Looking to get into shooting

oneallaustin

Hi, you can probably tell that my name is Austin, I live in Spokane, WA. I'm new here and in fact I am very new to fire arms in general. I've never owned a gun in my life, but, the way the world has been shaping out I feel like buying a fire arm may be necessary soon. I plan on getting my conceal carry permit as soon as I turn 21. (I'm 20 now) But I was just hoping to shed some light on my situation. I would like to know if there is anywhere is Spokane that any of you know of where I could go and learn how to shoot a pistol before that day comes and if it's even legal. I've been looking at the glock 26 gen 4 as the pistol I want to buy when the day comes. It's small and would be easy to conceal, and I hope that I would never have to show it. The point here is I feel like I should know what operating a fire arm is like before I actually settle down and get one of my own.

Hahahahaha, you're talking to the wrong guy about Call of Duty man. I've been playing Battlefield since I was a kid. I haven't played call of booty once. But really? Whats with the rude comment like that? I'm asking for help, not boasting what I think I know from playing video games as a wannabe.

I'm not in the Spokane area, but you seem to be taking things, for the most part, in the right direction. Learn to shoot first, try several pistols where you can rent them, find what is good for you, then buy it.

I found this:
Link Removed

Hi, you can probably tell that my name is Austin, I live in Spokane, WA. I'm new here and in fact I am very new to fire arms in general. I've never owned a gun in my life, but, the way the world has been shaping out I feel like buying a fire arm may be necessary soon. I plan on getting my conceal carry permit as soon as I turn 21. (I'm 20 now) But I was just hoping to shed some light on my situation. I would like to know if there is anywhere is Spokane that any of you know of where I could go and learn how to shoot a pistol before that day comes and if it's even legal. I've been looking at the glock 26 gen 4 as the pistol I want to buy when the day comes. It's small and would be easy to conceal, and I hope that I would never have to show it. The point here is I feel like I should know what operating a fire arm is like before I actually settle down and get one of my own.

I live in Pasco, just south of you. Here are some, personal opinions, I've gathered in response to your post.

First, the world has always been this way. I'm glad you are choosing to step up and take care of yourself, we can chalk it up to being fashionably late :)

It's your choice to give up your Right, and get that privilege card, but if you have a way to obtain a firearm, you can legally open carry and defend yourself now.

You are young, you know how to use technology. Your best bet is to search online for gun ranges. Looks like there is a decent indoor range in Spokane.

http://www.sharpshooting.net

Glocks are a good gun, but before you make a decision now, before you have even shot a firearm, you should go rent one at a range. If you make the trip down here, hole in the wall indoor range in Kennewick rents popular firearms.

When deciding on a firearm, think of:

Caliber you shoot most efficiently
Capacity vs size (concealing)
Open vs concealed carrying
Price of ammo
Supply of ammo
Accessory options (ie holsters, replacement parts, etc)

You're 20, time to step up your game. It's up to YOU, to know the laws, to understand your firearm, and if you can't answer those questions, for YOU to find the answer. They are out there, and the sooner you learn to learn, the better off you will be.

There are plenty of people here able and willing to help...but you will be far better off when you can find the answers on your own.

Welcome to the world of freedom.

Start here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41&full=true

So if you decide a law is unconstitutional, at least you will knowingly choose to not follow it.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Hahahahaha, you're talking to the wrong guy about Call of Duty man. I've been playing Battlefield since I was a kid. I haven't played call of booty once. But really? Whats with the rude comment like that? I'm asking for help, not boasting what I think I know from playing video games as a wannabe.

Link Removed

My bad! I read your profile and jumped the shark!
Welcome and well met good sir!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Congratulations on your decision to carry a firearm and exercise your 2A rights. You are on the right track by going to a range first and firing that gun of your dreams but you may wanna try a slew of different guns, pistols and revolvers in 380, 38/357, 9mm, 40 and 45. You may find that because of the size and shape of your hand you like something better and shoot better than what you have your mind set on. Being new to shooting you may not want to start out with a subcompact carry gun because it makes learning the basic principles of shooting a little more difficult not impossible but more difficult.

I'm going to check out that sharpshooter place here in Spokane. Turns out they have a handgun coarse that teaches you the basics. It's 85 bucks for 3 hours. They also have several courses ranging in self defense with a handgun and a coarse where an attorney comes in and teaches you about the necessary laws.

Magpul has some good instructional videos, the problem with training is you don't know if it's any good until it's too late. Just remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Take your time and learn safety and proper handling. There's no point having a fire arm if you can't use it under pressure/stress. It's good to see someone willing to learn. Look into weapons retention courses as well. You need to know how to react if someone tries to take your weapon from you as well. Training is a never ending process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also try before you buy at Sharps. From your profile pic it looks like you have a significant other. In that case, check out their Date Night, Wednesday’s and Fridays from 5 till 9 PM $23.00 RANGE FEE FOR TWO PEOPLE, NO GUN RENTAL CHARGE. If you "rent for free" you have to buy their ammo which is spendy.

Lets also get the ball rolling on your Washington Concealed Pistol License or CPL. Having one will allow you to skip the Washington five day waiting period when you find a handgun to purchase. No class is needed, just $52.50, your fingerprints and a clean record. I am not sure if you need to go to the City Police or County Sheriffs to apply so here are both links:

Link Removed

Link Removed

At the same time you should also apply for a Utah permit which will allow you to carry in 32 states. There is a five hour class required for Utah Search our events/products and add to your shopping cart

Ok that should give you a good start. Feel free to ask questions, most here are friendly and willing to help.

Lets also get the ball rolling on your Washington Concealed Pistol License or CPL. Having one will allow you to skip the Washington five day waiting period when you find a handgun to purchase. No class is needed, just $52.50, your fingerprints and a clean record. I am not sure if you need to go to the City Police or County Sheriffs to apply so here are both links:

Link Removed

Link Removed

At the same time you should also apply for a Utah permit which will allow you to carry in 32 states. There is a five hour class required for Utah Search our events/products and add to your shopping cart

Ok that should give you a good start. Feel free to ask questions, most here are friendly and willing to help.

He's too young this year.

It's easy to avoid the five day waiting period, buy privately.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

You might want to look at how you want to carry and once you decide on a weapon DON'T buy the first pretty holster you see. Most of us have a holster drawer (or dumpster) full of discarded holsters. You will have to decide Leather or kydex, OWB or IWB or AIWB or shoulder rig. Lots of fun but kinda pricey. If you decide on leather know what you are getting into.

Just a thought to save you some $ that I've blown over the years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back