is .380 enough gun?

If you are shooting rabbits, a 380 is fine.

HEY! You leave them rabbits alone and shoot bad guys!

:dirol:

I believe that the gun you have with you is much more useful that the gun you don't. That being said, while I love my Glock 23 in .40, a Bersa .380 gets lots more miles with me. My wife and I both are looking at the Sig P238 in the near future, again in .380. Small, yes; but that's also kinda the point! I don't have the right build for carrying a cannon, so this works for me. And, as someone said, ammo choice will help as well.

Go for the Sig P238 a great pocket gun I have one and love it. I also have the Ruger LCP and the Kel-Tec P3AT. I have owned the Kel-tec about 10 years and carried it till the LPC came out. Most peolpe say same gun, but my opinon the LCP is a better gun. I purchased the Sig about 2 years ago and think it's the best. Good sights, lacking on both the Ruger and Kel-Tec. The sig is a more accurate, comfortable, to hold and fire. In Las Vegas,summer ware is shorts and tee shirts, all of the above are good to carry. I don't need or want to conceal anything larger!

Sig also makes the P-938 slightly larger in 9mm. I looked at it last week and thinking about getting one. I have wanted the Kimber Solo since it was interduced last year, and have had my name on all of the Kimber dealers want list since, no one has called! begining to think they named it Solo because they only made one.............

If you are shooting rabbits, a 380 is fine.

HEY! You leave them rabbits alone and shoot bad guys!

I figured I'd catch one for rabbits - should have said squirrels (no letters please) - but notice I did upgrade to coyotes :biggrin:

.380 is fine for concealed carry. I rotate between a .357 (going into the mountains), a 9mm (casual clothes) and a .380 pocket gun (work attire without jacket) and I never feel undergunned with the .380. If you obsess about caliber "stopping power" I can tell you from personal experience you will obsess about everything else. When I switched to my .357 I worried about not having enough rounds and slow reloads. Screw it. Life's too short to worry about being prepared for everything. If you're the type who worries about shooting through car doors, body armor or cinder blocks, you'll find a reason to not be satisfied with a .357 or .44. And for every story of a BG who survives a .380 hit, there's a story about a goblin who pushes through a hail of .45 ACP to put the hurt on someone. Shoot what you got, carry what you shoot.

There was another thread where people were talking about maybe buying .380s but the ammo might be scarce. Started me wondering if a .380 is enough gun. Found this article.

Carry Enough Gun: Just Say ‘No’ to Mouseguns for Off-Duty and Back-Up :: Blue Sheepdog

If seems to indicate that it is not but one of the commenters at the bottom of the article has a different opinion and backs it up with test results on a pork shoulder.

I figure any handgun will do the trick under certain conditions if fired accurately but is a .380 really a good choice?

Thoughts?

Hi Avid...if you are accurate, it is enough gun....

Let's face it. A .380 Auto is enough gun in many situations, IF the person behind that gun does the job, and you have the BEST possible gun and ammo you can have. Take every advantage you can, starting with good ammo. Practice, Practice, Practice. Nowadays it seems many armed citizens on the streets are facing "Multiple Attackers". Possibly Multiple ARMED Attackers. Chances are, you are going to face 2 or more bad guys. Generally the situation is over or defusing within 2 or 3 shots fired. Make those shots count. I personally opt for Buffalo Bore +p ammo, like the hardcast flat point to ensure enough tactical penetration and bone penetration for my first couple of shots. Followed up with the hottest hollowpoint ammo I can find. Usually Buffalo Bore hollowpoints or Speer Gold Dots. I also pack a minimum of 2 spare mags. It's not my first choice of carry gun, but as I said before, it beats the 45 left at home in the gun safe.

With the kind of summer we've had this year, I have used pocket carry and small gun waistband carry on many occassions. In fact, over about the past 2 or three months, my S&W Titanium Snubby, My Walther PPK/S and my Kimber CDP II 3" have seen the most carry, with an NAA 22 Mag for a back up. Shorts and T-Shirt's and 95 degree weather brings out the small guns. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Kramer Gunleather Pocket Holsters. I also have a couple of Ahern Leather pocket Magazine pouches, including a couple of double mag pouches made for me by Jerry Ahern a few years ago .

