Mag plugs

OldOwl

I'm having a hard time getting to the bottom of this. I'll skip all of what I've heard, and just ask. How many rounds are allowed in the magazine while hunting? does it matter what you're hunting for? does it differ state to state?

I'm having a hard time getting to the bottom of this. I'll skip all of what I've heard, and just ask. How many rounds are allowed in the magazine while hunting? does it matter what you're hunting for? does it differ state to state?

Yes... You'll have to check the local laws regarding that. I quickly checked the abstracts for 2010 MA and I find no mention of magazine limits for us here in MA. I recall you're in MA as well.

Some states limit 5 rounds per mag. I don't recall which.. I think NY may be one of those.

Link Removed

Definitely varies by state. For example, in all states your shotgun must be plugged to hold only 3 shells when hunting ALL migratory birds on both private and public lands (federal law). But in some areas of South Carolina, there is a 3-shell limit when hunting quail, but not everywhere. Etc. Etc.

Most states do a good job of pointing out the federal limitations in their own regulation materials and booklets.

Ahh! That makes some sense now 6shooter. When I was picking out an AR15 Stag had a "Hunter" which came with a 5 round mag. A youngster in Maine last week said something about 5 rounds when I was showing him my 8 round 870.

I think what's confusing me is that thing about back when pumps came out, the traditional bird hunters were complaining it wasn't fair with them using double barrels or something, and I think a plug had to be used to limit a pump and semi to 3 or 4 rounds. Confusing.

I don't hunt birds, so I'll run with the 5 rounds.

Thanks.

Ahh! That makes some sense now 6shooter. When I was picking out an AR15 Stag had a "Hunter" which came with a 5 round mag. A youngster in Maine last week said something about 5 rounds when I was showing him my 8 round 870.

I think what's confusing me is that thing about back when pumps came out, the traditional bird hunters were complaining it wasn't fair with them using double barrels or something, and I think a plug had to be used to limit a pump and semi to 3 or 4 rounds. Confusing.

I don't hunt birds, so I'll run with the 5 rounds.

Thanks.

My Colt AR15 is a pre-ban Sporter model. It came with two 5 round mags. The indication in the owner's manual was that the 5 round mag limit was to satisfy most states hunting regulations regarding ammunition capacity.

My old Browning BPS 12GA model came with a little mag plug/stick that was designed to limit the tube magazine capacity (normally 4 shells) to 2 for that purpose. Silly I think... Bag limits. If I choose to use the entire box of 25 to get to my bag limit so be it.

Definitely varies by state. For example, in all states your shotgun must be plugged to hold only 3 shells when hunting ALL migratory birds on both private and public lands (federal law). But in some areas of South Carolina, there is a 3-shell limit when hunting quail, but not everywhere. Etc. Etc.

Most states do a good job of pointing out the federal limitations in their own regulation materials and booklets.

Where are those places that limit you to 3 shots for quail in SC. I have looked over the regulations and couldn't find them so I sure don't want to take the chance on getting caught. I always use a plug for doves but have never bothered with it for quail. I am not dedicated enough for ducks so that one I don't worry about. Its getting to the point that you have to carry a gps, set of maps and law books with you now and double check everything again before you pull the trigger or drop a hook in the water. They may have changed things since you left home. Even have a size limit on big mouth bass now. I suppose next is a limit on mudfish.

Where are those places that limit you to 3 shots for quail in SC. I have looked over the regulations and couldn't find them so I sure don't want to take the chance on getting caught. I always use a plug for doves but have never bothered with it for quail. I am not dedicated enough for ducks so that one I don't worry about. Its getting to the point that you have to carry a gps, set of maps and law books with you now and double check everything again before you pull the trigger or drop a hook in the water. They may have changed things since you left home. Even have a size limit on big mouth bass now. I suppose next is a limit on mudfish.

I haven't left home! I live here in Paradise.

Page 45 2010-2011 Regs PDF:

Canal WMA B, Berkeley County
Quail Only
Nov. 24, 27, Dec. 8, 11, 22, 25, Jan. 5, 8, 19, 22,
Feb. 2, 5, 16, 19 8 per day
Quail hunters must pick up and return data cards at access points.
Shotguns must be plugged so as not to hold more than 3 shells

Page 44

Bonneau Ferry WMA Berkeley County
• Adult/Youth side open only to youth 17 and younger who must be accompanied
by only one adult 21 years of age or older. Youth hunters must carry a
firearm and hunt. Adults with youth hunters may also carry a firearm and hunt.
Includes all big game and small game hunts.
• All hunters must sign in and sign out upon entering and leaving any hunt on
Bonneau Ferry WMA.
Small Game
• Shotguns must be plugged to hold no more than 3 shots.• Quail hunters must pick up, accurately fill out and return data
card at the main entrance.
• No fox squirrel or fox hunting.

Just search for "plugged" in the regs.

Thanks for that info. I haven't been hunting down in that area so never have read the fine print for that area. Looks like I might as well leave the plug in as seldom do I ever use more than 3 shots for quail. For doves I could use about 16 some times. :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back