Learn a martial art!

tricolordad

Banned
There's lots of posts regarding backup weapons. Guns, tasers, OC spray, leather clappers, kubotons, tactical pens...nobody seems to want to talk about martial arts.

Why not? It's so easy that my 4 year old daughter can do it! Don't believe me? She's quiet, meek, and never bothers anybody. She's tall and lightweight for her age. Up until last week, she was being bullied constantly at head start. She took it all without so much as a whisper of complaint. That all changed within 4 days, She's a white belt in a mixed martial art, Kyuki-Do. Though still shy, she can wrench her hand from even MY grasp and, yes, she breaks boards.

You watch the movies, fantasize about using Karate to defend yourself...why not google 'martial arts' and your zip code? There are plenty of options out there. I have stated before that I take Shorinryu Karate for $85. Heard of Okinawan Karate? That's what it is. Before you complain about the price, look at that Kimber or STI, or that set of twin Bersas you take to the range twice a month. Look at you AR-15 before you tell me you can't spare the money. You can afford to throw two or three boxes down the range and still have a full magazine for EDC and intruders. Lessons won't set you back too much.

Take a look around though. There are MMA gyms that will charge you thousands of dollars to teach you point-based tournament style martial arts. That will get you hurt or KILLED on the street, even if it is a fun and rewarding sport. (No offense to you MMA guys and gals...). Be careful what you get into. Go in and talk to the instructors. Mine are father and son, both are 3d dan (degree) in Karate, and the son, at 38 years old, is an 8th dan in Kobudo. Ask them what heir experience is, what they teach and most importantly, HOW it will benefit you.

Just a bit of what to watch out for...... if they go UP to get the head, it is not practical on the street.

Quit your fantasizing, procrastinating and bitching and go join a dojo! You'd be surprised at how something so violent can be so relaxing!

I always wanted to get involved in the sport but when I was younger I smoked and was out of shape. I took karate for 3 weeks but I just couldn't quit smoking or maybe I didn't really want to at the time. Now 30 years later I no longer smoke but have become so out of shape I would probably have a heart attack if I got involved with it. I would love to take kung-fu because it seems to be a very fluid moving art or maybe krav maga who knows. All it takes is money right? I wish I had some to spend. Maybe once I get employed again I'll look into it.

Couldn't agree more. I have a 1st degree black belt in Shotokan Karate, 2nd degree black belt in Yoshinryu Jujitsu, and a green belt in Judo. Very glad I put in the time and effort.

I always wanted to get involved in the sport but when I was younger I smoked and was out of shape. I took karate for 3 weeks but I just couldn't quit smoking or maybe I didn't really want to at the time. Now 30 years later I no longer smoke but have become so out of shape I would probably have a heart attack if I got involved with it. I would love to take kung-fu because it seems to be a very fluid moving art or maybe krav maga who knows. All it takes is money right? I wish I had some to spend. Maybe once I get employed again I'll look into it.
If you can get some medical advice, I am sure a respectable dojo would work with you on the hours. One of the ultimate goals in Karate is maximizing your potential. It's a great weight loss program. It doesn't just strengthen the body, it helps to quicken the mind as well! You'll make some good friends at the dojo too. Good luck with the job hunt!

Couldn't agree more. I have a 1st degree black belt in Shotokan Karate, 2nd degree black belt in Yoshinryu Jujitsu, and a green belt in Judo. Very glad I put in the time and effort.
Nice! That's a life well spent! I have a junior black in TaeKwon Do but it isn't the same as Karate and not so practical on the street. I'm waiting to see if it's true that you only begin to learn once you get your black belt. I'll let you know in 10 years lol

That's great. One thing about this if you have this training you don't have to worry about breaking any laws with a weapon, and you will never forget it at home as you would a concealed weapon. If you are in a confrontation you can neutralize the attacker and leave the area. Great alternative to self defense.

Krav maga. Or take a class in improvised weapons. Almost anything can be used as a weapon. Consider pens, belts, straps, water bottles, even a rolled magazine.