Let's face it. A .380 Auto is enough gun in many situations, IF the person behind that gun does the job, and you have the BEST possible gun and ammo you can have. Take every advantage you can, starting with good ammo. Practice, Practice, Practice. Nowadays it seems many armed citizens on the streets are facing "Multiple Attackers". Possibly Multiple ARMED Attackers. Chances are, you are going to face 2 or more bad guys. Generally the situation is over or defusing within 2 or 3 shots fired. Make those shots count. I personally opt for Buffalo Bore +p ammo, like the hardcast flat point to ensure enough tactical penetration and bone penetration for my first couple of shots. Followed up with the hottest hollowpoint ammo I can find. Usually Buffalo Bore hollowpoints or Speer Gold Dots. I also pack a minimum of 2 spare mags. It's not my first choice of carry gun, but as I said before, it beats the 45 left at home in the gun safe.

With the kind of summer we've had this year, I have used pocket carry and small gun waistband carry on many occassions. In fact, over about the past 2 or three months, my S&W Titanium Snubby, My Walther PPK/S and my Kimber CDP II 3" have seen the most carry, with an NAA 22 Mag for a back up. Shorts and T-Shirt's and 95 degree weather brings out the small guns. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Kramer Gunleather Pocket Holsters. I also have a couple of Ahern Leather pocket Magazine pouches, including a couple of double mag pouches made for me by Jerry Ahern a few years ago .

Even the largest handgun calibers are POOR fight stoppers. Is the .380 enough? If you choose to carry one IMHO you better pray it is.

Well. Thread still running after 2+ years! I agree the gun you actually carry is better than the one you left at home. I also think Dan Hammond Sr's advice (from a couple of years back!) is exactly correct. "Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal, in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot." Obviously, conditions can make that vary. There are some great shooting small guns out there now in 9mm and .40. My "small" CCW is the Walther PPS in .40. That's my summer condition CCW. For me, fall/winter/spring, it's a full-size 1911. I've even cc'd my Ruger Redhawk .44mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, but that was because I was having new sights put on my 1911. Train, train, train with whatever you carry!

i think a .380 is plenty for edc but when the government comes to your door wanting to take your guns you may needLink Removed bigger faster and better guns

Bersa Thunder .32
Bersa Thunder .380
Ruger SR9c 9mm

All carry guns and trust them. It's up to me to place shots well.

Even the largest handgun calibers are POOR fight stoppers. Is the .380 enough? If you choose to carry one IMHO you better pray it is.

Agreed.

Just as much as it is important to have a gun, it is also very important to have the most powerful (in light of what little power they do have) gun that you can competently operate.

For me the issue is not so much stopping power but what fits best and most comfortably in my hand. Sure the small calibers will do the job when used correctly and accurately but the get kinda lost in my large hands. I am 6'3'' and my hands are proportionate to that size. I carry a Bursa Thunder ultra compact .45. It shoots nice and with little recoil for it's size. I tried on many different styles and calibers before I settled on this pistol. I also wanted to make sure I got something large enough that it would do the job in short order. I wish to take no chances.

Notice I didn't say it was the ultimate carry gun. All handguns have their limitations. After years as a Paramedic and a LEO, I am well aware of this. But there are plenty of men in the grave from 380's and 22 LR. The first rule of a gunfight, is have a gun. We all can't have immediate access to a 308 battle rifle or a 44 mag revolver when needed. We have to be able to use what we carry. We should carry what we are able to carry. I also noted that 95 degree shorts and t-shirt weather, doesn't always lend itself to carrying a large caliber. As someone who grew up in a LEO / Firearms Instructor Household and became one myself, I grew up in an era when 38 revolvers were the norm, and 38 snubbies and 380 autos were the norm for off duty. I knew several Officers (including my Dad) who shot people in the line of duty and wondered why anyone would need anything more than that. I personally have used a handgun twice to defend myself, and understand how a real shooting works.

I've been carring a 380 for over 20 yrs. with my ccp in Ct.nice size small enough as not to be seen. I have never pulled my gun or used it on anyone.i carry for protection in and out of my home and buisness,for the distance i would be shooting (close range) I feel confident 6 rounds from a 380 will stop someone,but I hope I never find out.

Hey, the .32 auto used to be the gun of choice for police and private citizens and it put many people in the hospital or morgue. The .380 is definately good especially with all the good defense ammo available now. I carry a .32 at times, and a .380 at times and believe they will do the job.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back