Knowing Your Invisible Line ~ When to draw your weapon.

the invisible line is very clearly marked for me; when you can clearly articulate what the bad guy did that caused you enough fear for your life that you felt the need for a gun then, you draw

I don't think you can just make a blanket statement like that and expect it to always work out just as you stated. I agree totally about "when you can clearly articulate what the bad guy did to cause you to fear for your life. I think those are key words to think about since you may be asked in some states, AND PROVE, why you were in fear for your life.

My thought is that you can be in a situation where you are in fear for your life and NOT be able to draw at that point.
Being able to think quick and make life or death decisions in an instant are easier for some than others.

I posted this for awareness purposes only. I know there are people that don't even think in those "tactical terms" and those are the ones that are more likely to fold or make a mistake in a violent encounter.

I hate this video, and I feel bad for the officer and his family. I first saw this vid on this site and it is a good example of an individual, in this case a LEO, not knowing where that line is, or not being able to act. Pretty sad.

I agree with trophy hunter here, there are way too many variables to be able to plan for. I think trainning will allow instinct the opportunity to take controll if needed. You can almost bet that if you run 100 scenarios in your mind, what actually happens will not be the same.

An example for this is, have you ever practiced a conversation you wanted to have with someone..you practice by yourself and go over every responce you can think they might use... When the conversation actually happens, it never goes as you practiced.

You can not define your line and it is a waste of your valuable time to try... may I suggest using your time to better advantage by taking your spouse or significant other out to a wonderful dinner and then go dancing. you stand a better chance of being able to handel the action after that, and it's more fun than being attacked by a BG....LOL Of course you can never get enough practice in.. TRAIN, TRAIN, TAKE A NAP AND THEN TRAIN SOME MORE.... Good luck.

Being in a wheelchair makes my line about 1ft in any direction. Anyone close to me can be a threat at any time. So there are different lines for everyone. This also makes my choice of weapon used, and how I carry different from most as well.

I live in metropolitan area where there are several firearms ranges that teach a variety of tactical defense firearms classes to civilians. There are also numerous competitive tactical shooting leagues that give shooters at all skill levels the opportunity to respond to what they might encounter in a parking lot, cafe, park or at home. These classes are designed for civilians to make them more confident in their shooting abilities AND reduce the liklihood of being overcome by fear when the chips are down. A degree of fear is a good thing during a deadly force encounter you just have to learn to manage fear by using calming techniques like breathing and having confidence in your ability as well as the will to survive.

In my humble opinion, carrying a firearm for self defense is an enormous responsibility. Taking a course a few times a year at your local firearms range won't break the bank and you will learn to be a better shooter and how to respond to common situations. You might even meet some like minded people and have some fun. The following are bullets from a card that I was issued years ago and I that I still carry in my wallet. This positive self talk is geared towards law enforcement officers but they can be applied to anyone facing a potentional deadly force encounter. Stay safe!

Positive Self-Talk
I know the tactics that I need
I am skilled with my firearms
I can stay focused on what I have to do
I have options for controlling the problem
I can decide not to be afraid
I can breath deeply to control stress anytime I am tense
I can defeat any threat against me
I can use deadly force to save my life or the life of someone else
I can survive and keep going, no matter what, even if I am hit

Being in a wheelchair makes my line about 1ft in any direction. Anyone close to me can be a threat at any time. So there are different lines for everyone. This also makes my choice of weapon used, and how I carry different from most as well.

Amen, I too am in a wheel chair and it does take some pratice, but can be accomplished.

I live in metropolitan area where there are several firearms ranges that teach a variety of tactical defense firearms classes to civilians. There are also numerous competitive tactical shooting leagues that give shooters at all skill levels the opportunity to respond to what they might encounter in a parking lot, cafe, park or at home. These classes are designed for civilians to make them more confident in their shooting abilities AND reduce the liklihood of being overcome by fear when the chips are down. A degree of fear is a good thing during a deadly force encounter you just have to learn to manage fear by using calming techniques like breathing and having confidence in your ability as well as the will to survive.

In my humble opinion, carrying a firearm for self defense is an enormous responsibility. Taking a course a few times a year at your local firearms range won't break the bank and you will learn to be a better shooter and how to respond to common situations. You might even meet some like minded people and have some fun. The following are bullets from a card that I was issued years ago and I that I still carry in my wallet. This positive self talk is geared towards law enforcement officers but they can be applied to anyone facing a potentional deadly force encounter. Stay safe!

Positive Self-Talk
I know the tactics that I need
I am skilled with my firearms
I can stay focused on what I have to do
I have options for controlling the problem
I can decide not to be afraid
I can breath deeply to control stress anytime I am tense
I can defeat any threat against me
I can use deadly force to save my life or the life of someone else
I can survive and keep going, no matter what, even if I am hit
If you have to talk yourself into action, your not ready to carry. Put the gun in the safe untill you no longer need the pep talk.

I believe pep talks and positive self talk can help anyone in multiple situations. I would be more thoughtful about telling someone to give up their defense because they motivate themselves.

