LEO Encounter on my property...

NavyLCDR:270382 said:
Uhoh,
defender829. You know what that makes you to a lot of other people on this forum, right?

Link Removed

Yeah, right! And so very uncharacteristic of me to not go diving through the open window with guns blazing!

It was never a question. I made a statement. My statements are not required to be made in answer to questions.

Tell you what, Rich_S, next time I'll do it your way. I will retreat into my house, lock the doors, look up the non-emergency number to the sheriff's office at 6:00am. Then I will call them and tell them I am locked in my house, that I am armed, give them a description of myself and my family members, and then tell them there is no need to hurry because this all is because there is an unknown SUV in my driveway, which I would not know was occupied by anyone human or animal or not. Then when the police arrive I will greet them with my hands held high, with my Washington CPL and military ID in one hand at the ready, tell them the gun is under my shirt on my right side and tell the officer I completely understand if he wishes to take it from me for his safety, and feel free to call in the serial number of the gun, while he is there, just to make sure it isn't stolen. Wouldn't want to waste a trip.

Oh, and I will have my wallet, and maybe some of my wife's jewelry at hand in case there does happen to be a criminal present and I can just give those to them so they will leave.

:secret: Not going to happen.

LMFAO- like I said....you really can't handle someone telling you that you don't know it all.

I called 911 Monday because of a trespasser.
My wife and mother-in-law had just returned from a trip, and said they thought they had seen someone on the front porch of a nearby vacant house of ours. I was OCing, and I stuck another pistol in my pocket, and went to investigate.
I did not see anybody at the house, but a window was open.
My first inclination was to enter the house myself, but opted instead to call 911.
When a couple of sheriff deputies arrived, I failed to notify them I was carrying! YIKES! I used my shirt tail cover the guns, initially. While we were moving about the property, I kept a hand on one gun, with it partly withdrawn. The deputies (three of them now) very professionally inspected the property, with pistols in hand, and determined the intruder had was no longer there.
The next day (yesterday), I happened on a traffic checkpoint that was being manned by some of these same deputies. One of them greeted me very warmly and said they were checking driver's licenses. Before I could finish pulling mine out, he said "That's good sir, you can go!". YIKES! I failed to notify I was carrying AGAIN! Am I a miserable creature for putting these officers' lives in such grave danger?

Good call not to enter the house. Cops don't clear houses by themselves. As you can said three were on scene. There's a reason for that. Why would you inform unless required by law?

I'm not on this site often but i have to say you are wrong on your assertion that conceal carry is a priviledge an not a right.......It is absolutly a right.....each state has just decided to make it a law to conceal carry.No where in the constitution does it say its a priviledge,it stated you have the "RIGHT" to bare arms,and no where does it say as long as you have the states permission.

Say what you will about what i posted,but thats whats wrong with out nation,people thinking everything is a privilidge,when in fact it's your right......Guns included.

I don't come here much, but, from the few topics I have read and commented on, the members here seem like a pretty level-headed group, not like other forums where 'my **** is bigger than yours' seems to be the subject du jour.

Until now. Do you really think it necessary to nit-pick at everything down to the freakin ATOMIC level?

I am not joining the discussion here, because I admit my ignorance on the subject of carry laws in other states. However, I will comment that some members of this board seem to have a little too much of their egos tied up in this thread.

Everyone, please chill. We are 'like-minded' individuals here, not adversaries.

Be smart. Be safe.

This was a situation regarding confronting an intruder. Many serious mistakes were made. The OP is lucky it ended the way it did. I posted about them. If you don't like it don't read it and leave the thread.

LMFAO- like I said....you really can't handle someone telling you that you don't know it all.

So says the guy that knows it all.

Moving on from the troll.......

