glock across the front of the car (LEO came to passenger window) where my wife was sitting and with two kids (10 and 1) in the back seat. Supposedly, the trooper came from a local town and that was their protocol for handling traffic stops.

I spoke to his supervisor after I got home and the supervisor said that the trooper was wrong. He also said that he knows what it takes to get a CWP and that we should be afforded the same respect as a fellow officer in terms of the handgun.

I was stopped for speeding. I wasn't going excessively fast, wasn't driving in an unsafe manner, was in a Highlander Hybrid with current registration and tags, and had my good looking family in the car. It was in the middle of the day and this particular LEO handled the stop poorly.

The thing is, I wanted it to go well and made sure to keep my hands on the steering wheel, gave him my license and CWP, told him I was armed and courteously handled the situation.

However, next time I won't hand a loaded gun across the car and will ask for a supervisor or will have to be removed and cuffed instead because I'd rather that than a ND and my family paying the price.

While not getting pulled over in the first place would be ideal I've already been through two 'random' traffic stops where they stop all cars on a certain road and check licenses and registrations. I didn't have a CWP so I didn't have to say anything about that.

Hey PaulIcemanMc: Sometimes you are the last car in a line of speeders that are easier pickings for the LEO. He can't stop all of you. My one and only speeding ticket was on a highway that I had just come on and was trying to get "in the flow" of the traffic, which, unfortunately was over the speed limit. Being the last one in line made me the first for the ticket. I doubt your commercial vehicle was his reasoning--but ya neva no

Hey PaulIcemanMc: Sometimes you are the last car in a line of speeders that are easier pickings for the LEO. He can't stop all of you. My one and only speeding ticket was on a highway that I had just come on and was trying to get "in the flow" of the traffic, which, unfortunately was over the speed limit. Being the last one in line made me the first for the ticket. I doubt your commercial vehicle was his reasoning--but ya neva no

I would like to think that was the case, but it was around lunch time and a lot of traffic was going up the hill and there were other cars behind me. I asked him why he stopped me and he said not to worry about that..because I got you.:unsure::confused:

Not totally true. Have seen 3-4 state troopers work an interstate where the cars they pull over are lined up and one or two are writing tickets. The line just keeps growing as they flag the speeding cars over. Not fun waiting for an hour just to get your ticket. Of course this was California and as everyone knows they live in their own "Republic". :pleasantry:

Hey Chief Engineer: You are right about the "blitz". Here in Charleston, Berkeley County in SC they will do a "blitz" every so often with more than 3 or 4 LEOs. They even station LEOs on the bridges behind the middle island barricades with handhelds. As the IceMan said, he was not last in line, like I was, so who knows why he got picked. Bottom line regardless of reason--you violate you pay. Still pays to be nice and respectful. Have had an incident where I was exceeding but was trying to pass someone going too slow on a curve and was very upset because I usually do not speed; everyone ends up at the same traffic light whether you are going the 40MPH max or 55MPH. I did what I was told, I explained my story as best I could, I was upset and when the LEO came back to me he issued me a warning and told me to have a nice day.

I had a stop back in January while driving the 3mi back home from the movies. The LEO asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I answered 42 (in a 45), which is the speed I really was going. I don't speed anymore ever since I received a ticket during my cross-country trip in Texas, and I definitely don't speed while carrying. Here in Jacksonville, the LEO's can only issue a ticket if you're going 5 or more over, so at the most I might be going a little over, which pisses off my friends, lol!

Anyway, the LEO corrected me in saying I was going 65. I was just completely shocked because there was absolutely no way. I tried to explain to the officer that they may have stopped the wrong car, but he wouldn't have it. He also assured me that their equipment was calibrated earlier that day. Now I know RADAR theory, and I know all the different factors that can influence a doppler speed reading, but didn't want to make myself sound arrogant or cocky. I just restated that something must have been wrong because I don't speed. Anyway he wasn't having it, and went back to run my license.

Now I'm not sure if in FL your status as a CCW holder comes up on the readout, but the LEO came back with a 180 degree attitude shift, told me to take it more slowly from now on, and wished me a good day. I wasn't carrying, because my license was sent back by the post office while I was on vacation, but I was a current CCW holder, and I wonder if the officer saw that and decided to cut me a break. Going 20 over (even though I wasn't), doesn't usually end up in a warning.

I would put my windows down,turn off the vehicle and hold both hands upon the steering wheel. If the officer does not ask about the weapon and CCW,I would tell him/her where it is and how they would like to handle this. As with any traffic stop I would not argue or try to plead the case there. if you get cited . Choose Traffic school or get a Ticket attorney. Cops have bad days and get pissed off too. Generally if a driver obeys all the traffic laws they don't get stopped.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back