late at night..flashlight or natural night vision

Lakeland Man

This came to my mind after reading an article about "things that go bump in the night". The author heard something in the middle of the night. He grabbed his gun and flashlight and went to the top of the stairs.

Now, I only speak for myself. But in the middle of the night, when I've been awakened by a noise, I don't even consider getting a flashlight. Here's why...

Between streetlights, nightlights, appliance lights, and the occasional accent light, my house has enough light to enable me to see quite well when my eyes have adjusted to the dark.

I am intimately familiar with the layout of my house and the placement of the furniture. I don't need a flashlight to navigate in the house.

Because of my familiarity with the environment, I feel that a flashlight "gives my position away" to a potential intruder. If armed, they only need to shoot at the light to improve their chance of hitting me.

If I were in unfamiliar territory, I would (and have) relied on a flashlight to make my way. I have cleared buildings with a flashlight and a pistol in the past, but those were different circumstances.

I invite you all to chime in on this topic. Please try to keep the "what if" scenarios to a minimum. You could introduce kids, pets, house guests and who knows what else into the situation. There is no single correct answer that fits every possibility.

What say you?

I am always using a flashlight. I never read of a story where a defender got killed because they were using a flashlight and the attacker shot at the light and killed the defender. I've read too many stories where the defender shot their wife, kid, pet accidentally.

I would use a light. I keep a TLR1s on my weapon for night time occasions at home and at work. You never know who youre aiming at, especially when you wake up in the middle of the night and youre still groggy. Just my preference

Separate flashlight. Not as much light out in the country, especially on a rainy or cloudy night. No streetlights, no lights on the appliances at night, small night light only in the bathroom for the grand daughter. So for me, a good flashlight on the nightstand next to the bed.
I prefer the light separate from the weapon so I don't point a weapon at a loved one when first waking up.

If I were investigating a noise within my home, my first order of business would be to be sure of where my family was. This is easy for me, since it is just my wife and I. My wife would have her handgun and stay in the bedroom. I do have a flashlight on my nightstand and I would retrieve it along with my firearm. I would not use the flashlight except to aim in and then it would be off as quickly as it was on. A flashlight can be a target, therefore I use it sparingly. I concur with the OP, that I can navigate my house with the ambient light that is around. After investigating, I would call to my wife that there is an all clear and I'm coming back into the bedroom. That is the plan that we have laid out for our home.

Is this question in relation to the Jason Hanson article in which he stood at the top of the steps as a perfect target for any armed assailant shining his light down the stairs to give away his position? http://www.usacarry.com/how-handle-loud-thud-night/

I think it’s situation dependent. I happen to have better night vision than Dracula and I almost never use a flashlight no matter where I’m at. In my home I can step out the bedroom door and cover 2/3 of the house. And the lights from the car port would backlight anyone in that space.

That said, a flashlight can also be used to blind an intruder and I would consider it for that.

Finally, I’ve read enough of Jason Hanson’s articles to be 100% convinced he is a poser of TCD proportions

This came to my mind after reading an article about "things that go bump in the night". The author heard something in the middle of the night. He grabbed his gun and flashlight and went to the top of the stairs.

Now, I only speak for myself. But in the middle of the night, when I've been awakened by a noise, I don't even consider getting a flashlight. Here's why...

Between streetlights, nightlights, appliance lights, and the occasional accent light, my house has enough light to enable me to see quite well when my eyes have adjusted to the dark.

I am intimately familiar with the layout of my house and the placement of the furniture. I don't need a flashlight to navigate in the house.

Because of my familiarity with the environment, I feel that a flashlight "gives my position away" to a potential intruder. If armed, they only need to shoot at the light to improve their chance of hitting me.

If I were in unfamiliar territory, I would (and have) relied on a flashlight to make my way. I have cleared buildings with a flashlight and a pistol in the past, but those were different circumstances.

I invite you all to chime in on this topic. Please try to keep the "what if" scenarios to a minimum. You could introduce kids, pets, house guests and who knows what else into the situation. There is no single correct answer that fits every possibility.

What say you?

I agree with you...
Inside of my own home, in the middle of the night, I'm very familiar with my surroundings (and so is my loyal german shepherd)...
Between my loyal companion and my trusty firearms, my flashlight is not my first 'go to' tool.
I would prefer to 'light up' any home intruder with muzzle flash if I ever needed to (God forbid).
But I do have a flashlight that's mounted onto my Mossberg just in case I cannot make out some shadowy looking figure.

