Lack of tact dejure

alternety

Around 1 PM today I got an email flyer from Gander Mountain announcing "Don't miss out! Largest firearms event of the summer!"

I presume you all know where some of the guns at the Batman screening came from. I tried for about half an hour to contact someone at GM to see if they could stop some of the emails if it was not just some single batch process. There is no way to talk to a human related to GM. We just don't need the appearance of callous disregard at this point in time. We all know it isn't, but the antis have one more thing to rave and rant about. Perception is all they have.

[h=3][/h]

Still not as bad as this:

Aurora massacre: Store uses #Aurora on Twitter to promote dress - latimes.com

After a gunman killed at least 12 people and injured dozens more in Aurora, Colo., early Friday, the word "Aurora" began trending on Twitter. Not long after, online retailer Celeb Boutique wondered in a tweet whether that trend was due to a Kim Kardashian-inspired dress it sells, dubbed the Aurora.

"#Aurora is trending, clearly about our Kim K inspired dress ;)" the tweet said, followed by a link to the product page for the $157 white frock.

Around 1 PM today I got an email flyer from Gander Mountain announcing "Don't miss out! Largest firearms event of the summer!"

I presume you all know where some of the guns at the Batman screening came from. I tried for about half an hour to contact someone at GM to see if they could stop some of the emails if it was not just some single batch process. There is no way to talk to a human related to GM. We just don't need the appearance of callous disregard at this point in time. We all know it isn't, but the antis have one more thing to rave and rant about. Perception is all they have.

Really? Gander Mountain should do what? Shut down because a mad man purchased a gun there legally? They should deprive their customers of sale prices on guns because of it? What does one have to do with the other? We should all cower before the anti-gun lobby because they're going to squeeze all the political capital they can out of this?

If I were in the market for another gun, today would be one of the better days I could have justified the expense. Obviously, there's a lot of crazies out there. I want to be armed at least as good as they are. Except for the apparent explosive booby traps at his apartment, I already am armed better than the psycho though.

Seriously, overly-emotional hysteria over Gander Mountain having a freakin' sale that's probably been planned and advertised for weeks, is not going to help gun owners look like anything but a bunch of wussified morons. Buck up there man.

Blues

I disagree. Spend a bit of time listening what the media says about this sort of thing (previous shootings, Zimmerman, etc.). Where did they get the guns - why anyone could do that. Weakens argument that most criminal use is of illegal guns. A supplier to the perpetrator has no feelings but profit. Magazines highlighted. Each gun identified by caliber. Badger the sellers. BluesStringer; I am trying to think the way the anti-gun people and media view things. How you and I feel about it is not of any consequence in the overall arena. Inflammatory rhetoric by pro-gun people simply widen the gap.

We have what has been presented as the worst shooting in the US. Flying flags at half mast in the entire country. Photos of grieving friends and families. Wait for the funerals. People from the theater saying on national networks that it was unbearably horrific and they never want to see that happen to anyone again. I believe it would be more beneficial to the CCW community to show support and concern rather than "tuff **** about your sensibilities, it's a sale". Many of the population simply does not think the way you and I probably do. I really suspect many will be offended. Or not. I just don't know; but I would not purposly antagonise anyone over it. GM could get ahead of the curve by making a statement in support of the victims, point out that they did nothing wrong in the sales, and that the emails and attendant advertising were in place to launch. Or I could simply be full of crap. We will have some idea in somewhere between a couple of days and a bunch of months.

So you are saying that out of respect GM should stop all of their advertising. What about the chemical company (I am assuming it's fertilizer ) that he use to boobie trap his apartment. What should Hyundai stop selling cars because he used one to drive to the theater. Stop putting the blame on tools and blame the person that did this and ot sounds like the parents knew something. Stay on supporting the victims and blaming the shooter.

The people who should be shamed is the media. They are the ones who exploit events like this. Their 24/7 saturation of speculation, rhetoric, and innuendo only sensationalizes tragedies like this. Not only does the media profit by this, but it also feeds the frenzy of the next potential nut job. In these cases, the media ALWAYS does way more harm than good.

[h=3][/h]

I don't see the issue or why anyone could care. You really wasted time tryijg to contact? Weird.

I put a new stock on my 870 yesterday, should I not have?

Damn! Since there was yet another senseless act of violence, I'm going to change my weekend plans. I'm going to the range to get more practice in!

alternety - Afraid I can't agree with you on this. I believe the others are right on. You do show an emotional sensitivity to the incident as we all should. But what should we do as a result. Not cower in a corner til the 'gun banners' quit ranting. Rather resolve that our 2A rights if extended to the fullest of their original intent could help prevent this type of thing in the future, then act accordingly. But acting like we agree that 'it was the gun' after all, - NOT RIGHT in my opinion!

i haven't heard that he got the guns there, nor do i really care, if they were bought legally.

would you expect the manufacturers of his clothes to stop advertising for a month just because he was wearing their clothes?

the guns didn't kill the people, the kid killed the people.

