Instant Background Check? Really?

Everyone in Nevada needs to go through a background check unless they have a CFP that was issued after July 1, 2011. It costs $25 for each check. The system has been crashing more and more so what used to take 5 minutes waiting for the okay, can take hours when the system goes down. Nevada is a POC state so it doesn't do the FBI check, but its own so it has different hours and equipment. At least when I renew my permit in three years I won't have to worry about the check. Going to be a long three years.

I just scanned all the other replies and didn't see this, but could you be a victim if identity theft? It is happening all the time. No, I don't sell lifelock or whatever its called, lol

Gee, I bought a new handgun just yesterday and it was about a 1 min check time, the call went through on a couple of rings and almost immediately after the cales person finished my info they got the OK. Been that way for all the guns I have bought over many years.

If you are getting a NO, then you need to find out why, the store CAN put you on line with the operator at the other end, they HAVE to tell you why.

Nope. Erroneous information. 27 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 478.102 paragraph (d) provides for carry permits that meet certain requirements can be used to waive the NICS check so long as the valid permit is possessed by the purchaser.

Don't have my CC permit, yet. If I remember correctly the dealer didn't do a check on me, it was performed by the Sheriff's office when I got my purchase permit.
This is in NC.

24ever:305177 said:
I concur Charlie, my Missouri purchases take @ 5 minutes, including the background ck phone call. I do, however, understand Firefly's frustration. If we had a righteous government and criminal justice system, we would not have background checks. 100 years ago, you brought your gun to school and set it in the back of the classroom. On your way home, you shot dinner.

Actually, 30 years ago I brought my 22 rifle on the school bus to participate on rifle club after school. I was 17 years old

Rand was a great author who lived the government lie in Europe. The movie created from her writings, "The Fountainhead" with Gary Cooper is one of my favorites.

I'll take your advice Monday to see if I can get an answer. Could not get one Thursday when this occurred.

There is no NICS number or anything else on the back of a Missouri CCW license. There is a digitized scan bar and donor information on the back the same as a MO drivers license. The CCW license number is the same as the Missouri Drivers license number. Front shows expiration date of 4/15/2015 which means date of issue was 4/16/2012. Tried to pick up the pistol on 4/26, less than 10 days later. I'm guessing the FBI check and the Sheriff's Dept check for the CCW put up a red flag on the IBC. I'll find out Monday. The CCW was $100 of which $65 goes to the Sheriffs Department but that's fodder for another thread.

I'm seeing a common issue here. Each state has it's own rules and laws and fees. There needs to be a single Standardized way of doing this. If I don't have to pay to stand up and give a speech because of the 1st Amendment I shouldn't have to pay extortion money to exercise my Second Amendment Right. Didn't the Poll Tax get thrown out for the very reason it was unconstitutional? Where's the NRA on these issues? I'm just a bit PO'd. What the devil is a "purchase permit?"

After my arrest and trial two years ago where I was found not guilty. I tried buying a new firearm, at the background check I was put in delay. The Feds just let it time out after three days and I picked up the firearm. After that the next times (2) I bought firearms I was approved with no delay.

There is no NICS number or anything else on the back of a Missouri CCW license. There is a digitized scan bar and donor information on the back the same as a MO drivers license. The CCW license number is the same as the Missouri Drivers license number. Front shows expiration date of 4/15/2015 which means date of issue was 4/16/2012. Tried to pick up the pistol on 4/26, less than 10 days later. I'm guessing the FBI check and the Sheriff's Dept check for the CCW put up a red flag on the IBC. I'll find out Monday. The CCW was $100 of which $65 goes to the Sheriffs Department but that's fodder for another thread.
You can also opt not to attach your CCW with you driver's license. My husband and I didn't.

Currently every dealer in every state is required to do a NICS check on every gun buyer. Your carry permit does not override it..

As others have pointed out, that is not correct. NC is among the states that do not require a background check to purchase a firearm if the buyer has a NC CC permit.

I was wrong and I stand corrected. I should have said NICS check or a Brady approved state alternative. There are actually about 19 or 20 states that have at least one Brady approved state alternative to the NICS check. My area just isn't one of them.

News you can use. For those of you who have had problems with the Instant Background Check as I did there is an answer. Only one responder suggested this which tells me others may need the information. There is a NCIS Customer Service number. 877-444-6427. Here's what they will do. Send you the paperwork required to get a National Pin Number. It requires that you send them a copy of your fingerprints from the Sheriffs Dept. In many cases, such as Missouri, the CCW Permit is not enough. There is also a NICS web site where you can download the paperwork. Once you are issued the UPIN that will alleviate problems with the NICS. God only knows for how long. For those interested, I got the call today that I was cleared to pick up my pistol, so Instant for me meant about 5 days. Hope this helps someone.

Many thanks Firefly...That is useful information. I really appreciate it to be updated. I will relay this to my husband too. His CCW is up for renewal soon. I still have a year with mine and another 2 with my Florida one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back