Keeping it concealed?

Criminals who have been interviewed have also stated that they fear armed citizens more than the police. I suspect the reason for that is the armed citizen will just shoot them, whereas the police officer will attempt to apprehend them first.

Slightly off the track but parents do not restrain their children, if I had created a problem in a restaurant when little I would have been walked to the bathroom and given a talk, times change and circumstances change. If Texas passes open carry it will still be a choice, but if legal I don't care what folks think. Question in restaurant "do you mind if I smoke"? not at all "do you mind if I fart"?

A talk? I would have gotten an ass whippin. lol

Criminals who have been interviewed have also stated that they fear armed citizens more than the police. I suspect the reason for that is the armed citizen will just shoot them, whereas the police officer will attempt to apprehend them first.

"Stop or I will...." "Yes emergency 911...please send the corner, I have just.........":triniti:

I'm for both open or concealed but if a crime is going down and you are open carry, might you be the first target?

Why would that make you a target? That is what I can't wrap my head around.

I disagree. This has never been true and never will be true, recent events have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that shooting an officer is a completely different level than shooting a citizen.

To each his own. However, in regards to your comment about how shooting an officer is different... It is different in the sense that the media will publicize it much more than if it were a citizen, and the police officers take it more personally. If you are saying it's not true because police officers aren't targeted, you can't say that the reason they aren't targeted is because they have a weapon. I don't see stories about people who open carry being targeted like people portray. Just my opinion.

I guess my thinking is that if I'm a bad guy and I am in a place to rob it I would shoot the guy first that I knew had a gun and could soot me.

If I was a bad guy, and I was going to rob a place and I saw someone carrying a firearm, I'd wait till they left to increase my chances of surviving.

I guess my thinking is that if I'm a bad guy and I am in a place to rob it I would shoot the guy first that I knew had a gun and could soot me.
If I was a bad guy, and I was going to rob a place and I saw someone carrying a firearm, I'd wait till they left to increase my chances of surviving.
Apparently the criminals in the story below agreed with Firefighterchen.

Link Removed

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw

-snip-
Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew.

I wonder how come that "well armed robbery crew" didn't just storm into the waffle house and shoot the open carriers first?

Apparently the criminals in the story below agreed with Firefighterchen.

Link Removed

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw

-snip-
Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew.

I wonder how come that "well armed robbery crew" didn't just storm into the waffle house and shoot the open carriers first?

Interesting, glad to see that works. Like I said I'm for both open and concealed. Looks like open carry might be a better crime deterrent.

Interesting, glad to see that works. Like I said I'm for both open and concealed. Looks like open carry might be a better crime deterrent.
Some food for thought... and as always folks can, and will, make their own decisions... not to mention that in some States open carry is not a legal option so those folks are just not able to open carry legally.

Much is made about the "element of surprise" where concealed carry is concerned but the truth is that "element of surprise" is nothing more than the bad guy discovering his intended victim has a gun to fight back with.

With concealed carry that "element of surprise"... the bad guy discovering his victim has a gun... comes after the attack has already begun and the victim now has to actually expose/draw/fire his gun to fend off the attacker.

With open carry the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun even before the attack begins... and that "surprise" may be enough to cause the bad guy to decide to choose a different victim.. a victim that appears to not have a gun and, since the bad guy can't see a gun, he may move on to attack an unarmed person or a concealed carrier since they both look like they are unarmed.

But the truth is... both concealed and open carry possess the very same "element of surprise" ... it's just that with open carry that element of surprise may prevent the attack while the victim still has the means to defend... while with concealed carry the element of surprise can defend but it cannot prevent.

Real world results? My sidearm openly carried in plain sight can "surprise" a bad guy into changing his mind about attacking me and pass me by. But the next guy who is concealed carrying the bad guy chooses for a victim does get attacked because he appears unarmed and has to actually use his gun to "surprise" the bad guy. But in the meantime...

Because the bad guy passed me by I was not attacked and I went home unharmed to sit in my recliner, put my feet up, and watch the news coverage about the concealed carrier who had to defend himself from a bad guy.

Like I said... everyone gets to decide for themselves what they will do....

Well put Bikenut. Unless the Open Carrier is walking down a street or standing in a store, up front, how is the BG going to notice the Good Guy is carrying in the

first place?

It's not like the exposed gun is glowing in the dark. In a car or restaurant the BG isn't going to see his gun in order to target him first. If they (BG) sees his weapon

most will pass him bye in order for easier pickings.

I do too, especially those concealed carry only snobs that just can't resist coming up to me and telling me that they carry their gun concealed and that I should too.

Ha! Ive had that happen too! Defeats the purpose. They are their own worst enemy sometimes

Well put Bikenut. Unless the Open Carrier is walking down a street or standing in a store, up front, how is the BG going to notice the Good Guy is carrying in the

first place?

It's not like the exposed gun is glowing in the dark. In a car or restaurant the BG isn't going to see his gun in order to target him first. If they (BG) sees his weapon

most will pass him bye in order for easier pickings.
I think the strongest deterrent is that the person OCing knows how to use his/her weapon and what scares the BG the most is that there is almost no chance of survival in a direct confrontation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back