Is a holster required in Washington State?

memyself

I'm looking at a belt clip for my Ruger LCP but happened upon another forum calling its legality into question. Just making sure, any input?

I'm looking at a belt clip for my Ruger LCP but happened upon another forum calling its legality into question. Just making sure, any input?

Are you talking about a pocket clip? I have no idea what a belt clip is but if your asking about something like this Link Removed ? I would have to ask why? With nothing covering the trigger if something should get stick in the trigger guard your setting your self up for a AD.

Are you talking about a pocket clip? I have no idea what a belt clip is but if your asking about something like this Link Removed ? I would have to ask why? With nothing covering the trigger if something should get stick in the trigger guard your setting your self up for a AD.

+1 on that with the exception of it is no longer considered an AD or accidental discharge. Todays terminology in the Army is ND or negligent discharge:to_pick_ones_nose:

+1 on that with the exception of it is no longer considered an AD or accidental discharge. Todays terminology in the Army is ND or negligent discharge:to_pick_ones_nose:

Well in this case a ND would fit better. Because they are knowingly walking around around with a unsafe weapon.:biggrin:

Well in this case a ND would fit better. Because they are knowingly walking around around with a unsafe weapon.:biggrin:

Well, I have a LCP and though it does not have a physical safety, one can always not have a round loaded in the chamber. How much effort an time is required to jack a round into the chamber ready to fire? IMHO, not much!

If you do not fire the round, it is another simple matter to drop the clip, open the breech and the unspent round comes out. Reload the unspent round back into the clip and away you go.

Well, I have a LCP and though it does not have a physical safety, one can always not have a round loaded in the chamber. How much effort an time is required to jack a round into the chamber ready to fire? IMHO, not much!

If you do not fire the round, it is another simple matter to drop the clip, open the breech and the unspent round comes out. Reload the unspent round back into the clip and away you go.

They make a LCP revolver?

gf

When carrying a concealed firearm, ALWAYS use a holster. It is very important that you protect the trigger, as failure to do so is one of the most common causes of negligent discharges (ND). As the owner of the firearm, and the one in control of the firearm, YOU are responsible for every bullet that exits the barrel.

Regardless of if you carry chambered or not, you should have a good holster that will keep the firearm where you need it to be, AND protect the trigger, so the probability of a ND is greatly reduced.

gf

I don't know if a holster is required, but I do use the fobus holster made for the ruger LCP and I find it first rate. It's low profile and has excellent retention.

i live in eastern washington 60 miles west of spokane and to my knowledge there is no law requiring an holster. however to be safe a holster should always be used. one of my guns is a north american arms 22 magnum mini-revolver and i carry it in a pocket holster. the only time i like belt or clip-on holsters is if there is a way to be sure that they dont come off thus losing your gun. accessibility is always important as you need to access the gun quickly and making sure that when you draw your gun you dont draw your holster as well. of course a holster should protect the gun as well. i know there are many more qualified people on this forum than me but to the best of my knowledge there is no law regarding how you may conceal your gun in washington. when i got my cpl i asked the sheriff about any restrictions on how i could carry and was told there was none. i also researched the rcw. however concealed does mean concealed and i am told there are a few over zealous leo who believe that if you accidentally show your firearm you are guilty of brandishing. i can not cite any specific case law on that however. as i understand washinton is an open carry state but open carry is tolerated sometimes and sometimes not depending where you are. and before anybody gets mad i am not against open carry. i just think it is a matter of choice concealed or open carry. whatever you do always be safe and never stop practicing. what part of washinton do you live in?

Thanks for the input all. If I did utilize an external clip, it would be for immediate expediency, and I simply wanted the option. I would not have a round chambered in that event, and if I did't have an inside pant holster available and my ankle holster just became way too hot, or malf'ed, I'd like to know I can relocate easily. A clip, even if never used, leaves that option on the table.

I think he may be reffering to the LCR, not the LCP. As you are probably well aware, that LCP does not use a "clip" to load or feed ammo, it uses a detachable magazine.

Link Removed

CLIP
A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by manufacturers and the military. There is no argument that it can also mean a separate device for holding and transferring a group of cartridges to a fixed or detachable magazine or as a device inserted with cartridges into the mechanism of a firearm becoming, in effect, part of that mechanism.

Clip - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm

Not required, but recommended

Washington does not require a concealed weapon be holstered. Most of the literature I have read, recommends using a holster to protect the weapon and reduce the chance of a ND.

Washington is open carry in the country side. Do not OC in the cities, it could cost you a weapon and your freedom. King County and the Seattle/Bellevue metro area are places to keep your weapon out of sight. The permit process is straight forward and the turn-around is reasonably short.

Respectfully, pj_england, I must disagree with you. Seattle PD, SEA-TAC PD, and KCSO have no problems with open carry. Members of my group and I open carry in Seattle and SEA-TAC airport very regularly.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back