Mississippi Open Carry

Benndalebandit

I have been open carry for several years now here in Mississippi and have had some good and some bad reactions from local LEO, both city and county. Now that the Ms courts have settled the ever lasting confusion, and confirmed that Ms IS an Open Carry State, things are quieting down.

In the last week I have had three different encounters with LEO and not one question from any of them! Once at Wally World where I was simply shopping like everyone else along side a city Cop, then at Autozone where a County LEO was also looking for some auto repair advise.

Most recently was today. I am a Vol FF/1st responder and EMT and was working a vehicle crash (the entire time I was OC) where the driver was trapped inside. We used the jaws to extricate the driver, then assisted the Ambulance crew with getting the guy in the truck and in route to the hospital. Then we stood around for about an hour with LEO and the power company (Car hit and broke a power pole) and not one of the LEO even questioned my open carry.

Just wanted to post some positive remarks to show that Mississippi, as backwoods as it may be, have some very respectable LEO and they seem to be well educated on this issue.

-Bandit

I have been open carry for several years now here in Mississippi and have had some good and some bad reactions from local LEO, both city and county. Now that the Ms courts have settled the ever lasting confusion, and confirmed that Ms IS an Open Carry State, things are quieting down.

In the last week I have had three different encounters with LEO and not one question from any of them! Once at Wally World where I was simply shopping like everyone else along side a city Cop, then at Autozone where a County LEO was also looking for some auto repair advise.

Most recently was today. I am a Vol FF/1st responder and EMT and was working a vehicle crash (the entire time I was OC) where the driver was trapped inside. We used the jaws to extricate the driver, then assisted the Ambulance crew with getting the guy in the truck and in route to the hospital. Then we stood around for about an hour with LEO and the power company (Car hit and broke a power pole) and not one of the LEO even questioned my open carry.

Just wanted to post some positive remarks to show that Mississippi, as backwoods as it may be, have some very respectable LEO and they seem to be well educated on this issue.

-Bandit

Good to hear....your department doesn't have sop against firearms?

I was wondering the same thing.

You would think "backwoods" that open carry would be second nature.

I think he's referring specifically to a recent court ruling that settled the legalities of OC in MS. Left to their own interpretations on confusing laws, LEOs should never be trusted to develop correct constitutional "second natures," and prior to the court ruling, MS was one of the better examples of how inconsistent laws and/or enforcement proves the prudence of that distrust. I read the OP as simply taking note of the difference in LEO attitudes since the court ruling. Backwoods or otherwise, LEOs who have the legal authority to selectively enforce laws based on their own biases and attitudes will always be inconsistent. The ruling is forcing LEOs to enforce the laws consistently. That's all.

To the OP, it would help if you would say what area of the state you're in. I've found next door in AL that attitudes varied widely amongst LE in different jurisdictions before we passed a law that basically did the same thing as your court ruling did. I live in the northern part of the state, and OC is/was quite the oddity up here, while a small movement gained enough attention in B'ham, Montgomery and Mobile to get the legislature's attention and pass a new, more understandable and consistently enforceable set of gun/carry laws. Mainly I'm just wondering if the attitudes you are seeing now from LE are a lot different than they were before the ruling in your particular area?

Blues

No, being Vol our Fire Coordinator and 1st Responder President have said that as long as you are legal to carry then carry on! And yes LEO attitude has changed for the better!

I am located in South Mississippi, George County/Lucedale/Benndale area.

-Bandit

Blues,

Are you going through an identity crisis? This is about the 4th or 5th avatar I have seen in nearly a month. I really like this one (purple cross with the sword, I'm thinking Ephesians 6). However, all of your new acquires have been interesting in a good way.

Wolf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back