Lever action 30-30? Or a 30-06?

S&WM&P40

I have been wanting a lever action gun for years now but cant make up my mind. I have read reviews where people say the 30-30 round is only good for deer hunting and not much more. Is this true? Would I be better off with a 30-06 lever action or bolt action?

:pleasantry: The ballistics of the 30-06 are better than a 30-30. For example using certain loads a 30-30 would give you a maximim of about 1900 pounds of muzzele energy. The 30-06 on the otherhand might give you up to 3000 pounds of muzzle energy depending on loads used. The 30-06 also has a straighter tragectory than the 30-30. In my opinion a 30-30 is good for deer and adequate for anything up to a black bear(NOT GRIZZLIES) but a 30-06 is far superior for any bear. As far as wanting a lever-action versus a bolt or automatic that is a matter of personal preference. Im not sure who or if anyone makes a lever-action 30-06. If you want a lever action thats capable for any North American game and has several loadings available try a Marlin 45-70 lever-action. Has a bit of recoil though. By the way after wanting a lever gun for decades my sweet loving wife of 37 years finally bought me one 2 years ago. Its a Henry 22lr and is a blast (no pun intended) to shoot.

I love my Marlin 30-30, but then, the deer aren't more than 100 yds out and usually within 50, so it's great for hunting them. I'd probably even be tempted to take it hog hunting if I ever get a chance to go. The shorter barrel is very handy in the brush.

But I agree, if you're wanting a more one-for-all cartridge (like say for Elk), then you're going to need more. The 45-70 is definitely a good option in a lever or 30-06 or 308 in bolt action.

LOL, give you three guesses on what I prefer. My son loves his 30-30 and rightfully so. They have killed more deer than any other round-mostly because it has been around "forever". I have hunted with an '06 for about thirty five years and have not fired at anything "out of range". I zero at 220 yds-that way I can "Kentucky Windage" very easily up or down. An '06 can be loaded with a vast variety of projectiles from 55 "accelarators" to 200+ I like 150 grain "Silvertips" for deer-they do well. A 30/30 starts dropping radically over 100+ yds so you need to know your range accurately. My favorite shooter is an '03 Springfield-finally replaced it with a 77 Ruger that I like almost as well.

I have used and liked both. I mainly use the .30-30. However, I live in hilly woodland areas and a shot over 100 yards is very iffy due to the layout of the land and brush. I use it because it is more compact and a little lighter than some other rifles. I would venture a guess that in this part of West Virginia it has probably killed more whitetail than any other caliber. I have known some people that have used it for black bear and even wild "hawg." (I wouldn't, but I am not that adventerous.) While I like bolt actions, the lever (for me) is a little easier for a follow up shot as I can work it a little faster without loosing my target in the scope.

If you go with the lever .30-30 and want to use a scope, I would go with the Marlin 336. It ejects from the side unlike the Winchester 94's I have seen.(The 94 is a great rifle for open sights.) The only problem I have had with the Marlin is the loading gate screw will back out. A little loctite fixed mine and it is a great shooter.

If you want a lever gun with more "umpf", you can get the 336 in .444 Marlin. I don't know the ballistics, but it will literally knock a whitetail on its behind.

If you plan to have the ability to shoot more that 100 yds, I would go with the .30-06. The action would be your personal choice.

Hope my 2 cents helps. Good to write to you again.

Lever action .30-06, got me curious, so I just did some checking. Looks like it is available from Browning.

Lever action .30-06, got me curious, so I just did some checking. Looks like it is available from Browning.

:pleasantry::pleasantry::pleasantry: A lever action in 30-06? Ive been wanting that since high school back in 1973. Mabye if I suck up to my sweet, loving, caring, wonderful, pretty wife she will buy one for my birthday in August. Or am I laying it on too thick.

I have used and liked both. I mainly use the .30-30. However, I live in hilly woodland areas and a shot over 100 yards is very iffy due to the layout of the land and brush. I use it because it is more compact and a little lighter than some other rifles. I would venture a guess that in this part of West Virginia it has probably killed more whitetail than any other caliber. I have known some people that have used it for black bear and even wild "hawg." (I wouldn't, but I am not that adventerous.) While I like bolt actions, the lever (for me) is a little easier for a follow up shot as I can work it a little faster without loosing my target in the scope.

If you go with the lever .30-30 and want to use a scope, I would go with the Marlin 336. It ejects from the side unlike the Winchester 94's I have seen.(The 94 is a great rifle for open sights.) The only problem I have had with the Marlin is the loading gate screw will back out. A little loctite fixed mine and it is a great shooter.

If you want a lever gun with more "umpf", you can get the 336 in .444 Marlin. I don't know the ballistics, but it will literally knock a whitetail on its behind.

If you plan to have the ability to shoot more that 100 yds, I would go with the .30-06. The action would be your personal choice.

Hope my 2 cents helps. Good to write to you again.

I just want a all around firearm for SHTF. If and when it happens my familys plan is to go to the woods. So I want someting that can hunt just about everything,short of big foot lol(joking about the big foot thing).