I don't know that I would identify an unknown car parked there as being as much of a threat that would require me to retreat to my house. That early a car would arouse my curiosity, movement would concern me, someone in the car would get my undivided attention, but, I don't see myself retreating to my house without some sort of provocation that would warrant it. That being said where I live is very different than where Navy lives so its apples and oranges.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I don't know that I would identify an unknown car parked there as being as much of a threat that would require me to retreat to my house. That early a car would arouse my curiosity, movement would concern me, someone in the car would get my undivided attention, but, I don't see myself retreating to my house without some sort of provocation that would warrant it. That being said where I live is very different than where Navy lives so its apples and oranges.

Do you live in an urban city? I live on the edge of a small town, but I am about 2 miles from I-5 that runs from Vancouver to Seattle. I would imagine there is probably a bit of criminal transportation that goes on between those two cities. My biggest threat is coyotes in my back yard. Your paragraph above describes my feelings exactly.

So says the guy that knows it all.

Moving on from the troll.......

Quote what I've said here that's wrong.

This was a situation regarding confronting an intruder. Many serious mistakes were made. The OP is lucky it ended the way it did. I posted about them. If you don't like it don't read it and leave the thread.

How did I know you were going to answer like this? :D

Do you live in an urban city? I live on the edge of a small town, but I am about 2 miles from I-5 that runs from Vancouver to Seattle. I would imagine there is probably a bit of criminal transportation that goes on between those two cities. My biggest threat is coyotes in my back yard. Your paragraph above describes my feelings exactly.

I am on the edge of a "small town" that butts up against a larger town that butts up against a larger town.... Urban sprawl at its best. The houses are much closer together than what you are. We get mule deer daily and the occasional mountain lion in the neighborhood. If you go to the east a mile the elevation goes from around 5000 feet to close to 9000 feet. Same thing a few miles to the north. Since we are tucked into a corner by the mountains it is pretty quiet. That and the fact that I live at the end of one of our two lane "major thoroughfares" and it is a straight shot to the police department, my neighborhood has a very safe feeling to it. Like I said apples and oranges.

Rich_S:270411 said:
Uhoh, defender829. You know what that makes you to a lot of other people on this forum, right?

Link Removed

It makes him smarter than you. He knew not to enter a potentially dangerous situation.

He never entered the house like navy never entered the car. So what's the difference? Both started to investigate and backed away to call 911.

Admittedly, I do a lot more lurking and reading than posting, but this thread gave me a chuckle. This guys shouldn't own a firearm if he doesn't know how and when to use it properly, how to make a proper 911 call and follow basic common sense afterwards, or knows when concealed is concealed. Sorry, but it just sounds to me like someone wants to boast. The other thread pretty much solidified that assumption. This was far from an "encounter".

Why did you post 2 threads about this same story ? Just wondering

Because there are two distinct and separate phases to the encounter. 1. Dealing with a strange vehicle on the property. 2. Relating to the Sheriff deputy when he arrived, 10-15 minutes AFTER the strange vehicle was removed from the property.

Admittedly, I do a lot more lurking and reading than posting, but this thread gave me a chuckle. This guys shouldn't own a firearm if he doesn't know how and when to use it properly, how to make a proper 911 call and follow basic common sense afterwards, or knows when concealed is concealed. Sorry, but it just sounds to me like someone wants to boast. The other thread pretty much solidified that assumption. This was far from an "encounter".

So what would you have done, genius?

Well, first off tough guy, I wouldn't have TEXTED my wife in the house. I would have CALLED her and told her to be ALERT. If I co-owned a driveway with someone else, I would have then returned to the house and called the sheriff's department (NOT 911) and asked them to please send a patrol as soon as possible and would have explained the situation further regarding the unknown auto in my SHARED driveway with a DOG INSIDE. Lastly, I would have PROTECTED MY WIFE IN THE HOUSE UNTIL SAID PATROL ARRIVED.

Is that clear enough for you? If not, allow me to shine some light on the true subject of your actions. You were looking for a reason to use your gun.

It's replies like yours that are the reason I keep myself from responding to some of this nonsense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back