Largest size pistol to easily hide IWB

I rotate carry my XDm 4.0 9mm with X5L Viridian in a hidden hybrid holster (IWB/OWB), and my XD-S .45 OWB in a Nate's Custom Holster, and IWB with an N82 pro holster.

I'm 5' 8" and 175 lbs. The XDm is pushing my envelope of IWB carry because it has a long grip. Wear it at 8:30 (I'm a lefty) and the end of the grip tends to poke at my normal conceal shirts, even with max cant, so I wear a size larger. Cool weather OWB with the XDm is no issue with over garments.

Going to get a size larger jeans and try 9:00 carry IWB. That should get the grip protrusion under and below my armpit, where it likely won't show, and get the holster on my hip. I really like the 19 +1 XDm for capacity, and the hidden hybrid holster does a great job spreading that weight.

Carry the XD-S .45 more, with extra magazine, because it disappears under most anything, and is noticeably less iron to tote. Having said that, the XD-S .45 is NOT my range sidearm, but I shoot it very close to my XDm at self-defense distances. The XDm is obviously much better at long range sorties, at least in my old arthritic hands.

I think BUmeddic and others have covered the topic well. At 6'3" and 225lbs I can carry a CZ 75B with a 4.6" bbl at the 4 o'clock IWB position in a Kydex holster while I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. A bit too heavy hence a move to a polymer pistol for comfort, CZ P-07. Roughly the size of a G19 with the same mag capacity and the CZ has interchangeable backstraps too. Another feature I like is the CZ is hammer fired so I can cover the hammer with my thumb when practicing one handed reholstering... Not something you can do with striker fired pistols, particularly if carrying AIWB. :happy:

Link Removed

You can carry IWB whatever you want to carry, it depends on a lot of factors, anything from a NAA revolver to a 500 mag, but it just gets down to how much discomfort you can put up with,

You can carry IWB whatever you want to carry, it depends on a lot of factors, anything from a NAA revolver to a 500 mag, but it just gets down to how much discomfort you can put up with,

Sorry to disagree RG. But, some states do have size rules when it comes to CC. So, some larger guns would be against the law to CC.

-

I wasn't aware of size limitations on CC weapons either, I would be interested in seeing what and where they are. I do agree with RG in that you carry what you are comfortable with. I carry ITW most all the time due to work, and at home primarily because I got used to it. I am a small guy and I have a wide range of pistols from a P938 to a full size 1911 Government Colt. I have CC'd all of them. Granted the 1911 primarily in the winter but can CC in summer but have to be more cautious in my movements to prevent printing. I have experimented with different ways of carrying, IWB and OWB and have a drawer full of holsters trying to find just the right one for me. I am left handed as well and CC in the 8 - 8:30 position so that it is tight against my body because it is the most comfortable for me wearing and drawing, took me a month or so to get used to it while driving but now I have found myself on occasion of reaching back to feel if my sidearm was there. I have realized that there is one definite flaw in the way that I carry however, that being if I was approached from the drivers side by a carjacker for example, I would most like not be able to draw and aim in time. So......now there is a little surprise kept to my right just for BU. Regards.

Sorry to disagree RG. But, some states do have size rules when it comes to CC. So, some larger guns would be against the law to CC.

-
Really, I did not think any state had a caliber limit, I know in some states you have to qualify with each gun you want to carry, but have not seen a size restriction, exactly what states have a gun caliber restriction for CC ???????????

I am 6'1 and around 200 pounds although 175 pounds is a better weight for me. Given that range of weights and my height, what would be the largest pistol that is easily concealed without printing in a good IWB holster?

I like the Springfield Armory XD Subcompacts over the XDS single stacks. I also like S&W M&P, M&Pc and Shield. To add to the list am looking at the Sig Sauer P938.

I like my pinky on the grip and am not sure the P938 will work. Also, I am open to S&W .40 over 9 mm Luger.

This all depends on what you consider to be "hidden". I have seen many pictures people have posted on various gun forums while carrying what they consider as concealed. I am surprised that a lot of these people think of a gun concealed just because something is covering the gun. I don't like the obvious bulges of guns that many consider concealed and they can be spotted a mile away. My idea of concealed is that the gun can't be suspected by a trained eye. I would rather open carry than have obvious bulges under my shirt or pants. I can cover just about any gun and many for some reason considers that as concealed. Printing to me is a bulge even if the outline of a gun is not showing. Different strokes for different folks applies here too I guess.

I consider no bulge as hidden. If my wife can't tell I have it on me, then that is my expectation.

I consider no bulge as hidden. If my wife can't tell I have it on me, then that is my expectation.

My friend carries a Full Size SR1911 in an OWB but wears an untucked button shirt over it. Texas gives you a wide leeway on what they consider Concealed and Brandishing.

I've found that the thickness of the gun is the hardest aspect of concealment (within reason of course). I'm a few inches shorter than you and I often cary a Sprinfgield EMP IWB. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to step up to the commander size, or 4.25" barrel class pistol. At your size and weight, I suspect you'll find the same.

Just received my CHP in the mail last Tuesday. Saturday was my first outing while carrying. Here are photos showing the full size CZ 75B 9mm carried IWB. BTW, I'm 6'3" 225 lbs.

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

I am 6' and 234 pounds and have no trouble with a full size 1911, the single stack grip hides under my shirt just fine in a galco iwb holster.

I am 6'1 and around 200 pounds although 175 pounds is a better weight for me. Given that range of weights and my height, what would be the largest pistol that is easily concealed without printing in a good IWB holster?

I like the Springfield Armory XD Subcompacts over the XDS single stacks. I also like S&W M&P, M&Pc and Shield. To add to the list am looking at the Sig Sauer P938.

I like my pinky on the grip and am not sure the P938 will work. Also, I am open to S&W .40 over 9 mm Luger.

I was smaller than you (6'1" 165) while in college and I could carry a 5" N frame Smith if I used the right holster and it was cool enough to wear a light jacket.

What you can hide is based on what you can get away with wearing to cover it without standing out because you are over dressed.

That London Fog trench coat that's just like Mike Hammer's means you can hide pretty much anything short of a belt fed LMG but it also would make you stand out like a Sherman button at a Georgia picnic when there isn't a cloud in the sky and it's 95 degrees.

Under most circumstances- leaving out sports contests, the beach, etc ...- you ought to be able to wear enough clothes to hide a full sized 4 inch revolver or a full sized service semi auto. Now, how comfortable you will be and how well you will be able to go about whatever tasks you have to do is while you are carrying it a horse of a different color.

I've been packing since Missouri finally got CCW. That's about 7 or 8 years, I think. Didn't take long to figure out that a large full size such as a 1911, doable as it may be is not convenient or very comfortable for my 5'6" frame. A commander length slide and officer size frame is about as big as I get and that's in weather cold enough for a light jacket and that's OWB. Hot weather and it's a J frame Smith or Sig .380 in a pocket holster. Have a Glock 26 carried OWB to fill in the gaps.

I am 6'0" 220lbs and carry my Beretta P96 Brigadier in a Everyday Holster IWB at 4 o'clock. I lost 15lbs before getting my permit so my clothes are perfect it. My wife got me 2 pair s of corderoys that have kinda low wastebands. When I wear those I carry a small .22 in a pocket holster.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back