Is this a stupid idea or not...

Red Hat

Canada unveils new speed bump: optical illusion of a child

Link Removed

3dgirl1.gif

What a bad idea! I can see accidents happening when people try to swerve to miss the illusion. Also when people get accustom to it I can see children being hit because drivers might think they are an illusion.

I have to agree with Red Hat here. I think this is going to end up causing some issues. I guess I would have to see it in action to make any real judgement on it, but from the sound of it, I don't think its a good idea. I can see some accidents happening over this. Just my $.02

What a bad idea. You're talking about drivers that don't pay close attention half the time. All of a sudden they see this and freak and swerve. Not a good idea, esp. for older drivers where depth perception could be an issue.

desensitization...??

When I saw this on the news my first thought was, what if people get accustomed to seeing" illusions" of children in the street? Would there not be a possibility some would subconsciously begin to ignore the children they see in the street? Or am I over thinking it?:wacko:

As was mentioned, these illusions only work from one angle/distance.
It will surprise people the first time they see it and then it will promptly be ignored every time after that. It is a waste of money.

The safety it creates is just as illusionary as the image.

There is no substitute for paying attention while driving. I watched a show on Discovery about the strict laws on the roads in Germany, and was thinking how many Americans would loose their licences if some of those laws were applied here. Oh, to answer the original question, dumb idea. JMHO.:fie:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back