Instant Background Check? Really?

Firefly

OK, I know there are tons of gun owners who have had to put up with this, but why should we have to?
Just purchased a new P9 online. When my new lovechild showed up at the local gun shop I went to pick it up and bring the little bundle home. Could I do that? Noooo! Background check nixed my plans. I had a spanking-new Conceal Carry License for MO and have not had so much as a ticket for more than 15 years and never had a felony charge. But Uncle Sam has the power to stink up the program and offers no explanations when it does. Why is the DEA and Justice Department can allow Mexican Drug Cartels to buy US weaponry and take it back to Mexico and at the same time deny or delay me my right to purchase a legal firearm? What can gun-owners do about what seems to me to be an abuse of power?

Because they can. They really don't want you to have them at all. Having them makes you harder for them to manage.

I concur Charlie, my Missouri purchases take @ 5 minutes, including the background ck phone call. I do, however, understand Firefly's frustration. If we had a righteous government and criminal justice system, we would not have background checks. 100 years ago, you brought your gun to school and set it in the back of the classroom. On your way home, you shot dinner.

I live in Idaho and have a CCW permit, so I don`t have to go through a back ground check when I buy a gun here.

Firefly...I bought my very first gun, a Bersa Thunder 380 and I had to have a background check. I wasn't a citizen then. It did not take even 12 hours. We live about 20 minutes from the gun store I purchased it from and when we got home, we got a message from the gun store in our answering machine that I was approved. When we reached the store the guy said they got my approval 5 minutes before we left the store. I do not mind a background check. And I've had quite a few of them from being an "alien" as they call me then. If I did not get my citizenship, I will be still considered an "alien"...either from the word "alienate" or from outer Venus. When my husband buys a gun, being an American-born and raised, all he shows is his driver's license. (And of course pay for the gun.)

I know it is frustrating to understand the many laws of MO, but most of them are good. We are very good at immigration laws too here. I do not mind background checks nor profiling. It works. It is the Fed's laws that is most confusing, not the local laws. Way before I became a legal alien (then citizen) I also used to ask why the illegals from any country can enter Mexico or Canada and then just walks freely to this country whereas I have to have a passport and return ticket to be able to come here and stay even just for two days. A simple background check is nothing compared to how the TSA made me suffer everytime I travel without my husband just because I came here twice that one week before I became a legal "alien" .

i have a permit for IN. and still have to go through the 5- 10 min. background check. it does not even matter that you have a permit in this state same checks for every body

A government that grants right also can deny them with force if needed. Good luck with resolving the issue.

In the past year Florida has had times where it took a half hour just to get thru to do the check. Last time, it was answered on the first ring and done in less than 2 minutes. All depends on what is going on that day.

My experience has been that firearms I've ordered from out of state and shipped to my LGS have not caused any holds, but guns I've bought from the local fellows stock have caused two holds out of the last three purchases. It seems arbitrary in application. to me. I have been told by the local FFL that if you decline to put your social security number on the 4473, it will cause a hold on your purchase.

Currently every dealer in every state is required to do a NICS check on every gun buyer. Your carry permit does not override it. Your super secret Seal Team 6 clearance or the fact that your employer let's you handle explosives at work will not expedite the process either. Many states issue lifetime permits but just because someone can hand me one that was issued to them during the Clinton administration does not mean they've been a good boy or girl since their team lost that big game. Where your firearm shipped from has no bearing on your status as NICS doesn't ask. Much of the info required on the 4473 is not transferred to NICS but must be completed properly and maintained by the dealer per federal law. So please print legibly, read all questions thoroughly and if you have a common last name I would highly suggest that you neatly write your SSN in that optional box. Last but not least, dealers may refuse to sell a gun to anyone. Just because Bass Pro sells alcohol, it isn't a good idea to smell like booze when you approach the sales staff. We get enough muzzles pointed at us by the sober people.

My shortest check took 20 minutes, longest took around 4 hours.

I wish Colorado would excuse those with permits from the background check.

Currently every dealer in every state is required to do a NICS check on every gun buyer. Your carry permit does not override it.

Nope. Erroneous information. 27 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 478.102 paragraph (d) provides for carry permits that meet certain requirements can be used to waive the NICS check so long as the valid permit is possessed by the purchaser.

In Kentucky, our CCW permits waive the need for an NICS check. All the shop owner has to do is record the license number from the card and away I go. The last four firearms I purchased I didn't need to have my info phoned in.

Of course, I despise the very notion that I have to get permission from our zookeepers in order to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I have never been able to forgive the NRA for that.

In Iowa my CCW has a NICS number on the back. No call is made. So I agree with Navy and ihsv that TheDoaner is wrong. I also think his advice to use a SSN is bad. If you have consistent problems with NICS get a UPIN.

Of course, I despise the very notion that I have to get permission from our zookeepers in order to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I have never been able to forgive the NRA for that.

The NRA is not as gun friendly as we may think.

CHL holders in Texas aren't subject to a background check when you purchase a weapon as long as you bring your CHL with you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back