Another tool to use accordingly

It is great to know your layout and understand what light you have available at night in your home. Keep in mind light doesn't bend around corners so there will be dark or blind spots if you will that will need to be illuminated for safeties sake. That said just because you pick up a flashlight along with your weapon doesn't mean you are going to light it up and expose you location all the time. Being aware of what you are trying to accomplish and having the lay of the land to your advantage a quick flash of light in a suspected direction will startle an intruder and could cause him to make a noise giving you another advantage if you listen well. I'm just saying that a light used properly is another tool and can assist in the moment of need.

I think it’s situation dependent. I happen to have better night vision than Dracula and I almost never use a flashlight no matter where I’m at. In my home I can step out the bedroom door and cover 2/3 of the house. And the lights from the car port would backlight anyone in that space.

That said, a flashlight can also be used to blind an intruder and I would consider it for that.

+1

Really depends on the circumstance. you can use the taclite as much as a weapon as the gun.

I keep my house as dark as possible during the night. (This means no night lights or any other type lighting inside.) The lighting outside makes it difficult for anyone to see into the house from outside; while strategically opened blinds allow me to see outside from a darkened house. I do have a flashlight. But, it's only to help me gain the advantage and not for lighting the way.

-

For me the main use for a flashlight is to identify your target. Is it the neighbor kid that has snuck in to see one of your kids? Your kid sneaking in late? The spouse tripping over the rug on the way back from the fridge? The normal night light in my house would tell that I had an intruder but probably not who it was. Also if you have a light shined in your eyes you will find that your night vision goes to hell fast ever if you are Dracula.

Remember, if you can see inside your house from the available ambient light, so can an intruder. By spotlighting the intruder, you take away his current ability to focus on you in the ambient light. His chances of hitting you with any weapon is reduced, since he cannot readily focus his eyes to the change in light. By holding your light in one hand and your weapon in the other, you are able to hold your light at arms length away from your position. Should he shoot at the light source, you have minimized his chance of hitting you, while giving yourself full opportunity to drop him where he stands. Have a family member shine a light at you once your eyes have adjusted to the ambient light for a second, and then turn it off, and you will see exactly what I mean. My vote - flashlight. Almost forgot, don't wear white to sleep in, if you wear anything. Always sleep in dark colored t-shirts or pajamas, for the same reason - harder to see you in the dark using ambient light.

Last edited:
It's only my wife and I and if shes not in bed when I get woken up, I would be even more careful than usual to identify my target before firing.

My reasoning on the flashlight making you a target is this...if I were a bad guy, and not really concerned with "collateral damage" I might be inclined to just send a lot of lead flying in the direction of the flashlight. As the homeowner, I am going to be a little more concerned with what/who I'm shooting at, the location of loved ones or animals, and what's behind my target. I would imagine bad guys don't care so much about those things.

I use the flashlight on the end of my shotgun. I have kids, and while its rare that they move around at night, it happens and will continue to happen. We have an emergency plan in effect and they know to move to the designated area.

Still gurgling treo? Funny how the "man" with a picture of a cartoon preteen girl as his avatar is calling other people names. How manly. Does you mommy know you're on the internet?

What say you?

I absolutely agree with everything you said. My only known advantage in my house is the fact that it is my house. My only other advantage is my strategy that keeps my bedroom door locked and backed up with a door stopper and the door will not be opened by me to "clear" the house (only my wife and I and no children or others, which makes for more difficult decisions). Everything in my house is insured and replaceable--I am also insured but I am not replaceable should the BGs be better at this gun stuff than me; I will not leave my bedroom but go through a prescribed set of procedures that include calling 911, opening garage doors and activating car alarms, going to a defensive position in my bedroom with sight to the door but not from the door to me--all of this while I obtain my semi auto FN 5.7 with its 21 shots and my shotgun with #1 buckshot. I am not about to have a flashlight tell anyone where I am. They will take what they can if 1. they do it before LEOs arrive or 2. they do not try to come into the bedroom. If they try the bedroom and defeat the lock, my only concerns after the fact will be my need to replace the door jam and replace the carpet after the appropriate authorities remove the garbage from my bedroom.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back