It Finally Happened

I have acquaintances/friends who are state boys and local cops. To a man, they all said that they basically don't even think about the CCW folks. We have no requirement here (North Dakota) to let LEO know we're carrying when they stop us, but most CCW guys I know do it out of courtesy. LEO that I informed recently just waved his hand like: "who gives a sh#t". One of 'em told me that this is gun country, that if they got excited about all the guns around, their heads would swivel off their necks. Gotta love it; it's one reason I moved here years ago. BTW, the state enjoys a VERY low violent crime rate (wonder why that is?).

I have acquaintances/friends who are state boys and local cops. To a man, they all said that they basically don't even think about the CCW folks. We have no requirement here (North Dakota) to let LEO know we're carrying when they stop us, but most CCW guys I know do it out of courtesy. LEO that I informed recently just waved his hand like: "who gives a sh#t". One of 'em told me that this is gun country, that if they got excited about all the guns around, their heads would swivel off their necks. Gotta love it; it's one reason I moved here years ago. BTW, the state enjoys a VERY low violent crime rate (wonder why that is?).

As an active LEO I can tell you the main thing for me is that during the stop the driver or passenger for that matter keep their hands where I can see them at ALL times and not do a bunch of "figgitting". No putting their hands behind them or in their pockets. As for telling me that they are carrying or handing me their permit....I really don't care.

I too am a NC resident, with a CC permit.

"License check" traffic stops are quite comon here. Both the County deputies and the State Troopers conduct them, usually on rural roads, and mostly on Fri and Sat nights. In fact, I was stopped just last night coming home from a restaurant with my wife.

I keep my CC permit behind my Driver's license and hand both of them to the LEO together. If I am carrying, I immediately advise the officer that I have a loaded handgun,( if I'm carrying, you can rest assured its loaded, with one in the chamber!) and tell him where its located. (on my person, in the console, glove box, etc). Our CC permit law here in NC requires that you provide any LEO with your permit and advise him if you are armed.

I have never been hassled by any LEO over carrying. The instructor for the mandatory CCW training class told us that most LEOs will realize that the holder of a permit has been carefully investigated, and holding a carry permit is a certification that you are a certified "good guy". My experience suggest this is the case.

iamtheuglyamerican

My personal experiences here in Arkansas have been very mixed. State Police, having been thoroughly trained, have been almost universally professional and coutious. Locals however, I believe watch too much "Cops" and not near enough training videos. Here local municipalities can, and do, hire pretty much just anyone off the street with little or no training. Counties are a little better, but not much. I used to think it was a good idea, and couteous as J.T. said, to automatically tell the officer. But here the local officers are so unpredictable, I wait for them to ask, THEN offer up all my info and licences. I run a road service, so even the local guys all know who I am; it's just when a new guy comes aboard that maybe feels he has something to prove. My business carries me to alot of small towns however, and those "routine traffic stops" at two in the morning can be a real nightmare.

I too am a NC resident, with a CC permit.

"License check" traffic stops are quite comon here. Both the County deputies and the State Troopers conduct them, usually on rural roads, and mostly on Fri and Sat nights. In fact, I was stopped just last night coming home from a restaurant with my wife.

I keep my CC permit behind my Driver's license and hand both of them to the LEO together. If I am carrying, I immediately advise the officer that I have a loaded handgun,( if I'm carrying, you can rest assured its loaded, with one in the chamber!) and tell him where its located. (on my person, in the console, glove box, etc). Our CC permit law here in NC requires that you provide any LEO with your permit and advise him if you are armed.

I have never been hassled by any LEO over carrying. The instructor for the mandatory CCW training class told us that most LEOs will realize that the holder of a permit has been carefully investigated, and holding a carry permit is a certification that you are a certified "good guy". My experience suggest this is the case.

Yup, the LEOs here in NC, in everyone of my experiences all over the state, have been positive about CC.

Yup, the LEOs here in NC, in everyone of my experiences all over the state, have been positive about CC.

True story, FWIW.

I don't know how long you've lived in NC, (but since your name is Bass, I'd guess you're a native), but prior to the passage of the CCW law here, many people kept a handgun in the glove box or console. It was a misdemeanor, and based on my observations and experience, rarely even enforced, unless you were creating some problem.

I live in a rural area, and own a building in the nearby town (population about 300) where I store tools and building materials. (I'm a builder). My building is right across the street from the town police department. Often I would pull up next to the building, and get out of my truck, leaving it running, while I ran in to get, or store, a tool. I kept a set of keys in the glove box, including the key to teh building.

On one occassion. I came back out of the building to find I had acidentally locked the truck door. So here I am, locked out of my truck, with the engine running. I walked across the street to the police department to see if he would use a slim jum to get me back in my truck. He got his "tool" and followed me over to teh truck, and began trying to open the door. As I looked over his shoulder, I was shocked to see I had left teh glove box door open, with my 4" barrelled Taurus Model 66 .357 laying there in plain sight. At that time, I did NOT have a CCW. Like I said, lots of folks had carried for years before teh permit system.

He couldn't get teh door open, and I got panicky, and told him thanks anyway, not to waste any more time, I would call my wife,, etc, anything to get him out of there.

But he said "Wait a minute, let me call the cheif and get him over here" I was pretty sure it wasn't because he wanted the cheif to help to him open the door. The cheif gave a couple of tugs on the slim jim and said "well, I guess we can't open it". Then the deputy pulled him aside and they had a brief conversation. The cheif cam back to the truck and said, "Well, I guess if I can see it, its not concealed, is it?"

He asked if I had a CCW, and I said no. He told me that since teh CCW law became effective, concealed carry was now a felony, and siad I really should get a permit if I wanted to keep a gun in the glove box..

I signed up for my traiining course the next week, and got my permit.

bill

I've held CCH permits in several states, being in the military for years, I moved around alot. I have lived in NC now since 2002 and I have been through a number of checkpoints and have been stopped once for speeding. The officers were all polite and professional, some of them even got to recognise me and knew I was packing before I even said anything!!
I have never been hassled about my CCH anywhere else either. But then again, maybe it's because I am a gun -toting chick!:laugh:

I've held CCH permits in several states, being in the military for years, I moved around alot. I have lived in NC now since 2002 and I have been through a number of checkpoints and have been stopped once for speeding. The officers were all polite and professional, some of them even got to recognise me and knew I was packing before I even said anything!!
I have never been hassled about my CCH anywhere else either. But then again, maybe it's because I am a gun -toting chick!:laugh:

Geez, I've tried batting my eyes at the officer and I didn't get anywhere. :biggrin: You must be better-looking than I am! Oh, wait...right...I'm a dude. Duh....

Had several LEO "official" encounters, while CCW - one on a Harley. Never a problem (so far) in Texas with DPS or local police. All asked if I was carrying, a "yes sir" usually was followed by a "where is it?" question, followed by a "leave it there" request when the location was given. All were polite. BTW, all were check points, no tickets received!

I live near Boise Idaho. And CCW holders are considered the "good guys" for the most part. I am glad that your encounter went smoothly.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back