Looking to buy a shotgun for Home Defense. Any Suggestions??

KillerArchitect

Looking at Benelli SuperNova and Remington 887 Nitro Mag. Anyone have experience with either of these guns?

Look into the Remington 870 express. Best shotgun for the money. I have two 870's and would not trade them for anything. Very reliable. Benellis are overpriced I think

Benelli's are sweet shotguns, but as RockyTop stated, they are usually overpriced.

I would kook into a Mossberg.
More bang for your bucks i.m.h.o.
~Good Luck & Stay Safe~

Looking at Benelli SuperNova and Remington 887 Nitro Mag. Anyone have experience with either of these guns?

That 887 is probably overkill. I assume you're looking at the tactical version because the other versions are a little long for optimum home defense.

Rem 870s or Mossy 500s will fit the bill. They're inexpensive as well. Benelli's are great but unless you're into competition shooting, why bother spending that much money.

Only shotgun I've got is my old 870 riot gun, it's home defense duties were replaced long ago with an AR 15.

I've been looking for a Saiga semi-auto in .410. Want the 18.5 " barrel, but it seems to be a hard one to find. This is one cool looking gun, ( love AK variants ). With a 10 rd. mag, I feel it would be an awesome HD gun.

For home defense, as others have said, you can keep it simple and fairly inexpensive with the Moss 500 or the Rem 870.

Now if you just want a nice "toy" that you can justify having because of Home Defense - the sky and your wallet are the limit :)

Last edited:
I have an 870 Express (3", 12 ga) with a pistol-grip stock. I like it a lot.

The Mossbergs are nice too.

I have a Mossberg model 500 pump action in 410 bore. Its one of the best guns I ever had. A 410 is very good for home defence. You cau get many kinds of ammo including birdshot, 00buckshot, 000buckshot. A 3 inch000 buckstot round has 5 projectiles with each projectile having the energy of a 38 special meaning one round has over 1000 pounds of muzzle energy, more than a 41 magnum. A slug develops 600-800 pounds of muzzle energy which is at or exceeds a 357 magnum. The projectile penetration is the same as a 12 gauge. Ammunition is common, but to save money I load my own. A 12 gauge has more recoil than a 410 so there is more recovery time between shots vs a 410 bore. To those that make fun af a 410, think of the damage being hit with 3-4-5 00 buckshot would do. Also Winchester has a 410 round called 'Stop The Threat' which has 3 disks and 12 BBs. Then there are many people including myself that due to health reasons cant tolerate heavy recoil from a 12 gauge. There are many people who say that bigger is better, but thats not always true. Try a 410 pump. It may not be a 300 yard weapon but under 100 yards its deadly. Imagine at home defence distances how quick a BG will stop when he(she) is hit with 000 buckshot.

Both are sweet guns and carry a nice price tag. You already know this I hope. I found the Remington a little cheaper to customize but if you have the right connections can customize the benelli for not much more. It's Gunna come down to feel and what you like the best ultimately. Hope this helps.

shotgun for home defense

The Mossberg 500 pistol grip 18.5 in barrel. There is nothing more intimidating than the sound of that click when you slide a round into the ready! I have sold quite a few, and if you have a wife at home its easier to just have that sound and a very easy to aim and handle firearm that is the ultimate Home protection. If you have to shoot, and i hope you never will, your aim has a little more room so your shot doesnt have to be perfect to get your point across!

Link Removed

Simple and effective... Remington 870... Save the cash for ammo and training for practical shotgun technique...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back