Made The Decision to Get a Good Gun Belt. Advice or Recommendations?

Khukuri

After searching the different forums and getting some advice, I’ve decided to purchase a good stiff belt to try before trading off my XD or purchasing more holsters. I’m looking for some advice on a good belt at a reasonable price. I’ve looked at the reinforced Wilderness Instructor’s belts but have seen some comments that they’re overrated. I also looked at a site called Beltman. I can’t afford to spend too much and don’t want to wait too long. Any suggestions or advice?

those belts in the giveaway are probably perfect for what you need
if i don't win it i will be looking as well for a belt like those and holster like the one in that giveaway too
they are quite expensive no doubt but should last a life time i would hope after paying that kind of price
best wishes

There is a site called bullhidebelts.com. They have several belts, just ordered a man made belt that is guaranteed for life. Their leather belts for 3 yrs. And I believe price includes shipping.

After searching the different forums and getting some advice, I’ve decided to purchase a good stiff belt to try before trading off my XD or purchasing more holsters. I’m looking for some advice on a good belt at a reasonable price. I’ve looked at the reinforced Wilderness Instructor’s belts but have seen some comments that they’re overrated. I also looked at a site called Beltman. I can’t afford to spend too much and don’t want to wait too long. Any suggestions or advice?

You already looked at the best source: The Beltman. I have 2 belts from The Beltman; a dual-layer bullhide belt with an internal stiffener and a horsehide belt that requires no stiffener. By far, the horsehide belt is the best I have ever owned. Personally, I choose to not use the "tactical" style or "instructor" belts. They just don't fit-in with my normal wardrobe. I do not dress tactically.

In the end, as always, you get what you pay for. If you want to buy one belt that will last a lifetime, get it from The Beltman.

MilShooter

Thanks for the advice. As a quick fix I just ordered the polymer lined Wilderness belt but I'm still looking for suggestions because I'm going to get a good quality leather belt too when I find the right one. So far, I do like the Beltman belts.

Crossbreed sells some quality 2 layer belts too and a little cheaper than some others. Brigade Gunleather and Milt Sparks are some other ones to keep in mind.

I tried to go cheap on my first gun belt too. My advice - spend the money up front for a good stiff gun belt that will last for years and support all of your equipment. If you buy something cheap, you will end up buying a good one a short time later, which will end up costing you more in the long run.

The best gun belt you can buy it the Rock Steady belt from High Noon Holsters. They are two layers of cow hide (or less sturdy exotic skins) with a proprietary synthetic material sewn between the layers of leather. They are hand made in the USA, and tanned using organic vegetable oil. I cannot say enough good things about these belts. Check them out here: Rock Steady Belts

Cabela's has a great gun belt that only costs $30.00 it's the basketweave Ranger Belt. Item No. IK-900081.

First, welcome to the site. I think you may find some very lively discussions here, not the least of which concerns holsters and belts. Although it has been discussed many times, it is always nice to have a fresh perspective.

Now that I've made my platitudes, I'll take exception to your recommendation of the "Link Removed" from Cabela's. I own one of them and they are (in my experience and opinion) inadequate for full-time concealed carry. After a couple of months, mine developed a droop where I carried my 1911. It also began to wear in the area I carried my holster. It just isn't stiff enough for comfortable carry of a full-sized pistol. There is a reason that people who carry pistols (i.e., police officers) all day, every day have reinforced belts as part of their equipment.

Don't get me wrong; I like my Ranger belt and wear it with jeans when I carry my pocket pistol. Absent anything to compare it with, the belt seems pretty stiff. For daily carry, however, it is not in the same league as reinforced pistol belts, made specifically for the purpose of supporting things that are hung on it. In addition to a pistol, I carry extra magazines, a small flashlight, a "Leatherman" tool and sometimes my mobile phone on my belt. I don't like to continually have to adjust my pants because they sag-down.

In my opinion, the only single-layer belt that should be considered is one made of horsehide. They are naturally stiff. The alternative is a double-layer bull hide belt, most often made with internal stiffeners. I don't like the thickness of these belts, so I got the horsehide, which is much thinner. (I first bought the thicker belt first and did not like its thickness.)

I should point-out that nowhere on the Cabela's site do they even remotely suggest that the "Ranger Belt" is made to carry a pistol. In the user evaluations, many people sing its praises as a platform from which to hang a pistol. My experience is 180 degrees from their experience. But then again, I had a horsehide belt to compare it to.

I will concede that not everyone needs a horsehide belt. If you carry a lightweight gun, or carry only occasionally, you can probably get by with a normal belt. I will also make note of the fact that I wear custom-made leather holsters. Price is not much of an obstacle for me when it comes to self-defense products.

As a final aside, if you go to Cabela's web site and search for "gun belt", the search returns only one "normal" belt. That belt is made by Link Removed and it contains an internal stiffener. One nice thing about the belt is that it costs only $47. I suspect that the quality of this belt is first class because it comes from Blackhawk.

MilShooter

Last edited:
I bought a very nice web belt at Cabela's about a year ago,and am very happy with it. The one I got is black , and I am not sure if it comes in any other color. It is an inch and a half wide, and holds my XD40 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster in one position, so I always am able to put my hand on it. It has shown no wear, and seems to be stiffer than just a web belt would be. It has a slip- fit buckle, so there are no holes , and looks nice enough I have no problem wearing it with a suit. If I remember correctly, it runs just under thirty dollars. I also bought a pair of suspenders at WalMart for eight dollars that holds the belt up off my hips.

I have; they have a variety, some are pretty thin, others are thick and work well, if the holster is cut large enough.

I also have belts from Sparks, Alessi, and Bianchi; they're very good, but I wouldn't say they're an extra $50-60 dollars better.

I wouldn't say WT is over-rated at all. They are the highest quality nylon belt I've ever used (in my 50+ yrs).

If you prefer a good quality "leather" belt, may I suggest going here: Link Removed

You can pick up an excellent belt for around $40.

-

I've heard alot of good stuff about the Ares Gear Ranger belt, cost 80.00ish, and have a wait time for them to be made, but I plan on getting one real soon. I currently use a Galco Matrix belt and love it, would use the Ares belt for range days and training, plus some everyday wear

I don't like to wait myself, especially 6 months for a holster. I got one from "The Beltman" in about thirty days and I'm happy with it. It should last me at least 10 years. Most quality holster makers make excellent belts also. I have the 5 stitch wilderness belt myself. Can adjust them exactly how you want and I would disagree they're over rated and do a fine job supporting my rig.

Wildbillsconcealment.com About $50.00 Two layers 12-14 oz. cowhide I've had mine for 3years daily use ..great. (you must paste wax and polish it 2 or 3 times a year..just like a good quality holster) I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II .. great support.

Take a look at these.

Link Removed

I just had to laugh at the incongruity of this link... Amish gun belts? I don't think the Amish are packing heat nowadays.

I'm sorry, but that's just funny.

I may be deranged, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

MilShooter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back