I disagree. Spend a bit of time listening what the media says about this sort of thing (previous shootings, Zimmerman, etc.).

Why? I can think for myself, and don't need an agenda-driven media to inform those thoughts.

Where did they get the guns - why anyone could do that.

So now we know where the killer got the guns, and still we wonder why anyone could do that. Gander Mountain having a sale has absolutely nothing to do with either of those questions. Total non-sequitur.

Weakens argument that most criminal use is of illegal guns.

How so? It's either a reliable stat or it isn't that most gun crime is committed with illegal guns. I have no idea whether it's a reliable stat or not, because I don't focus on the tools a criminal uses to commit crime, I focus on the criminal and the crime. What if this cretin had stolen those guns? Would you then expect the store or person he stole them from to alter their normal course of business or life so they wouldn't offend the sensibilities of anti-gunners? You can take this meme to the nth degree, and no matter how far you take it, it makes no sense to me.

Besides that, whether or not the argument about illegal guns is weakened, murder is still illegal, so the argument that gun control doesn't work is decidedly strengthened.

A supplier to the perpetrator has no feelings but profit. Magazines highlighted. Each gun identified by caliber. Badger the sellers.

I haven't seen the sellers being badgered, I've only seen the store identified to buttress the media outlets' assertions that the guns were purchased legally. It's been a parenthetical factoid that has gotten less coverage in the reporting I've seen than the few posts devoted to it here. You are the only one to "expose" that Gander Mountain has the "audacity" to hold a sale this weekend that I've seen. It strikes me as rather odd that a participant on a gun forum can somehow connect that meaningless dot when the highly anti-gun, agenda-driven media hasn't mentioned it that I've seen.

BluesStringer; I am trying to think the way the anti-gun people and media view things. How you and I feel about it is not of any consequence in the overall arena. Inflammatory rhetoric by pro-gun people simply widen the gap.

So saying that Gander Mountain is doing nothing wrong by going through with a sale that has likely been planned for weeks is "inflammatory rhetoric?" What are you talking about?

We have what has been presented as the worst shooting in the US.

Presented by an agenda-driven media as such. So?

Photos of grieving friends and families. Wait for the funerals. People from the theater saying on national networks that it was unbearably horrific and they never want to see that happen to anyone again.

Say what??? So Gander Mountain following through with a sale that was planned before the "unbearably horrific" (duh!) event means they want to see it happen again? You are making no sense whatsoever, unless you either agree with the anti-gunners, or you have succumbed to their politically correct clap-trap.

I believe it would be more beneficial to the CCW community to show support and concern rather than "tuff **** about your sensibilities, it's a sale".

Who the Hell said "tough sh!t" about anything? And who on the anti side has said a word about Gander Mountain having a sale.....except for you? I just did a search on "gander mountain having a sale on guns" and guess what? On the first 10 pages of results, there's not one single media link about how offensive or insensitive Gander Mountain is for going through with a pre-planned sale.

Many of the population simply does not think the way you and I probably do. I really suspect many will be offended. Or not. I just don't know;

Obviously.

but I would not purposly antagonise anyone over it.

I'd venture to say this meme is antagonistic to many gun owners and 2nd Amendment proponents and activists. But let's not antagonize the antis? They push an unconstitutional agenda. We push a constitutional agenda. Gander Mountain sells merchandise that supports our agenda. They are not the villain, and succumbing to the antis non-existent pressure to make them out as such is beyond counterproductive to the pro side of the argument.

GM could get ahead of the curve by making a statement in support of the victims, point out that they did nothing wrong in the sales, and that the emails and attendant advertising were in place to launch.

Or they can ignore any phony, agenda-driven tripe that seeks to connect them with the killer's barbarism, and instead help our side get ahead of the curve of the impending Small Arms Treaty that Obama is getting ready to sign next week by making as many guns available at affordable prices as possible to the legal buyers who will continue to flood retailers as they have done since Obama was immaculated!

Or I could simply be full of crap. We will have some idea in somewhere between a couple of days and a bunch of months.

I think most of us already have some idea about that possibility.

Blues

De jure = from the court, meaning defined by law. I think you meant du jour, French for of the day, commonly used to refer to something that happens or changes often.

OK. I get it that you feel I am wrong. And I was trying for du jour. I never was a particularly good speller.

I may well have completely misjudged that there might be a reaction from the media/public. The majority here clearly thinks so. The public does not react the same way to Hyundais as they do guns. I think they will be just fine.

OK. I get it that you feel I am wrong. And I was trying for du jour. I never was a particularly good speller.

I may well have completely misjudged that there might be a reaction from the media/public. The majority here clearly thinks so. The public does not react the same way to Hyundais as they do guns. I think they will be just fine.

Actually, I do agree with you. I think it would be a smart marketing move to pull sales ads for a number of days and instead turn the focus onto educating people about their right to carry, offering classes, and turning their focus to selling weapons for concealed carry. It doesn't hurt to show a little sensitivity and be proactive in situations like this, and it can really help your reputation in the long run.

