Looking to buy a shotgun. Thoughts?

Lethaldosage47

I recently inherited a 357 magnum but now Im wanting to buy a shotgun in the near future. Ive been looking into possibly buying a remington 870. I want to start hunting and possibly do a little trap shooting. Seems to me the remington 870 is a reasonable price and you can find them just about anywhere. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I own a Mossberg 500 and although it is not the fanciest gun in the world it does the trick. Nice thing is you can get accessories (ie barrels) for an affordable price, in case you want to own one for skeet and one for home defense. One of the main differences is the placement of the safety, if that matters to you. Both guns are great choices. You can't go wrong with either of these American made guns.

I recently inherited a 357 magnum but now Im wanting to buy a shotgun in the near future. Ive been looking into possibly buying a remington 870. I want to start hunting and possibly do a little trap shooting. Seems to me the remington 870 is a reasonable price and you can find them just about anywhere. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I agree with the 870 and Moss 500. Make sure to get the ones that take 3.5" barrels. There are several ways to tell if they do or not, just make sure (express super magnum is the name). If you are able to spend a few more bucks, get the Benelli Nova Pump. It comes with ghost ring sights (which should be cheating when clay shooting BTW), you can change the barrel to several different lengths, you can get a magazine extension to hold 7ish rounds depending on the size of your shell of course.

Keep in mind, I said...if you have a few extra dollars. On Gunbroker, you can get one for about $450 +/- $25 and barrels cost a BUNCH. When I say a bunch...I mean like $300. So, for $750 you can have two shotguns essentially. You can do the same thing for about $500 with the 870. I just prefer the way a Benelli shoots. Smooth as butter.

Link Removed

I love hunting with my Remington 1100 semi auto. But I'm lazy I don't like 2 pump. From Illinois we had to use slugs for deer hunting. Good all around gun too.

Link RemovedI have to vote Rem 870. Barrels and accessories abound for them. Prices are reasonable and if you decide to add a pistol grip type stock, the safety is easily manipulated with the hand in the firing position.. They are simple to clean and maintain and they go bang when it counts. If it fails to fire you can clear it without coming out of position.. My 2 pennies..

I have a Mossberg 500 pump in 410 bore. Wonderful gun. Contrary to what some may clain a 410 IS an effective defensive gun. You can get 000 buckshot(5 or 3 pellets) that develops 1000 pounds od muzzle energy or a 1/4 ounce slug developing 800 pounds of muzzle energy which is more than a 357 magnum. Either round would be more than adequate in a self defence situation. There is lots of options for shooting trap also. I used to doubt that a 410 was ok for trap but after a year I am now a believer in 410. My Mossberg even has a recoil pad! Mrs Santa has rheumatoid arthritus and shooting anything bigger is NOT an option. As far as the cost I reload my own which makes it cheaper than even promotional 12 gauge on sale. Give it a try, you WILL be pleastantly suprised.

For home defense, try a Mossberg JIC II, perfect for tight spaces and inexpensive, can be had for about $350

As a left handed shooter I prefer the location of the Mossberg safety to the Remington but it doesn't stop me from owning both brands. You can't go wrong with either and my old Winchester 1300 has been very reliable. Never spent much for my shotguns as I've never had the money to throw around.

Another vote for 870. I've never shot a 500, but I can tell you I've never had any problems with any of the 870s I've used. Built solid as a rock. If you don't need anything super fancy, it's a great gun.

Hunting, trap shooting etal, the sky is the limit and the choices in the replies are fine. If all you want (and all I wanted) is a home defense shotgun, the Pardner Pump from New England Firearms with 18 inch barrel is an exact 870 knockoff costing less than $200. I even use the 870 manual as my guide for disassembly etal. Fires everytime I have "warmed her up" and there is no reason for me to spend more $$$$ for a firearm destined to, hopefully, never be used.

I had a Mossberg 12 gauge pump back in the 70's. Sometimes it would fire when I ratcheted a shell into it. They could never get it right so i got rid of it. I have been leary of Mossberg ever since then. Especially pumps.

Since you are talking about the Mossberg 500.... does anyone know who makes a magazine extension for it or a larger replacement magazine tube?

Since you are talking about the Mossberg 500.... does anyone know who makes a magazine extension for it or a larger replacement magazine tube?

The model I have is a fixed end so it can not be changed out. I bought one for the Winchester and it is now a 9+1. The Mossberg tactical came as a 5+1. Guy at the gun show acted like I was an idiot when I asked about adding one to the Mossberg. I have read that SOME model are made to allow the addition of a tube extension.

I love my Mossberg 590A1! Fully Parkerized, ghost ring sights, extended magazine tube (9 rounds of 2 3/4 or 7 rounds of 3"), bayonet lug to use an M9 bayonet (gig 'em and blow 'em off the end! It's kind of a zombie thing. LOL)
I keep #4 buck loaded and 3" magnum 00 buck in the side saddle.
I named it Thumper because with the 3"magnums, it does.

I used to have a Browning BPS pump that I loved. It ejects the shells out the bottom which is easy for clean up at the range. You can get one to handle the 3.5inch shells for hunting/home defense. Great solid all around pump.

Buds has a mossberg shipped for like $280 if you just want a cheap one for putting next to the bed.

Another vote for the 870, if I go bird hunting, on goes the long barrel, deer hunting? on goes the rifled slug barrel if I want it. When I'm back at the house on goes the short barrel. As mentioned in other posts, many accessories, simple, versatile, goes bang when you pull the trigger. Very easy to shoulder. Very simple to disassemble and clean. Easy to carry in the field. The 870 ROCKS.

All the suggestions here are good, but I'm left-handed, so I use an Ithaca 37 because it ejects from the bottom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back