That's great. One thing about this if you have this training you don't have to worry about breaking any laws with a weapon, and you will never forget it at home as you would a concealed weapon. If you are in a confrontation you can neutralize the attacker and leave the area. Great alternative to self defense.
In a perfect world, yes. But be prepared to get dirty.

Not true. Having the power to deal crippling and possibly deadly force makes you liable for anything you do. The DA would love to say that the elbow break, pivot and throw followed with a palm heel to the forehead (because he pulled a knife out of his hoodie) that ultimately caused fatal head trauma when his nose was smashed and his head struck the pavement was an unnecessary and unjustifiable escelation of force and that you were just a juiced up thug waiting for a potential victim to use your feudalistic killin art on. This is how they make their careers. Ethics and moral character has never had anything to do with prosecuting "criminals." Look at the number of people on death row in Texas. I bet about half of them were justified or are innocent. Even a quick flying back kick and broken jaw to a would be mugger or rapist can get you arrested. This is why cops "detain" people and jail them without charging them. They're holding you without proof of a crime being committed just to see if the DA thinks he can fabricate or twist enough truth to charge you. I hope you use better judgment with your carry than you showed with that statement about martial arts.

That must be one hell of a hybrid style! I'd love to learn some of the jujitsu sweeps but we don't have anywhere to learn them, closest place is about 400 miles away. Most places are McDojos or Japanese style and the deep stances and mechanical motions aren't really my cup of tea anymore (compare literal application of TKD vs Karate and you'll know what I mean.) A senior student at our dojo has is a 3rd dan in Shorin Ryu, 1st dan in some form of Judo, knows all the original Shuri-Te katas (Sensei Chibana) and just picked up Aikido. I doubt he will gain 200 pounds with every belt level though lol Sparring him means that you're going to get hit in the face a lot. There's really nothing you can do about it but learn how to bluff somebody who knew what you were thinking about a week in advance and hope your self control gives you time to outsmart him.

As part of boot camp, we were introduced to some judo, I had some martial arts instruction when I was in my early teens, and some other training throughout the years...My best move I learned as a lifeguard, about how to get your arm/wrist out of someone's grasp...So simple, I taught my 12-year-old daughter how to do it, and she can even escape from MY grasp with it...The ONLY thing I would caution about M/A training is to be VERY careful you DON'T develop an "I'm invincible!!" attitude, ESPECIALLY after a few lessons, or you get your first ranking...That is a VERY QUICK way to get HURT!!!!

The ONLY thing I would caution about M/A training is to be VERY careful you DON'T develop an "I'm invincible!!" attitude, ESPECIALLY after a few lessons, or you get your first ranking...That is a VERY QUICK way to get HURT!!!!
Hahahahahaha! It's funny you mention that because we have a black belt who acts like he's the toughest SOB to ever walk the planet but regularly bows out early because he can't take even a love tap. We have/had?? (nobody is sure if he dropped out) a 7th kyu who had never been in a fight in his 40-some years that took a few jabs and a back kick to the ribs and then proceeded to give him a slow speed roundhouse and Mr. Sempai in your eye had to bow out. Still laughing about it after 7 months.

He also has this ridiculous kiai and growls out "ichi, ni, san.." during warmups. He gets mad at me because I start laughing every time he does it but I literally can't help it because it's freakin funny.

I'm old, have limited stamina due to other issues.

But a pretty good shot.

Sent from my ADR6400L using USA Carry mobile app

I answered this on another forum. I have special skills....I am a MASTER OF " NO KANDU,"

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

learn to curl up your toes, so that when you kick, you don't hurt yourself. The main reason guys wrassle. on MMA, is they don't want to be hurt or hurt the other guy, realistic blows mean broken collar bones and ribs, and that means no more money for 6 months to a year, from fights at least. :) There are many gentleman's agreements in MMA, in addition to the rules. ALL favor the grappler, at the expense of the striker.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back