Thanks localgirl. That was what I was trying to put forward. Many of the responses here were exactly the wrong kind of mindset to apply sensitivity/compassion rather than simply go to aggressive pro-gun rhetoric. It just would send the wrong message and make later attempts to educate be rejected out of hand as just something else from those crazy gun people. There are two extremely polarized groups trying to win the hearts and minds of the same set of the population.

There are two extremely polarized groups trying to win the hearts and minds of the same set of the population.

For the record, I'm not trying to win anyone's heart or mind. I'm just exercising my right to express my opinion and my right to keep and bear. The other side of what you call a "polarized" argument is simply interested in usurping those rights. No single event is justification to allow that to happen.

And I hardly think saying that Gander Mountain has every right to hold a sale anytime they want equals an expression of "aggressive pro-gun rhetoric." That quote right there is more aggressive towards pro-gunners than anything anyone else has said in this thread against anti-gunners, not to mention that it's completely unsubstantiated as an existent meme among the general public.

I just surfed through MSLSD and saw a video clip of a Gander Mountain on the screen, so I stopped to hear what they were saying. The on-air (no) personality was interviewing a Brady Bunch big-wig (don't recall his name). All she said was that the guns were purchased legally at three different stores, one Bass Pro Shops and two different Gander Mountain stores, and then she asked how registration laws or stricter laws on the mentally ill having access to guns would help since the shooter had no criminal record and no mental health issues that have been revealed as of this time. The Brady guy went into his stock ban assault weapons, ban high-cap mags spiel, and never said a word about GM or BPS having anything to with the "evils" of this maniac's access to the weapons. Not a single word.

I think it would be a smart marketing move to pull sales ads for a number of days and instead turn the focus onto educating people about their right to carry, offering classes, and turning their focus to selling weapons for concealed carry. It doesn't hurt to show a little sensitivity and be proactive in situations like this, and it can really help your reputation in the long run.

Pull sales ads and, instead, focus on selling only concealed carry guns? That's the "sensitive" thing to do? Since Gander Mountain stocks concealed carry guns, their sales ads already include a focus on selling them. How does having a sale interfere with that in any way? And where is there even a scintilla of evidence that their reputation is harmed in any way by holding a sale on their own terms instead of on yours or alternety's?

Weird.

Blues

If gun owners/carriers/businesses change what they do and tippy toe around afraid of "offending" the anti gun crowd... the anti gun crowd just "owned" ya.

Carrying a gun, selling a gun, buying a gun, having a gun sale, isn't about being "insensitive" to the victims... but....using the victims of the tragedy as a way to push an anti gun agenda most definitely IS.................... "insensitive".

Still not as bad as this:

Aurora massacre: Store uses #Aurora on Twitter to promote dress - latimes.com

After a gunman killed at least 12 people and injured dozens more in Aurora, Colo., early Friday, the word "Aurora" began trending on Twitter. Not long after, online retailer Celeb Boutique wondered in a tweet whether that trend was due to a Kim Kardashian-inspired dress it sells, dubbed the Aurora.

"#Aurora is trending, clearly about our Kim K inspired dress ;)" the tweet said, followed by a link to the product page for the $157 white frock.

Stupid is as stupid does. and anything to do with the Kardashian's is stupid.

I disagree. Spend a bit of time listening what the media says about this sort of thing (previous shootings, Zimmerman, etc.). Where did they get the guns - why anyone could do that. Weakens argument that most criminal use is of illegal guns. A supplier to the perpetrator has no feelings but profit. Magazines highlighted. Each gun identified by caliber. Badger the sellers. BluesStringer; I am trying to think the way the anti-gun people and media view things. How you and I feel about it is not of any consequence in the overall arena. Inflammatory rhetoric by pro-gun people simply widen the gap.

We have what has been presented as the worst shooting in the US. Flying flags at half mast in the entire country. Photos of grieving friends and families. Wait for the funerals. People from the theater saying on national networks that it was unbearably horrific and they never want to see that happen to anyone again. I believe it would be more beneficial to the CCW community to show support and concern rather than "tuff **** about your sensibilities, it's a sale". Many of the population simply does not think the way you and I probably do. I really suspect many will be offended. Or not. I just don't know; but I would not purposly antagonise anyone over it. GM could get ahead of the curve by making a statement in support of the victims, point out that they did nothing wrong in the sales, and that the emails and attendant advertising were in place to launch. Or I could simply be full of crap. We will have some idea in somewhere between a couple of days and a bunch of months.

Okay so every time there is a horrific multiple death car accident do you think the car manufacturer should "get ahead of the curve" and come out to "make a statement in support of the victims"? WTH?!! When are we going to come to the realization that the device is an inanimate object in the hands of a criminal and the criminal does not conform to societal norms? Get your head in the game man! When the 'antis' start their BS roll you have to be willing to roll back hard and heavy about how stupid their argument is. No matter what the circumstance, a tool in the hands of a criminal can be used against the sheeple. A car, a hammer, a knife, a baseball bat and yes, a gun are nothing more than tools but when a deranged crazy gets behind anyone of them mayhem and death can ensure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back