The line you speak of is different for everyone. Mine is very short. I by no means go looking for trouble but I have been trained and conditioned by the good ole USMC that as soon as I see someone with hostile intent or make a hostile action, muscle memory will kick in like someone switched on a light switch in my mind and I will respond with force. Seeing as how i live in a state with castle doctrine/stand your ground, as well we the "third party rule I have absolutely nothing to worry about. Law here stated you cannot be charged with any legal or civil penalties..So when my conditioned training kicks in I dont have any worries. Not to start a pissing contest but in country I have taken a few lives so my fear/reluctance to take a human life if necessary to do so to protect myself, my family, or someone in desperate need of help has left my a long time ago. You must must must do whatever you can to MENTALLY prepare yourself to do the same. Whether you value human life or not it will change you, however when the life you take is that of someone who would just as soon kill you or rape you or what have you...i assure taking them down will not be as emotionally devastating as you might think..part of the way they conditioned us to be able to eliminate a threat to ourselves is not not thing of them as people. Once they make the decision to attempt to kill you, rob you, rape your wife/girlfriend/daughter/sister, or simply an innocent (sheep) they forfeit their right to life. many may disagree with this suto philosophy but from experience, it works.
Semper Fi

I believe pep talks and positive self talk can help anyone in multiple situations. I would be more thoughtful about telling someone to give up their defense because they motivate themselves.

I agree Firefighterchen! Anyone that has never had to take a deep breath and give themselves a silent pep talk has either never been in a real life threatening jam OR they are just plain crazy! Fear is a normal reaction to danger and learning to control it effectively is a key element to surviving on the street.

I agree Firefighterchen! Anyone that has never had to take a deep breath and give themselves a silent pep talk has either never been in a real life threatening jam OR they are just plain crazy! Fear is a normal reaction to danger and learning to control it effectively is a key element to surviving on the street.[/QUOTE]

Lol everyone has their ways, maybe willy doesn't need prep talks, which is fine, that doesn't make him crazy, or mean he hasn't been in situation fubar...to each his own

I give myself pep talks when I can before each patient I help, before each fire I respond too, but I wouldn't say I should put my boots in the closet and fight fire another day when I don't need the pep talks...

Again...to each his own...

I agree Firefighterchen! Anyone that has never had to take a deep breath and give themselves a silent pep talk has either never been in a real life threatening jam OR they are just plain crazy! Fear is a normal reaction to danger and learning to control it effectively is a key element to surviving on the street.

Lol everyone has their ways, maybe willy doesn't need prep talks, which is fine, that doesn't make him crazy, or mean he hasn't been in situation fubar...to each his own

I give myself pep talks when I can before each patient I help, before each fire I respond too, but I wouldn't say I should put my boots in the closet and fight fire another day when I don't need the pep talks...

Again...to each his own...[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to imply anything specifically about Willy. No doubt he's a good guy, afterall he likes firearms and is a member of this forum. In general terms I'll say that I've worked with a few guys in the military and law enforcement that talked big in garrison or at the station and when the kim chee hit the fan they were either no where to be found or they were taking unnecessary chances that I wanted no part of. Fear is a natural part of our "Fight or Flight" mechanism wired into our parasympathetic nervous systems. I believe that it's important to understand it and manage it and not let it manage you. As my FTO told me many years ago, pick your partners carefully as your life may depend on it. That includes the guy you look in the mirror everyday!

legal but in country I have taken a few lives so my fear/reluctance to take a human life if necessary to do so to protect myself, my family, or someone in desperate need of help has left my a long time ago.

IME people that make such claims are either sociopaths or full of ****, Just sayin'

IME people that make such claims are either sociopaths or full of ****, Just sayin'

hahaha oh Treo. Im neither one of those things. See there are these things called wars that happen sometimes and brave Men willing to put their lives on the line to protect your freedoms you cherish so dearly(you're welcome by the way). I happen to have been one of those men, but it just so happened that the other country also had brave men that were fighting for their cause as well. Now both men fire guns at each other and sometimes the bullets hit the man and he dies.. Listen smart ***, all I was saying is I have had to kill another human being so I know what its like on the other side of the line the poster is talking about. I can be confident that in a situation I will have no problem doing it again if absolutely necessary to protect me and my own. Id sure hate to be one of those people to have a gun at home but end up getting killed or raped anyways because they're too afraid to take a precious human life. Just sayin'

hahaha oh Treo. Im neither one of those things. See there are these things called wars that happen sometimes and brave Men willing to put their lives on the line to protect your freedoms you cherish so dearly(you're welcome by the way). I happen to have been one of those men, but it just so happened that the other country also had brave men that were fighting for their cause as well. Now both men fire guns at each other and sometimes the bullets hit the man and he dies.. Listen smart ***, all I was saying is I have had to kill another human being so I know what its like on the other side of the line the poster is talking about. I can be confident that in a situation I will have no problem doing it again if absolutely necessary to protect me and my own. Id sure hate to be one of those people to have a gun at home but end up getting killed or raped anyways because they're too afraid to take a precious human life. Just sayin'

Cool, now post a photo of you "in country"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back