I just want a all around firearm for SHTF. If and when it happens my familys plan is to go to the woods. So I want someting that can hunt just about everything,short of big foot lol(joking about the big foot thing).

That's a good one on Bigfoot.

You never know what you will find in the woods and you had better have enough gun. Up until last summer, I would have said you were crazy if you said you'd seen an alligator in West Virginia. The DNR (WV's Fish and Game) killed an adult one about 20 miles from my house next to a lake! They said it had been here at least two years. How it survived the winters, I don't know.

The .30-06 would be a good choice for an all around go to gun for about anything close or farther out.
Hmmm. I'm going so start looking for one in lever action too.

The Wife:big_boss: is gonna love it. I found the best way to deal with her is to present a fait accompli.

The '06 has a lot of its superior ballistics as a result of its bullet shape. Stick an '06 style pointy bullet in the feed tube of a lever action and the recoil from one round can fire off the waiting bullets in the tube when the point of one bullet strikes the primer of the bullet ahead of it during the inertia of recoil. That's why a 30-30 has flat nose rounds.

I am just now getting back into shooting and didn't know there was a lever action 30-06... and guess technology in the last decade has produced a fix for this. Please educate me. If I could go deer hunting with a short barrel lever action that safely holds a tube full of -06's in the stack I'm sold!

I don't know anything about the 30-06, but Hornady has a new bullet for levers called the Leverevolution. I haven't tried them yet, but have some boxes to try. Pointy bullet using a polymer tip, a bit hotter of a load. I've read of guys dropping deer at 200 yds with them in 30-30.

A .30-30 lever action would be of such limited utility to me that it couldn't possibly be worth the money. I hunt PERHAPS every 2-3 years, and before a few years ago, I hadn't hunted in 30 years.

I've got a Savage 112BVSS in .30-06. I can use that gun for the reason why I bought it, namely 600 and 1,000 yard competition. I can use it for varmint hunting. I can use it for deer, bear and elk.

The .30-30 I can use ONLY for hunting, and of mostly deer sized animals at relatively close range, something I may do every 2-3 years if I'm lucky. I could plink with a .30-30, but even reloading, it's cheaper to do with my AR-15.

A .30-30 would mostly be a waste of money for me.

Due to limited secure storage capability and limited time to spend maintaining weapons, I long ago decided to limit myself to 1 high power rifle. I have a bolt action Mossberg 100ATR in 30-06.

There is no large animal in this part of the country (Tennessee) that I can't match ammo and range for hunting within the 30-06 platform.

.308 runs close second but loses out at heavier bullet end. (We have planted Elk for future hunting here in TN.)

You can find rifles in Lever, Bolt and semi-auto.

Yep

1) Browning BLR Lightweight 81 Rifle .30-06 $748

Link Removed

or pistol grip
browning_BLR.jpg

I was going to add that I have a 303 British that is quite adequate for North America. The bullet weight goes from 130 to 220. The recoil is acceptable and the Enfield I own is reliable. It holds 10 rounds. The lever guns in the post before this one make me get the 'Iwants'. But the wife(boss) says mabye I can get one when pigs fly. Anyone have some feathers?

If I were going to use the rifle for mainly hunting, then I would go with the .30-06 in a bolt gun. If I were looking for a urban/self defense rifle, then I would go with the .30-30 in a lever configuration. I can work a lever, and stay on target, much faster than I can a bolt. Also, I don't think any one of us would argue that a .30-30, from zero to 175 yards, would have no problem of putting a man down and keeping him down. JMHO.

The '06 has a lot of its superior ballistics as a result of its bullet shape. Stick an '06 style pointy bullet in the feed tube of a lever action and the recoil from one round can fire off the waiting bullets in the tube when the point of one bullet strikes the primer of the bullet ahead of it during the inertia of recoil. That's why a 30-30 has flat nose rounds.

I am just now getting back into shooting and didn't know there was a lever action 30-06... and guess technology in the last decade has produced a fix for this. Please educate me. If I could go deer hunting with a short barrel lever action that safely holds a tube full of -06's in the stack I'm sold!

Browning BLR Lightweight 81 Rifle .30-06 20in 4rd Walnut 034006126

Historical Model 1895 Grade I Lever Action .30-06 Springfield 24

The list goes on and on....

I think you should "split the difference," and get a Browning BLR in .308 Winchester. I've daydreamed about one of those for decades.

Lever gun.

Shorter throw than the Winchester or Marlin.

Excellent .308 cartridge (might want to shoot some military 7.62x51 if TSTF).

Detachable box magazine (great if you hunt where loaded guns are illegal in the car; keep the magazine on the dash). You can buy spares.

Strong and accurate, high quality gun.

I did once have a Savage 99 in .308 but those always have rough triggers. Good rifle, though.

Unless you're into really heavy bullets, the .308 is ballistically pretty darned close to a .30-06 with modern loadings. It's a lot more than a .30-30. So you'll get a powerful, accurate cartridge that has many loadings available, and you can still have your lever gun fun. :biggrin:

I don't know anything about ballistics but you definitely have to love the classic 30 30 cowboy gun. Everything about it is beautiful!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back